Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 03:27 AM

6 posts, read 34,944 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am flying into JFk with my daughter and planning to take the metro north to New Haven. What affordable hotels can I get to without a car?

Thanks,

Kelli
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 05:38 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Hi Kelli.

First, I'm not sure if you know how to get to Metro North from New Haven but I'll tell you anyway...

You have to get on the AirTrain at JFK to the Jamaica station, and from there, take either the E train or LIRR (a little pricier) to Penn Station. From Penn, you can either walk, cab or take the Subway to Grand Central, where you'll pick up Metro North to New Haven (New Haven is the last stop in Connecticut).

Once you get off the train, there will be plenty of cabs waiting for passengers. They generally charge a flat rate of $4 plus $2 per mile. Cab ride is about 8 bucks to downtown.

As for hotels, Omni is the nicest and in the best location. It can be pricey, but it's the best option IMO.

Honestly, it's probably easier to just rent a car at JFK and drive to New Haven. You'll be charged to park at the hotel but if it were me, I'd choose renting a car for ease.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:42 AM

220 posts, read 525,068 times
New Haven Hotel is not too much further away from the Omni and also within walking distance of the train station. The Study would be another option.

If you want affordable in the non-New Haven sense (all of the hotels above are at least $140+/night), the La Quinta on Sargent Drive might work. It is pretty far from everything except IKEA, but they do have a shuttle service that will take you to and pick you up from downtown locations.

If you are visiting a school in New Haven other than Yale, you may want to reassess whether you will need a car. There is not a lot of public transportation outside of the downtown and Yale student areas.

Last edited by inetlom; 01-10-2012 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 01-10-2012, 07:44 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
THe only hotels I know of near Yale would be the OMni on Temple Street; the New Haven Hotel on George; the Study on Chapel; and the Courtyard on Whalley. I do not think that any of these are cheap. The cheaper hotels are not really near where Yale is located. There may be a couple of smaller places in the area but I do not know much about them. Jay

Old 01-10-2012, 09:01 AM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
What school? University of New Haven, for instance, isn't even in New Haven.

Omni, New Haven Hotel and Study are all very nice. Don't know if I'd call any of them affordable, but at least they aren't NYC priced.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:01 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
What school? University of New Haven, for instance, isn't even in New Haven.

Omni, New Haven Hotel and Study are all very nice. Don't know if I'd call any of them affordable, but at least they aren't NYC priced.
Excellent point. For some reason I thought the OP mentioned Yale but they did not. Also note that the OP could take Connecticut Limo from the airport to New Haven. I think it is around $125 person round trip. Jay

Old 01-10-2012, 10:07 AM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Excellent point. For some reason I thought the OP mentioned Yale but they did not. Also note that the OP could take Connecticut Limo from the airport to New Haven. I think it is around $125 person round trip. Jay
Yep, something like that would be a little more than an hour's trip, whereas with trains it's going to take forever.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:12 AM

The OP's posting in the NYC forum said they are visiting Yale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Yep, something like that would be a little more than an hour's trip, whereas with trains it's going to take forever.
I wouldn't recommend CT Limo. For the price of a one way, you could rent a car for two days.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:14 AM

6 posts, read 34,944 times
Thanks for the information. I am happy to rent a car and drive. Is it a reasonable idea? I wasn't thinking about getting out of the airport when I booked our tickets. It was a direct flight and the one to hartford had a stop so I thought this would be better. But I wasn't thinking about it being in the middle of a big city.

Thanks,

Kelli

Old 01-10-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvando View Post
Thanks for the information. I am happy to rent a car and drive. Is it a reasonable idea? I wasn't thinking about getting out of the airport when I booked our tickets. It was a direct flight and the one to hartford had a stop so I thought this would be better. But I wasn't thinking about it being in the middle of a big city.

Thanks,

Kelli
Driving would be easier. You will likely hit a lot of traffic on your way to New Haven, but I don't think it will take you longer than public transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut