Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 03:30 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times

Advertisements

Dana Marley, Your admonishment in post 44 is spot on. I know people in Milford who have had no power for days, thankfully none in imminent medical need, but if they were, they could not afford a stay at even the Milford Inn short-term. Even if they had insurance re-imbursement, their cash on hand would not allow the short-term financial impact.

Not everyone in Ct is a hedge fund manager in Greenwich. The #1 employer in Milford is the mall. 90% of those employees most likely would not be in a position to absorb the extra costs caused by Irene, and cannot follow the cavalier advice you correctly admonished the other posters for.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:41 PM

521 posts, read 1,151,528 times
Default well thank you bobtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Dana Marley, Your admonishment in post 44 is spot on. I know people in Milford who have had no power for days, thankfully none in imminent medical need, but if they were, they could not afford a stay at even the Milford Inn short-term. Even if they had insurance re-imbursement, their cash on hand would not allow the short-term financial impact.

Not everyone in Ct is a hedge fund manager in Greenwich. The #1 employer in Milford is the mall. 90% of those employees most likely would not be in a position to absorb the extra costs caused by Irene, and cannot follow the cavalier advice you correctly admonished the other posters for.

I cannot keep postin on this thread, I got so much stuff to take care of due to Irene's damage, but I am VERY concerned about some ppl in our state who are so hurtin 4 $, they are barely getting by.. due to the bad economy bad unemployment, and horriblly high gas prices CT residents have been forced to endure since early spring.

Just say some prayers for your fellow man, and ignore the mean-spirited posts on this thread.
You can put ppl on ignore, if they really bother you, it's under "my settings" on the forum

Old 08-31-2011, 03:46 PM

I understand, Dana. Yes I'm sure Jack Welch can take care of any issues caused by Gloria, as can the AIG gang, and much of the UBS workforce, but what about the thousands employed at the Milford mall? Or at the Trumbull mall? Not all are kids, most stores today well over 1/2 the employees from what I have seen at Penney's, Sears , etc, are in their prime earning years (30s and 40s), and 98% are making poverty wages or less. For any of them to spend a night at the Milford Inn, there went the net pay for an 8 hour shift.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:01 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post
You do NOT know what dangers ppl are facing, or what limited funds they may have available!
And if they have limited funds, they can stay at a shelter for nothing. The Red Cross has them set up all over during this. The point is, there's no reason to sit in the dark (literally) in fear over your health and well being when there are better options out there. Common sense, not irrational panic.

I really don't know what you're getting all worked up over.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:01 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post
Me thinks, yes, probably. And what are we to do with the leaf from kid's book? Use it for TP? No offense intended...
I'm somewhat bummed you spelt it offense and not offence LOL

Of course, kid thrives here by being Captain Connecticut, and it's in your best interest to take him with a grain of low sodium salt. He's a good ole monsieur though. Good and funny

Old 08-31-2011, 04:07 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:

You do realize that the mall doesn't directly employ anyone except Westfield employees that administer and secure the space, right? The stores do the employing. And that the majority of employees from the mall aren't residents of Milford at all? So your comparison is irrelevant, despite your point that not everyone has the means to afford a hotel for a week - although you're missing the point that there are places for people to shelter during this event. http://www.ctredcross.org/

Facts please.

Top employers in Milford:

1 City of Milford, Board of Education 1,251
2 Milford Hospital 850
3 Subway Corporate 660
4 Schick 580
5 City of Milford 561
6 Macy’s 336
7 A&A Drywall 271
8 Hasler Neopost 260
9 Alinabal 259
10 Shop Rite of Milford 251

Old 08-31-2011, 04:12 PM

The mall individually employs few, but the fact is as an aggregate, they are now Milford's #1 employer and taxpayer. That means the site with the highest gross payroll has for 98% of its population, poverty level wages.

PS, Your whole list employs mainly non-Milford residents, which means the entity which employs the largest chunk of residents would still be the mall, and still pays poverty level wages, by and large. 9 and 10 on your list also pay poorly, I know folks at each. That leaves thousands with too little income to follow your "Just get a hotel room advice". At $9 an hour, $7.50 net after taxes assuming they are uninsured, perhaps $6.50 net if insured, at $7.50, a $60 hotel room (w/tax) is 8 hours net pay.

Originally Posted by mkiv808
Seriously. If you're 8 months pregnant and feel in danger and don't have friends or family with power to stay with, find a motel/hotel with power near a hospital. You can find such accommodations under $100 a night.

PS, your mayor proudly announced 1,500 new mall jobs a few years ago. Did you correct him-they hired no one (LOL)?

Last edited by bobtn; 08-31-2011 at 04:43 PM..

Old 08-31-2011, 04:49 PM

11,305 posts, read 18,899,294 times
Quote:
The mall individually employs few, but the fact is as an aggregate, they are now Milford's #1 employer and taxpayer. That means the site with the highest gross payroll has for 98% of its population, poverty level wages.

PS, Your whole list employs mainly non-Milford residents, which means the entity which employs the largest chunk of residents would still be the mall, and still pays poverty level wages, by and large. 9 and 10 on your list also pay poorly, I know folks at each. That leaves thousands with too little income to follow your "Just get a hotel room advice". At $9 an hour, $7.50 net after taxes assuming they are uninsured, perhaps $6.50 net if insured, at $7.50, a $60 hotel room (w/tax) is 8 hours net pay.

Originally Posted by mkiv808
Seriously. If you're 8 months pregnant and feel in danger and don't have friends or family with power to stay with, find a motel/hotel with power near a hospital. You can find such accommodations under $100 a night.

PS, your mayor proudly announced 1,500 new mall jobs a few years ago. Did you correct him-they hired no one (LOL)?
While I mostly agree with what you're saying on this topic probably far more than anything else you've ever posted in the past (which I've even rep'd you for to boot!), I do have to say that worst case there is Red Cross shelters too......

Old 08-31-2011, 04:54 PM

I am aware of the Red Cross, great org, admire them. It is an option, but the poster I admonished was rather cavilier regarding everyones ability to afford a hotel room. 30 plus years ago (more than I care to admit), as a teen, I worked at Stop & Shop and Whalen Drug at the Milford mall (than outdoors), for a short period of time. 3 of every 4 workers in the mall from what I saw, including Alexanders', where through relatives I knew a huge chunk of the employees, were either teens/early 20s like me, going to college later, just earning pin money, or spouses of people who worked at Bic, Milford Rivet, or numerous Bridgeport/New Haven factories, thus few were primary wage earners in prime earning years (30 years ago).

I was in that mall at Christmas and in June/early July on vacation, and now most are in their 30s and 40s, prime earning years, and it isn't the 2nd income is trivial portion of household income era anymore. That is happening elsewhere obviously, but stagnant job growth for 20 years affects folks disproportinately. Wal Mart press releases (which their web site maintains for a period of time) indicate applicants per new store. The town I have lived in the last 7 years had a WM regular store close, due to opening a new superstore 1 mile away about 3 years ago..150 extra jobs added..drew 500 applicants (3.3-1 applicant-hire). Milford's store which started with about 400 openings drew 5,000 plus applicants less than a full year later (12.5-1 app to hire). There is a large chunk of people in Milford living day-to-day, without the means for even that $50 hotel room, which would be $57 with tax.

Last edited by bobtn; 08-31-2011 at 05:04 PM..

Old 08-31-2011, 06:03 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
closed for mod review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut