Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 09:44 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,091,907 times

Advertisements

So when does everyone who is out expect power again?? I have put a blanket over my chest freezer im thinking the stuff I had in my fridge is shot already, in the fridge freezer not so sure yet......I see no signs of any clp crews around glastonbury anyway. 94% of town suppoasedly without power, some towns have 100% outages.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:58 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,424,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
So when does everyone who is out expect power again?? I have put a blanket over my chest freezer im thinking the stuff I had in my fridge is shot already, in the fridge freezer not so sure yet......I see no signs of any clp crews around glastonbury anyway. 94% of town suppoasedly without power, some towns have 100% outages.
I am in Marlborough where we are 100% out. I am sure we are at the bottom of the priority list, so I am not expecting to see lights until this weekend.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:33 AM

352 posts, read 781,522 times
I'm in Granby, lost power about 7:30 Sunday morning. I was expecting it to be out for days but the power came back on around 3:30 am today.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:21 PM

Still nothing in glastonbury...bummer

Old 08-29-2011, 01:26 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,938,396 times
A generator cheaper than losing all your food and discomfort,have had mine for several years and have never regretted it.Sister inlaw in Windham in same boat.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:32 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,948,073 times
Put the generator purcahse off this year. What a mistake. Will get one installed before the winter. Can you imagine having these outages when its 20 degrees outside?

Old 08-29-2011, 01:50 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,503,827 times
Here are the refrigerator food guidelines:

Refrigerated Food and Power Outages: When to Save and When to Throw Out | FoodSafety.gov

Here are the freezer guidelines:

Frozen Food and Power Outages: When to Save and When to Throw Out | FoodSafety.gov

A lot of homeowners' insurance policies have some coverage for spoiled food caused by power outages. So read your policy.

If you have an expensive hunk of meat in the freezer - and you have a gas stove or a grill - figure out a way to cook it and have it for dinner.

Last I looked - about 1/2 of your state had lost power. I suspect there are a lot of downed lines and poles - some infrastructure damage as well. Some of you may not get power back for a week or two (last time we got hit by a tropical storm - people in the south part of our county lost power for a week or two). The normal protocol - at least here in Florida - is to work first on the areas where the most people will get their power back doing X amount of work (after dealing with places more important than residences - like hospitals - various government buildings - etc.). Then go to places where X amount of work will restore power to relatively fewer people. Very minor repairs may be done quickly even if they put relatively few people back on line.

FWIW - you have power crews from all over the country (including Florida) heading your way to help out your local guys (just like your local guys come here to help us when we need help). And I know that losing power for any length of time is absolutely no fun at all (it took 6 months to restore power to 99% of south Dade County after Hurricane Andrew - of course - after Andrew - all of our power infrastructure was totally destroyed).

If you have any questions - give a holler - and perhaps I might be able to help. And good luck to all of you. Robyn (long time Florida resident and Hurricane Andrew survivor)

Old 08-29-2011, 07:46 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,434,951 times
I was out of power in West Danbury from 6:00 AM Sunday morning til about 1:30 PM today. My office had power this morning, so I was able to get a lot of work done.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:32 PM

811 posts, read 1,739,777 times
I just chucked everything in my freezer and fridge tonight. At this point, it's over 24hrs, everyone else should too, why even take a chance on food poisoning?

My parents live in Glastonbury and the phone lines are down and power last I heard. Haven't been able to call them for a day so have no idea what's going on there.

The crews try to get as many people back online as possible with each fix. So if there's a tree down with wires on your dead end road of 5 homes... you're doomed. Bottom of the barrel, just hang in there.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:30 AM

well I packed up all the fish I caught this summer in ice I froze before hurricane/TS Irene, and drove to my parents house in NY. Strangely enough they are about 2 miles from the ocean and lost power for about 5 hours total. I trashed everything except the fruit and juice and bread in my fridge, freezer I threw everthing away, in chest freezer I read I can refreeze all the berries I picked this summer which I will, and the fish was partially frozen so I can refreeze. lol I also had about 7 packages of squid i jigged, mom will make 20 jars of calamari sauce and I will take back with me. Squid was too thawed to refreeze.

I checked CLP website, still shows over 80% of Glastonbury no power, I bet my townhouse is still without. If it wasn't for me trying to save my seafood I would have stayed, but it is a bummer, quite a few towns listed still have 100% outages.

I would hate to see what a Cat 2 or 3 or worse if it ever made it up here would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut