Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 06:02 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times

Advertisements

I started this thread to keep track of Various Redevelopments and TOD's going up in CT....and other things....i have no photos yet , but i will be updating this thread within a few weeks of various developments in Stamford and Norwalk....

Transit list

Metro North & Long Island Railroad
M8 - 74/308 Cars
M9/A - 0/236 Cars
M9 - 0/462 cars (Second Phase)

*TOD Stations along the various Railways in CT
Danbury
Georgetown
Norwalk (@ South Norwalk , Wall Street , Merritt 7 , East Norwalk)
New Haven (@ State Street & Union Station)
West Haven
Stratford
Bridgeport (@ East Bridgeport , Downtown)
Fairfield (@ Fairfield Metro , Fairfield )
Westport
Stamford (@ East Stamford , Downtown , Glenbrook , & Springdale)
Old Saybrook
North Haven
Meriden
Berlin
New Britain
Hartford
Windsor
Windsor Locks
Derby
Waterbury
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 06:11 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Transit Oriented Development (TOD) is a relatively new term for what communities have been doing for the last century, that is encouraging denser development around mass transit centers. For the last 60 years or so most development was designed around the automobile, but the TOD movement is pushing to move away from that. It remains to be seen if it can overtake traditional development. Jay

Old 02-03-2012, 10:08 AM

79 posts, read 122,976 times
I like this!

Old 02-03-2012, 11:01 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Why are so many stations missing from your list?

Old 02-03-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Those stations listed have developments planned around them , most stations do not....

Old 02-03-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Heres the NY stations at least on the MNRR which might fill in some of the missing stations

Port Chester
Harrison
Mamaroneck
Larchmont
Pelham
Mount Vernon East & West
Hartsdale
White Plains
North White Plains
Pleasantville
Brewster
Harlem Valley – Wingdale
Ludlow
Yonkers
Glenwood
Hastings-on-Hudson
Dobbs Ferry
Tarrytown
Ossining
Croton–Harmon
Peekskill
Beacon
Poughkeepsie
Nanuet
Pearl River
Suffern
Sloatsburg
Middletown
Harrimen

Old 02-04-2012, 08:04 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
Interesting, but I would never use public transit, even if it was available to me locally. No public transit method offers the convenience and privacy of using an automobile.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:47 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Interesting, but I would never use public transit, even if it was available to me locally. No public transit method offers the convenience and privacy of using an automobile.
Do you fly? That's public transit.

Unfortunately Nep's idea is dominant and for the most part he's right. However building more TOD might change that for some. From a high altitude view everyone driving their own vehicle is inefficient, resource intensive, polluting, and bad for the overall ecology.

There is no doubt we can make individual vehicles less polluting, more efficient, etc., but the progress has been slow and actually retarded by oil companies.

For me, however, if I am going anywhere beyond local, I much prefer public transit. Amtrak from Hartford to NYC is a bit pricey-- $36-- but I get internet access the whole way, a comfy seat, free internet on boar, and snacks and coffee. I arrive in midtown, without worries about parking etc.

I was in SLC last week and found their Trax streetcar/train system to be very efficient for navigating the downtown area. I saw everything from banker-types in suits to purple haired-skaters on the train. My only complaint is that it didn't go to the airport...

Public transportation, I think, is part of our future and TOD encourages its growth.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:15 AM

633 posts, read 1,645,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Do you fly? That's public transit.

Unfortunately Nep's idea is dominant and for the most part he's right. However building more TOD might change that for some. From a high altitude view everyone driving their own vehicle is inefficient, resource intensive, polluting, and bad for the overall ecology.

There is no doubt we can make individual vehicles less polluting, more efficient, etc., but the progress has been slow and actually retarded by oil companies.

For me, however, if I am going anywhere beyond local, I much prefer public transit. Amtrak from Hartford to NYC is a bit pricey-- $36-- but I get internet access the whole way, a comfy seat, free internet on boar, and snacks and coffee. I arrive in midtown, without worries about parking etc.

I was in SLC last week and found their Trax streetcar/train system to be very efficient for navigating the downtown area. I saw everything from banker-types in suits to purple haired-skaters on the train. My only complaint is that it didn't go to the airport...

Public transportation, I think, is part of our future and TOD encourages its growth.
I've used the SLC rail, before... I really hate Utah in general but enjoyed the light-rail, which is something I strongly believed we need in this state... the busway I wont complain, because I think it will be a short-term before converting to rail...but the people on the train in Salt Lake were not nice to me at one time and with my ex. Just a strange situation where I was playing music on my cell phone and they got racist with me and many threaten. I was suprise because there were no rule on the train about that playing song on your cell phone and I would say some did with no attacked yet I was attacked because the music I played... seems like they broken the rules on the train says not to swear and threaten on the train, so who the hypocrite now. I was shocked and scared... I rather be with the people on a bus in Hartford than over there in SLC. I was attacked for being gay in Utah as well...I'm glad to be back in Connecticut, from one year agodont go there with the airport I also like our Hartford airport much better.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:55 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,805,852 times
When we lived in Bristol my wife used to walk to the nearby lot and take the bus to work. The bus dropped her off less than a block from work. She drove about 6k a year and our gas and maintenance costs were very low. Her company provided a subsidy for bus/parking that covered the monthly pass.

The bus is no longer feasible in our new location. The subsidy does not fully cover parking and the costs for gas a maintenance are substantial.

If public transportation is available it is a huge bonus. She also says she misses all the reading she was able to do as opposed to commuting. It was much more relaxing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut