Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 01:41 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times

Advertisements

Wal-Mart Eyeing Bishop's Corner In West Hartford For Food Market - Courant.com

They will be opening a Neighborhood Market grocery store in Bishop's corner. It will be in the space where the Adams' supermarket used to be. What do you all think? Personally, I think Walmart and West Hartford do not mesh well together, but I guess it could be worse. It will be kind of funny, with a Whole Foods right across the street and a Super Food Mart diagonally across the intersection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 01:45 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,109,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Wal-Mart Eyeing Bishop's Corner In West Hartford For Food Market - Courant.com

They will be opening a Neighborhood Market grocery store in Bishop's corner. It will be in the space where the Adams' supermarket used to be. What do you all think? Personally, I think Walmart and West Hartford do not mesh well together, but I guess it could be worse. It will be kind of funny, with a Whole Foods right across the street and a Super Food Mart diagonally across the intersection.
I think you mean Big Y, by the way. Plus a Crown Market, which would make it 4 grocery stores in the same intersection.

As a nearby resident, I'm actually encouraged by this in terms of having a lower cost grocery option. My only worry is traffic (it's an antiquated, congested intersection) and potential crime aspect...hate to say due to the demographic which will be attracted to shop there.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:56 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,579,381 times
Isn't there a walmart in avon? I know crime has gone through the roof since that opened up there....(thats sarcasm in case you missed it).

Old 02-17-2012, 02:04 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,724,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post
. My only worry is traffic (it's an antiquated, congested intersection) and potential crime aspect...hate to say due to the demographic which will be attracted to shop there.
These are both major worries for me. That area is getting congested already, we don't need a Sprawl Mart there especially with 3 grocery stores already functioning just fine without it. Just like the major stores, it will be interesting to see how many stray shopping carts and strewn throughout the parking lot and getting stolen by lowlifes. Yep, I know I feel good about the future - and yes, that is sarcasm as well

If they were really adamant about yet another grocery store, it would have been better if it were an ethnic one like A Dong or that Thai grocery store that's opening up on Park Rd

Old 02-17-2012, 02:31 PM

633 posts, read 1,645,567 times
Kinda a good news... more jobs.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:40 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
The previous supermarkets in that center did not do well. Part of the problem is that it is located at the back of the center and no one knows it is there. Also the parking back there is unusual with a multi-level deck so customers avoided it. Walmart may be a big enough draw to get people to look for it and ignore the parking. We will see. Jay

Old 02-17-2012, 02:58 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,724,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
Kinda a good news... more jobs.
Through a well-paying employer - Always low wages. Always.

Oops, sorry. I meant prices.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:20 PM

633 posts, read 1,645,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Through a well-paying employer - Always low wages. Always.

Oops, sorry. I meant prices.
Well few higher wage jobs... but good for people that trying to find a mid-wage job.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:36 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,634,207 times
Default Story in Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The previous supermarkets in that center did not do well. Part of the problem is that it is located at the back of the center and no one knows it is there. Also the parking back there is unusual with a multi-level deck so customers avoided it. Walmart may be a big enough draw to get people to look for it and ignore the parking. We will see. Jay
According to story in Farmington Patch
Bishops Corner Pulls in Two National Retailers - Farmington, CT Patch , the parking garage is to be demolished. Also this store will be about half the size of WalMarts in Avon or Bristol (being groceries only)

Before I moved to CT last summer, I had 3 SuperWalMarts close by. If you are a grocery price shopper, you going to love it.They don't do " club cards". As a single widower who spent $65-70 a week on groceries, I saved easily $15-20 per week vs local S&S/Big Y equivalent store.

One thing I did notice was when they first opened, they carried lots of brand names. Then slowly replaced some with their store brand. However some store brand items were better than name brand . (The SuperTargets in the area did the same thing).

I would probably start shopping there except I don't buy as much groceries now, and it is far enough away it may not be worth the gas.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:47 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,109,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Isn't there a walmart in avon? I know crime has gone through the roof since that opened up there....(thats sarcasm in case you missed it).
Yeah, well Avon is more than 2 miles away from the North End of Hartford...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut