Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 02:02 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sometimes signal detectors malfunction which causes the signal to either return to a set phasing and timing or fails to detect a vehicle on an approach.
Well, the westbound traffic signal on Jefferson in Fairfield has been "malfunctioning" for at least 5 years now. There is a signal in Darien that has been mis-timed for even longer than that.

Quote:
If this happens you should notify the local police (do not call 911) to do this or if located on a state highway, ConnDOT. Jay
Good luck with that.

I tried awhile ago to contact the local contacts designated by the state of CT: http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/docume...tc/ltalist.pdf.

Didn't do any good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 02:12 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatehumidity View Post
Motorcycles always have these problems because they are not big enough or weigh enough to be detected by the 'sensors'. There always should be an option at the very least to turn on red.
Those types of detectors have not been used in years. Most detectors today are conductive which means that a signal is sent thru a wire cut into the pavement when a vehicle large or small passes over it. Now though there are video detectors which uses movement within a defined area on a camera. There are also microwave detectors which are mounted above but these have problems in inclement weather. Allowing for right-turns on red (RTOR) is based on the location. If there is insufficent sight distance or if the intersection is a high accident location, RTOR will not be allowed. Jay

Old 01-04-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Well, the westbound traffic signal on Jefferson in Fairfield has been "malfunctioning" for at least 5 years now. There is a signal in Darien that has been mis-timed for even longer than that.

Good luck with that.

I tried awhile ago to contact the local contacts designated by the state of CT: http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/docume...tc/ltalist.pdf.

Didn't do any good.
I know Jefferson Street well. The problem there is it is tied into the signal at Easton Turnpike and there are multiple phases to allow traffic to go coming from the Merritt Parkway ramps, GE's Driveway and Easton Turnpike separately. The Jefferson Street approach has the least traffic so it get the least amount of green.

As for who to contact, you would need to contact the district offices of ConnDOT. They are located in New Haven (Fairfield and Darien are covered by New Haven), Thomaston, Rocky Hill and Norwich. It probably is best though to contact the town. I have had good luck doing that when I have seen signals malfunction. Jay

Old 01-04-2012, 02:55 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times
A lot of the area by me in Danbury area on sensors

Old 01-04-2012, 09:25 PM

519 posts, read 744,089 times
Quote:
Timers? Sensors? What are you talking about?

Most traffic signals in the state (all really) have detectors which are designed to detect when there is a vehicle waiting on the side street. A signal operates on a cycle usually anywhere from 60 to 90 seconds in length. Some signals are part of a system of signals that are connected together along a corridor or area like a downtown. These are run by a central computer that allocates time to approaches as needed to best move traffic. These are the same type of signals that are located all over the country. Ours are no different.

Sometimes signal detectors malfunction which causes the signal to either return to a set phasing and timing or fails to detect a vehicle on an approach. If this happens you should notify the local police (do not call 911) to do this or if located on a state highway, ConnDOT. Jay

I've seen some sensors go crazy.. for some reason if you press a crosswalk button and whatever the reason at the right time I watched traffic from the opposite sides change twice to green before mine finally changed ( I think it was 4 or near 5 min I waited) people behind me backed up and just made a right at the light and did a U turn in the street to go forward.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieB4 View Post
I've seen some sensors go crazy.. for some reason if you press a crosswalk button and whatever the reason at the right time I watched traffic from the opposite sides change twice to green before mine finally changed ( I think it was 4 or near 5 min I waited) people behind me backed up and just made a right at the light and did a U turn in the street to go forward.
This means the signal is malfunctioning. You need to report it when it happens. Jay

Old 01-06-2012, 07:56 AM

588 posts, read 1,872,470 times
Southbound Merritt exit 44 into Fairfield - light at the bottom of the ramp and then the light following to turn onto Black Rock Tpke - this one is painful. There is rarely anyone coming down Congress (I think that's the street), and the traffic on Black Rock is usually light enough that it can change more frequently. But it's on a very static timer until it turns into a blinking light late at night.

There is also the stupid double left turn thing going on which causes so many near-accidents simply because they don't restrict the left off-ramp lane to stay far left of the 3 lanes.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:10 AM

519 posts, read 744,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
Southbound Merritt exit 44 into Fairfield - light at the bottom of the ramp and then the light following to turn onto Black Rock Tpke - this one is painful. There is rarely anyone coming down Congress (I think that's the street), and the traffic on Black Rock is usually light enough that it can change more frequently. But it's on a very static timer until it turns into a blinking light late at night.

There is also the stupid double left turn thing going on which causes so many near-accidents simply because they don't restrict the left off-ramp lane to stay far left of the 3 lanes.
exit 44 merritt parkway, - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut