Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 04:35 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times

Advertisements

Danbury and Stamford are among the top 100 safest cities in the country, according to CQ Press's City Crime Rankings 2011-2012: Crime in Metropolitan America, an annual ranking of cities with populations over 75,000.
At #56, Danbury is the highest ranking city in Connecticut followed by Stamford at #75.
Danbury Mayor Mark Boughton praised the city's police for this ranking. "Our city employs some of the best police officers in our region. We are proud of their work and we will continue focusing our efforts on maintaining exceptional public safety,” he said.
Two other cities in Fairfield County made the list, albeit at lower rankings. Norwalk came in at #160, while Bridgeport ranked at #368.
CQ Magazine ranks the nation's cities every year using reports sent from around the country to the FBI. The report looks at aggrevated assault, burglary, robbery, rape, murder and motor vehicle theft.
Other Connecticut cities that made the list include Waterbury (#170), Hartford (#382) and New Haven (#394).
The complete list of rankings can be viewed by clicking on the PDF below the photo gallery."

Out of 405 Cities in America

Bridgeport is Ranked 37th
New Haven Ranked 11th
Hartford Ranked 23th

Among Most Dangerous Cities in term of Crime.

Stamford, Danbury Make Top 100 Safest Cities List - Stamford, CT Patch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 05:13 PM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Hopefully the new police chief in NH will help turn around those stats for 2012. I have much more faith in him than past chiefs, and that city has desperately needed a good police leader after ridiculous turn-over.

I think part of why Danbury ranks so highly is the fact that it isn't, well, very urban at all. It's a very suburban "city" and Main Street is all but dead. It's a textbook example of what used to be a vibrant small city having its life sucked out of the urban core and increasingly focusing on its homogenous, and rather safe, suburban sprawl. In comparison, Stamford is closer to a real city and its safety is directly related to its position as a gentrified satellite city of NYC. However, its downtown is kind of dead after the work day.

Cities like West Hartford, Greenwich, and Milford would rank pretty highly too if they met the population requirements.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:37 PM

Default bpt

How about Bridgeport and Hartford

Old 02-18-2012, 05:44 PM

10,108 posts, read 14,980,095 times
Stamford has ranked among the safest cities in the US I think since the 1990s. In short, nothing new.

Of course, being the most affluent of the major cities in the state (and the affluence is not just relative to the other cities, but also in absolute terms, although the towns that surround Stamford are even more affluent) definitely helps.

Gosh, I really do live in a bubble.

If only the weather would cooperate. --Sigh--- Yes, I know, I'm asking for too much. lol

Old 02-18-2012, 05:51 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,868,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
How about Bridgeport and Hartford
Well, they're better than Compton!

Apparently, New Haven unfortunately is not......

Old 02-18-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Hopefully the new police chief in NH will help turn around those stats for 2012. I have much more faith in him than past chiefs, and that city has desperately needed a good police leader after ridiculous turn-over.

I think part of why Danbury ranks so highly is the fact that it isn't, well, very urban at all. It's a very suburban "city" and Main Street is all but dead. It's a textbook example of what used to be a vibrant small city having its life sucked out of the urban core and increasingly focusing on its homogenous, and rather safe, suburban sprawl. In comparison, Stamford is closer to a real city and its safety is directly related to its position as a gentrified satellite city of NYC. However, its downtown is kind of dead after the work day.

Cities like West Hartford, Greenwich, and Milford would rank pretty highly too if they met the population requirements.

It Kinda Did

Right Now Bridgeport have 4 Homicides,Hartford 3,New Haven 0

Old 02-18-2012, 05:56 PM

Compton ain't what it used to be. We have a client that's a Fortune 500 company with an office there and that area is not scary at all.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:59 PM

3,351 posts, read 4,170,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

Stamford dead after the work day???? Are we talking about the same city? Alive at five... Very busy bar scene Tues-Sat...

Old 02-19-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Stamford dead after the work day???? Are we talking about the same city? Alive at five... Very busy bar scene Tues-Sat...
Oh yeah, definitely talking about the same city. I've spent a lot of time there. Alive at Five is definitely an admirable attempt to get people in the city after work.

It's ok, there are about a half dozen lively bars downtown. Nothing compared to New Haven. Nice city otherwise. Certainly the nightlife center of FFC along with SoNo. Quick train ride into NYC for some real nightlife.

Last edited by Stylo; 02-19-2012 at 12:21 AM..

Old 02-19-2012, 05:05 AM

3,351 posts, read 4,170,933 times
You seem to have spent considerable time in every Southern Ct metro. Danbury/Bethel, Westport/Norwalk, Milford, New Haven. I'm going to agree to disagree (again) on this one. New haven may have a club or two, which I admittedly could care less about, but Stamford has a very lively night life. I lived and worked there for five years so I've got first hand knowledge. Crabshell from Thursday through Sunday night is mobbed after May 1. Alive at five trumps "on the green", and there are fantastic eateries and bars on Bedford, Summer and Main Street. There is also Kona at Stamford Town Center. I also find more active "foot traffic" in Stamford compared with new Haven from 9-12 on weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut