Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 07:54 AM

2 posts, read 14,388 times

Advertisements

I think skytrekker explained it well what I meant by gay friendly. I live in a small town in Missouri (ultra-conservative) and gay bashing is not uncommon. Our son is in school (kindegarten) and we want to live somewhere where it is okay that he has two mommies and it not so umcommon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 08:41 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomin View Post
I think skytrekker explained it well what I meant by gay friendly. I live in a small town in Missouri (ultra-conservative) and gay bashing is not uncommon. Our son is in school (kindegarten) and we want to live somewhere where it is okay that he has two mommies and it not so umcommon.
Thank you for explaining. That is a tough one. I'm not sure everyone is going to be "okay" with him having two moms anywhere right now. However, the way the disagreement is handled may be very different. Here? We can agree that we disagree and a child is still a child and should be treated as a child. In other areas I can see idiots taking "adult" things out on a child with crude remarks and stigmas.

If you disagree with me, fine disagree with me...but don't go after my child as an adult for my views. Know what I mean? Let kids be kids.

So, from my view - youre "way" may not be fully accepted but that non acceptance will at least be met with civility and respect. I would hope it goes both ways as I've seen some pretty in-your-face gay activists too which is wrong on the opposite side of the spectrum.

I'm sharing so you can get a feel for at least one persons mindset here. Hope it helps.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:57 AM

217 posts, read 891,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomin View Post
No one will think a thing of it. My sonis 4 and asked once why his freind does not have a Daddy. I just told him ,that his frind has (partners name) instead. That was it. Realy anywhere in the state it will not be an issue. Ther ae gay couple everyhwere around here. I work in a nusring home and have even seen gay elderly couples. They jsut are not as upfront, about it. They may say something like my "roommate" that is more of a generational thing.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:03 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Thank you for explaining. That is a tough one. I'm not sure everyone is going to be "okay" with him having two mothers anywhere right now.
This is true but quickly changing. Consider that 50 percent of his classmates come from divorced, single-parent, or step-family situations. Some children might be envious.

There will always be those clinging on to fictional images made in Hollywood studios during the '50s. But in Connecticut, a Blue state with broad human-rights laws, people are seeing different examples of "families" and not fearing the end of Western civilization. BTW, Western Europe is more progressive than we.

Speaking of New Britain, a couple that I know had to deal with their precocious 6-year-old telling the neighbors that mommy was a "gay homo." One of the neighbors stopped by, trying not to laugh, to let the biological mother know what was being spread door to door by her son. Ten years later, the story is still funny.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:09 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
The state of Connecticut legislature- which is Democratic and which has VETO proof majorities in both houses will in the near future vote on Gay Marriage- the Republican Governor who approved the civil unions law and signed it- has promised to VETO this- it remains to be seen if the Democratic state legislature and Senate are able to over ride the veto.

In Connecticut there are many 'families' that are not traditional- we have gay men and Lesbians in civil unions who have developed there own sense of 'family' be they adopt- of have children through artificial insemination.
to judge on a gay couples effectiveness for being good parents on their orientation alone is considered discriminatory here- and thankfully in Connecticut gay men as couples or Lesbians can adopt, and not have the state judge them on that alone.

I worked at a local Public school system for several years- and it was common knowledge about my lifestyle- no problems. The town I worked in said that discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation or trans gender issues was illegal in the contracts we signed as professionals.

I worked with expelled kids- some from 1 parent households- where there was abuse, divorce and other extreme social issues. One of the students had ' 2 mommies' also- and boy did the social worker, school psychologist and Assistant superintendent tread carefully with this- Never ever was the question brought up of the 'familial situation' if that was done a law suit could have been started.

Connecticut, from small rural village, to small town to suburb to city is pretty much broad minded and accepting- I am sure you ladies from Missouri will love it here for that- and for many other reasons as well.

You ladies should try and visit the state for a week or two if possible- you may be very surprised about how liberal it is here.

Last edited by skytrekker; 02-12-2007 at 11:26 AM..

Old 02-13-2007, 11:07 PM

4 posts, read 20,454 times
LESBIAN CHiCKS ARE WELCOME ANYTIME.....!!!...hahaha.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:15 PM

93 posts, read 394,339 times
While much of Western Connecticut is fairly Republican, people in this state really do have a "you do your thing, I'll do mine" mindset. Some mistake it for rude. I call it minding your own business.

Many of the republicans in Connecticut would be considered democrats in the south and midwest.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:18 PM

27 posts, read 95,839 times
I live in West Hartford with my partner and this town, as is with most towns in Ct, is very Gay friendly. There is a goup of gay people here that have an annual picnic for the gay residents and their children of West Hartford. Our neighbors have been very excepting of us and have really been hospitable. Schools are rated very high here and the commute to New Britain would not be bad. Welcome to CT!

Old 03-16-2007, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,706 times
The best towns with an easy commute to New Britain are Berlin (which has a growing lesbian community), Newington, Farmington and West Hartford. All have good school systems and good proximity to Hartford. New Britain wouldnt be your first stop for quality of education.

Ct is "tolerant" when it comes to gay men and lesbians but perhaps we should set our goals a tad higher than the desire to be tolerated. There is little in the way of outright hostility but, if you have that big L on your forehead you will be stared at and held at a distance at least until you are a known entity. People seem to get that they are not supposed to feel hostile and yet they dont quite feel comfortable. In addition to that small problem there is little in the way of a strong GLBT community presence. Its more the land of assimilation and if you are coming from an area where people are more into community or have an active GLBT scene you may be disappointed. Ditto the arts and cultural scene. There is not a lot here which may be due to the proximity to both New York City and Boston. Northampton Ma, an hour or so north of New Britain, has a stong history of lesbian culture and some fine restaurants and clubs. But dig in and get involved. Make something happen!

Old 03-16-2007, 04:55 AM

923 posts, read 3,513,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Welcome!

All of Connecticut is gay and Lesbian friendly. The state is very tolerant from city to suburb to rural area.

Large gay and Lesbian enclaves exist in New Haven and Hartford- and in the metro areas of both cities- New Britain would be in the greater Hartford area.

If working in NB- you could live in New Britain-although it is a wee gritty and working class- but with great ethnic eateries, nice Parks and has Central Connecticut University- which is very gay friendly.

If you prefer a more upscale area- consider West Hartford- which has the arts, a great center with cafes coffee houses and great restaurants.

Also nearby is Avon, Farmington, Canton, Simsbury, Wethersfield, Newington. No town is more gay friendly then another- some offer a more sophisticated upscale population (West Hartford,Avon, Simsbury,Canton, Wethersfield) But all these towns offer a very tolerant atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut