Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2007, 05:49 PM

2 posts, read 14,379 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are moving to CT but don't know much aout it. Are there areas that are more gay friendly than others. We have a child so schools are important too. We will be working in New Britain but have no problem commuting. Any information would be helpful.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 06:24 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,002,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomin View Post
My partner and I are moving to CT but don't know much aout it. Are there areas that are more gay friendly than others. We have a child so schools are important too. We will be working in New Britain but have no problem commuting. Any information would be helpful.
Just curious. What does "gay friendly" mean? Not sure what you are looking for on that front.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:31 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,020,192 times
Welcome!

All of Connecticut is gay and Lesbian friendly. The state is very tolerant from city to suburb to rural area.

Large gay and Lesbian enclaves exist in New Haven and Hartford- and in the metro areas of both cities- New Britain would be in the greater Hartford area.

If working in NB- you could live in New Britain-although it is a wee gritty and working class- but with great ethnic eateries, nice Parks and has Central Connecticut University- which is very gay friendly.

If you prefer a more upscale area- consider West Hartford- which has the arts, a great center with cafes coffee houses and great restaurants.

Also nearby is Avon, Farmington, Canton, Simsbury, Wethersfield, Newington. No town is more gay friendly then another- some offer a more sophisticated upscale population (West Hartford,Avon, Simsbury,Canton, Wethersfield) But all these towns offer a very tolerant atmosphere.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Welcome!

All of Connecticut is gay and Lesbian friendly. The state is very tolerant from city to suburb to rural area.
Maybe that's why I'm not understanding the question when it keeps being asked.

I have my personal ideas and beliefs...I keep them to myself in my house-hold and respect all people so long as they are respectful themselves. I think that is sound advice to everyone. Don't tell me how to run my house, and I won't tell you how to run yours.

There, that's how this straight guy in CT thinks.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:48 PM

JViello

I am A Gay man :-)

Old 02-11-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
JViello

I am A Gay man :-)

I know. And you carry yourself very well and seem like a good citizen and overall decent person regardless of whether we agree on or share the same politics, sexual orientation etc.

I sincerley don't completely understand the "gay friendly" thing. What are most gays looking for when they ask that?

Old 02-11-2007, 08:48 PM

217 posts, read 890,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomin View Post
New Britain has high taxes and high crime. Even if you areina good neigborhood, the taxes are sky high. The schools are bad too. Iam in Plainville right next to NB. We had a lesbian couple on our street, no one cared. It was a non issue. We are still in touch, our kids are good friends. You may also want to look at Farmington and West Hartford. greatschools. net is a very helpful website.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:57 AM

46 posts, read 188,035 times
If you are looking for an easy commute to New Briatin then you don't want Avon , Simbury or Canton. I live in Simbury and attended CCSU in New Britain. I can tell you that getting through Farmington (even the back streets) at rush hour was a killer. And CCSU is on the north side of New Britain.

I have a number of lesbian friends who live in Windsor, West Hartford, Simsbury and Bloomfield. Of these four towns I would pick West Hartford for a good combo of schools (stick with Hall High area) and ease of commute to NB.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:27 AM

JViello thanks for the compliment and support here.

The term 'Gay Friendly' has several factors for gay men and lesbians- and the two ladies above want to know these questions for reasons of personal comfort and safety.

I think that questions has several facets.
Firstly local or state laws regarding discrimination, hate crimes etc.
State and local laws regarding partner benefits, adoption etc
and state laws regarding civil unions/marriage
also important is the local culture- is it 'liberal' 'tolerant' and accepting gay men and lesbians and of gay/lesbian relationships.

Connecticut rates very positive on gay/ lesbian Bisexual and trans gender issues - behind Vermont and DC. regarding all the above questions.

The state of Connecticut is one of the most tolerant states- 'hate crimes, gay bashing, and harassment' is nearly unknown here. Religion plays a tiny role in local culture- it is typically east coast secular here. Both poltical parties here support gay rights, and most supported the civil unions law.

Last edited by skytrekker; 02-12-2007 at 04:42 AM..

Old 02-12-2007, 06:17 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,418,675 times
I agree that you likely will not have a problem anywhere in CT. CT is a pretty liberal state and honestly most people really don't care what goes on in your personal life be it your sexual orientation, your religion, or whatever. For example, good friends of my family are a lesbian couple that live in a very rural town in eastern CT and they have never had any issue. It isn't like other parts of the country where if you are outside of a big city you will encounter problems.

That being said, I agree that New Britain is on the gritty side. West Hartford is a good choice. West Hartford is a good choice for anyone who wants a city with a nice walkable town center, many shopping amenities, good schools, etc. They also have a very active LGBT community if you want to get involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut