Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 03:46 AM

13 posts, read 14,921 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
We´ll be moving to Ct in mid february and surely are in need of some good advices !

My husband will be working either in Old Saybrook or in Branford ( company is in the prozess of signing the contracts ) so we have some choices of towns to live in. We have been to Ct twice for a few days and love it.

We would like to live in a small older village, with a nice neighborhood, a little centre with a few shops, a library... but not to big. I need nature around.

My daughter will be in the middle of fourth grade, she is fluent in english and able to read and write in english as well. I am looking for a great school for her. She is very smart and needs to be challenged. I can find school ratings in the net, but that are only numbers. I need more information. I also would like to find a school where she doesn´t have to change school again after end of fourth grade.

As you see, I need you help, advice, experiences it´s very difficult from so far away !

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 07:02 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
The shoreline between Old Saybrook and Branford is beautiful and has some of the nicest towns in Connecticut. I would consider Branford, Guilford or Madison. These towns are charming, have good schools and are great places to raise a family. I am not sure of your price range or if you are buying or renting.

Madison is an affluent, upscale town with excellent schools but it can be expensive. There is a nice small downtown with most of the everyday shopping you will need. Madison also has a beautful waterfront park for town residents and a very nice state beach.

Branford is very nice with a wide range of housing options. If you are renting of looking for a condo, it will likely have the most places to consider. There is a great downtown area and some nice beaches and parks.

Guilford is a very charming town with good schools and a lot to offer. IT has a nice town green with some nice shops and there are a lot of nice family neighborhoods.

The link below give you information on schools here in Connecticut. I recommend that you look for a town with schools that perform at or above the state averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests and offers class sizes of less than 23 students per class. I hope this helps. Jay

State Department of Education - CEDaR

Old 11-17-2011, 07:51 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Guilford or Madison works for a job in Old Saybrook or Branford, if you can afford them. Great towns.

If in Branford, that's not a bad option either.

If the job is in Old Saybrook, it is a fine town itself. Or Old Lyme.

Branford, Old Saybrook and Old Lyme are a bit more affordable than Guilford and Madison.

Although Guilford and Madison are my favorites, and they have the highest rated schools, you can't go wrong with any of the aforementioned towns.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:30 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
I think Essex fits your bill, esp. if his job is in Old Saybrook (closer). Beautiful small downtown. On the Connecticut river. Good schools. Surrounded by nature.
Essex, Connecticut - The best small town in America

Old 11-17-2011, 09:36 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I think Essex fits your bill, esp. if his job is in Old Saybrook (closer). Beautiful small downtown. On the Connecticut river. Good schools. Surrounded by nature.
Essex, Connecticut - The best small town in America
Before I read any responses, I was thinking that Essex would be perfect for them.

It really is an amazing little town. Check it out.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:15 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Essex, Chester, Deep River will all fit the bill. One of the nicest areas of the state and exactly what you are asking for.

http://www.visit-chester.com/major_a...nts/index.html

http://www.visit-chester.com/Chester...ure.7.8.10.pdf

Old 11-17-2011, 10:24 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Before I read any responses, I was thinking that Essex would be perfect for them.

It really is an amazing little town. Check it out.
I know. I LOVE Essex.. And th Griswold Inn...

Old 11-17-2011, 10:27 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Yes, I'd put Essex in the same league as Madison and Guilford. Nice little town. I guess some of the choice is whether you want to be close to the water or not.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:33 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Yes, I'd put Essex in the same league as Madison and Guilford. Nice little town. I guess some of the choice is whether you want to be close to the water or not.
Fortunately, Essex Villiage is right on the river (has the feel of the sound) with coves, marinas and yacht clubs, as well as waterfront restaurants.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:22 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,648 times
Consider Niantic East Lyme. Lots of nature, but a bit farther away than the aforementioned towns. Not as much there, either, in terms of culture. The other shoreline towns are nearer to New Haven, if the need to go there ever arose. Wonderful beach, and the state park Rocky Neck is wonderful. They have a better beach than the town beach. Plenty of woods in which to roam. Schools are good, safe town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut