Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 06:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,360 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing the rights to a new franchise concept where I would open 6 or so locations in my agreed upon territiory in Connecticut. I need help and people's feedback as to the towns that I have been given to review as a potential territory.

The proposed territory includes the towns of Stratford, Trumbull, Monroe, Newtown, Southbury, Ansonia, Derby, Shelton, Orange, and Milford.

These retail locations that I am thinking of developing target upper middle income as its core customers and would need to be located in retail areas where customers would probably drive 10-12 minutes at the most to get there. It is a service business, so customers would come 2-3 times per week.

I need opinions/feedback if there are several good areas in this territory to open 6 locations.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 07:39 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTResearch View Post
It is a service business, so customers would come 2-3 times per week.
I think it depends on what service you are offering, and any competition you might have. Without any additional info, it will be hard for us to help you.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:35 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Yes, that would help to have more information.

Given your target, take Derby and Ansonia off the list as they're not appropriate for targeting upper middle income. Even folks with money from Woodbridge/Bethany/etc. won't go there.

Milford is a regional retail hub for that area and has some pull for more affluent shoppers. I would say downtown has some pull in that demographic, and the Milford Marketplace has proven to be strong with affluent regional shoppers. You get shoppers from Woodbridge, Orange, Trumbull, Fairfield, etc.

Orange is not a bad option, but it worries me that there's so much empty store frontage in that town. Or maybe that's an opportunity for you. Again, it acts as a regional retail hub on Route 1 but I'm not sure it's as strong as Milford.

Newtown is growing. There is a newer shopping center on Route 25, but I feel like some businesses struggle a bit there due to the low population density, low-ish traffic, etc. It's worth considering though as it's a bullseye for your target.

There are some parts of north Stratford and Shelton where you can target multiple towns, including Trumbull. Hawley Lane, which straddles Trumbull and Stratford is a good spot to be. I'd skip the rest of Trumbull as it's not as much of a destination retail spot and traffic is really low. Unless you think your concept has enough pull that it doesn't matter. Bridgeport Ave in Shelton is growing.

Fairfield should definitely be considered too, even though it's not in your list.

Southbury could work. I'd also consider Brookfield along Federal Road in that area.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:19 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Yes, that would help to have more information.

Given your target, take Derby and Ansonia off the list as they're not appropriate for targeting upper middle income. Even folks with money from Woodbridge/Bethany/etc. won't go there.
That's not true. Lots of people from Woodbridge, Bethany and Oxford do shopping in Ansonia and Derby. Actually, both people I know from Woodbridge do the majority of their errands (grocery/gas/etc) in Ansonia, Derby and Seymour.

RE: Milford Marketplace - I don't believe that it attracts shoppers from Fairfield or even Trumbull. Fairfielders go to Westport for their upscale shopping needs.

I do agree though that we can't help you without a business type.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:21 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

Newtown is growing. There is a newer shopping center on Route 25, but I feel like some businesses struggle a bit there due to the low population density, low-ish traffic, etc.

Hawley Lane, which straddles Trumbull and Stratford is a good spot to be.
I don't entirely agree with the above. There are actually a number of newer shopping centers along route 25, and most businesses are doing pretty well. There is a lot of traffic along that road. But again it depends on the type of business, not all would do well there.

The Hawley Lane mall is really small, every time I go there I'm unimpressed. It's never crowded, I don't think it gets a lot of foot traffic. There are the larger stores like Kohl's and Home Goods, but just a few smaller ones, like a jewelry store, Payless Shoes, Dress Barn, a shoe store, Hallmark, a nail salon...certainly not a "middle upper income" sort of mall.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:59 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,868,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
The Hawley Lane mall is really small, every time I go there I'm unimpressed. It's never crowded, I don't think it gets a lot of foot traffic. There are the larger stores like Kohl's and Home Goods, but just a few smaller ones, like a jewelry store, Payless Shoes, Dress Barn, a shoe store, Hallmark, a nail salon...certainly not a "middle upper income" sort of mall.
Target and Best Buy are also there. Across the street in Stratford, there is the Big Y plaza which is slowly beginning to fill-up their storefronts.

As others have stated though, this thread is pretty much useless with the limited information the OP has provided.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:42 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I don't entirely agree with the above. There are actually a number of newer shopping centers along route 25, and most businesses are doing pretty well. There is a lot of traffic along that road. But again it depends on the type of business, not all would do well there.
Low traffic relative to bigger retail centers in the area. A lot of the traffic is passive commuting and not necessary buying-minded passer-bys. I have some inside info on commercial real estate in Newtown and it's not all rosy. There are some challenges having a business there.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:43 AM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Newtown is not a big population town so of course there is less demand for retail there. I think Monroe is better since there are more people there and some of the residents of Trumbull and Easton patronize businesses there. Not so much so in Newtown. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut