Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 05:56 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,906,622 times

Advertisements

Most of my town lost power, but we did not.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:15 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,425,045 times
Day 3 of no running water and no electricity. There are still trees in my neighborhood dangerously dangling in the power lines. It is very obvious that not a soul from the power company has set foot in my town and probably won't for days.

I just checked CL&P's website- towns with 100% no power include: Chester, East Hampton, Marlborough, Durham, Griswold, Guilford, Killingworth, Ledyard, Lisbon, North Stonington, Preston, Salem, Voluntown, and Westbrook.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:34 AM

521 posts, read 1,151,528 times
Default Yeah, it's a bummer...

and the really WEIRD thing is.. I don't even see any Elec Co trucks around at all, trying to fix stuff..
It's almost like nothing happened to the state at all! It'a a darn good thing it wasn't but a category 1 hurricane! My god, no one is really done much to help out their neighbors in our area... or even bother to check on them either..
I wouldn't be surprised if some people had heart attacks from all the stress of dealing with such a violent storm! God, it looked like for hours the trees were all going to fall down!
I see all these people too, right after the storm, trying to make their lawns as pristine looking as possible.. I even saw people out IN the storm, picking up branches.. like it wasn't possible that MORE branches cud possibly fall on them!

I'm just wondering why I don't see anyone at all, out to fix all these disasters? Did the state's budget get cut so bad, they cannot get the local elec. co workers out soon?

Well, that's so typical of CT lately.. they don't do a whole lot to keep people safe..
One of our friends even noticed a wire hanging down dangerously low over a public road. They called about it, but the power co didn't even put up a warning sign, or nothing.

What areas are they fixing first? Sorry you had to drive all the way to NY to get to a home with power CTwhitechin. At least you got somewhere to go to be safe & with power, consider yourself lucky in that regard...You fish huh? How cool!

Old 08-30-2011, 10:19 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,427,612 times
Thumbs down still no power in East Haven

I have been out since Sunday morning. Even when it was still windy and raining on Sun., UI trucks were around, now 2 days later, trees still blocking the streets and no power all the way to the Branford town line - Branford is out, too. Did not see a UI truck yesterday and today work up to all kinds of noise. It was landscapers cutting lawns! Sort of like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Strangely, one side of my streeet has power for a couple of blocks and the main street that we branch off of has power. The beach area is a mess. I walked down on Sun. and the Mayor was there as well as our "wonderful" governor - but still no progress. The National Guard was down at the beach though and they were helping the people who lost their houses down there.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post
One of our friends even noticed a wire hanging down dangerously low over a public road. They called about it, but the power co didn't even put up a warning sign, or nothing.
The people in my town took it upon themselves to close a major street because a large tree and power lines were down. Finally a resident made a sign saying that a tree and lines were down ahead and to turn around. When no one comes to help, you have to help yourselves.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:12 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,091,907 times
I had no reservations about throwing away other stuff in my fridge, and freezer, but the fish and squid I caught and cleaned myself, vaccuum sealed, labeled and myself and my wife enjoy so much, that I could not bring myself to trash, so I packed in ice as best I could and drove to my parents home....what didn't make it is cooked, what did is frozen and I will take back home once I have confirmation I have power. Didn't see too much in the way of "repairs" going on when I left yesterday. This morning it says 85% outage in Glastonbury, now it's down to 78% outage...so it is coming back online but very very slowly. I called my house, my phone is still out and it worked for a while after power went out. Some towns are still 100% no power. I don't even want to think if this was a stronger storm....what a mess.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:18 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,503,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
The people in my town took it upon themselves to close a major street because a large tree and power lines were down. Finally a resident made a sign saying that a tree and lines were down ahead and to turn around. When no one comes to help, you have to help yourselves.
Yes - you have to help yourselves - and your neighbors too.

If you have the time - get some ice (in ice chests) - water - and trash bags. Drive around your neighborhood. And just drop in on people. Particularly if you know they are old - or sick - or have young children - etc. There are people who might be in real trouble now.

FWIW - we couldn't get back into our place for over a month after Andrew. Lived in a Residence Inn an hour away. I spent about 4 days a week loading up the car - driving to visit all the people I knew - delivering ice and water and food if they needed it - and picking up their trash (luckily I knew my way around the back roads because the main roads were a mess). There were some terrible cases - like a friend of mine with a young baby (in diapers) - and a FIL who was dying of cancer in the guest room. I think she was most grateful for my hauling off the dirty diapers.

My husband went down to Homestead (south of where we lived) with some friends of his who used to live in Homestead. They went with supplies and tools. Including chainsaws. Some people needed trees removed - cut up - even to get out of their houses. BTW - do not use a chainsaw now unless you have experience (they are *very* dangerous). My husband had never used a chainsaw before - so he wasn't part of the chainsaw crew.

We lost our traffic lights for months. And - when people had time - they would get out of their cars and direct traffic (during the day of course - it was too dangerous at night).

I wish you all best of luck. Robyn

Old 08-30-2011, 02:31 PM

Thanks, Robyn. People have been great in my neighborhood even though we hardly ever see each other because our houses are spaced so far apart. Most of my neighbors I know well enough just to wave and say "hi" to. However, on Sunday once the winds calmed down, everyone was out and about asking others if they needed help and we did the same.

FYI- Ice is in very short supply at stores. I went to 4 stores in East Hartford yesterday until I found some. If you have extra, definitely ask a neighbor if they could use it!

Old 08-30-2011, 05:02 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,503,827 times
Or send someone on a trip for an "ice run" (to a place that has power and ice). If any of you know Florida - our place was a little south of downtown MIA - Coconut Grove. The Residence Inn we were staying at was in Boca Raton - and - although my parents near Boca kept making ice for me - I usually had to go about 10 miles north of Boca to get ice and water in quantity. Robyn

Old 08-30-2011, 06:12 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,457,144 times
Visiting my parents in Ridgefield this Thursday... any chance they'll have power back by then in town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut