Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 01:46 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,656,498 times

Advertisements

I think one of the best things about CT is it's weather. You have four distinct seasons. Fall is unmatched in New England, the winters are easy and the summers are great. I agree with wave, the winter's in CT are a gigantic overblown hype. I still think the warmth of winters in CT (bundling up in your sweater, fire in the fireplace) beats the heat we feel in the summer down here in NC.

As far as people goes, the people in CT are wonderful and friendly. I worked in Hartford for many a year and while walking around the city, would constantly be saying Hi to people and getting the same in return. There are PLENTY of things to do for families and people in CT too. Just to take rides around the gorgeous landscape is an activity in itself.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:40 PM

879 posts, read 1,661,972 times
We used our snow shovel twice last winter. I didn't go into work one day because of snow (the office was closed), and one day I left early (more for traffic than anything else). It really is just a bunch of hype!

I find the darkness much worse than anything else, but the holiday lights make up for it in December, and from then on it only gets better. It gets dark here about an hour earlier than it did for me in TX.

Having lived in Boston though for 4 years prior to moving here, I have to say that southern CT winters are easy!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:38 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,089,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Here is the NWS climatological sheet for southern Connecticut (Bridgeport/New Haven) for the dead of winter (January) in 2007.
To be fair, January 2007 was the warmest January that I've experienced in CT. It was the first January since I moved here where I could enjoy riding a motorcycle.

Last edited by HeadedWest; 10-01-2007 at 08:52 PM..

Old 10-02-2007, 07:51 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,370,544 times
I’m glad to see a few people agree. I think a lot a people along the West Coast try to paint the East Coast as much colder than it really is. They take the few months of truly cold weather (Dec-March), and act as if the other 9 months of the year are cold and cloudy. Fact is, the East Coast from Connecticut south – IS WARMER much of the year when compared to places along the West Coast north of Southern California.

Take a look at the map (last one I promise….I work for mapping/data company). The map shows the yearly mean temperature across the USA. The 50 F isotherm is the rough line that seperates cooler areas from warmer ones. As you can see - the mean temperature of the Tri-state/Mid Atlantic states is 50 F to 60 F from north to south (central Connecticut to southeastern Virginia). Along the West Coast, from central Washington (mouth of the Columbia River) south to just below Santa Barbara, the mean temperature is similar to the Mid- Atlantic Coast. New Haven, Connecticut and NYC, have a yearly mean of 53 F….Santa Barbara, CA has a mean temperature of 58 F, …….San Francisco, CA has a mean of 55 F,….while LA has a mean of 63 F.

Of course, I’m not trying to say the Middle Atlantic States are as mild as coastal California in the 4 winter months (Dec-March). Coastal California averages about 22 F warmer than much of the Middle East Coast in winter (Dec – March), and has a nice winter climate (south of Santa Barbara at least). However, the other 8 or 9 months of the year - temperatures on the East Coast are as warm or warmer (summers are actually hotter along the Atlantic Coast than along the Pacific Coast) than the West Coast and much of coastal California.

When one looks at temperature, snowfall, and sunshine…. I just don’t think it is at all accurate or fair - to paint the Atlantic states below Massachusetts as cold and cloudy compared to the West Coast. In fact, I spent a summer in southern California with my farther, and unlike NY/NJ/CT/MD/DE…which have an authentic tropical summer with Thailand like humidity, and African like heat……..in California they have something called the “June Gloom”. A beach day in Santa Monica or Santa Barbara in late June may have a low stratus layer of gray clouds and fog, with temps in the 60’s, and a choppy ocean that is freezing cold (57 F off Santa Monica in June). Think of the last time you went swimming in Ocean City, MD or Myrtle Beach, SC in August when the ocean was 85 F – then imagine what 57 F feels like!

Just a few thoughts….
Attached Thumbnails
Culture Shock?-mean-temps1.jpg  

Old 10-03-2007, 04:00 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,220,227 times
Let's be real-winter is cold here. We get snow. Sometimes, lots. Since I work outside, I know exactly how winter is here. It is not at all comparable to winter in California...

Old 10-03-2007, 06:03 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,031,329 times
Winter in coastal California varies from in January 65 in San Diego, 59 in San Francisco, and about 52 near the California/Oregon border.

Those average daytime highs are substantially higher then the CT shoreline in that same month (39) and Hartford 37.

Daytime lows below freezing along the immediate coast are uncommon during the winter months. Further inland freezes are more common. For instance Santa Rosa, 50 miles north of the Golden Gate, and about 25 miles from the Pacific has about 40 nights a year below freezing, while San Francisco has 5-7.

Winter in California is much milder then CT. We have 3 months of cold conditions here- from mid December to mid March- on average compared to other inland continental climates, winters can be considered mild, with some frigid outbreaks of very cold weather, and a few snow storms in excess of 6" and perhaps one storm of 1 foot or greater.

However there can be mild periods or thaws as well. The rest of the week will see daytime highs in the mid 80s or higher- rather uncommon but not impossible in Connecticut into October. It is simply getting warmer here.

The NOAA predicts a milder then average period from September through December.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:03 AM

369 posts, read 1,961,417 times
I think the overall point is that when you live on the west coast, you take good weather for granted. I had a sweater on yesterday here in Long Beach, CA and it was about 70...for people like me, the idea of living and operating a household and going to work in snow can be very scary just because of the unknown. In preparation for our own move, I have made the trip to CT at various times of the year in order to get a feel of what I will be up against. However, no matter how many times I do it, I am never going to be able to know what Just Peachy offered a page or so back. That's why this board is such a lifesaver! There was another thread about preparing for winter, and that was a huge help too....The east coast and the west are two very different entities, and weather is a large contributing factor, although certainly not the only one. And when Wavehunter mentions that CA is 22 degrees warmer on average in the winter, well, that seems like a lot to me. There is a big difference to a wimpy Californian between 50 and 30 or whatever the case may be. When I see products offered in a catalogue like Orvis, or Lands' End, it almost strikes fear into my heart because I have no idea what that stuff is, and if I need it. Then if I buy it, how will I use it...I mean a car starter???? I am fairly certain I will be the laughingstock of the block..."There's Aileen from California, heading out in her entire wardrobe from LL Bean to use her ice scraper - wonder if she knows that 41 is not freezing...."

Old 10-03-2007, 08:30 AM

59 posts, read 350,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnaie View Post
I think the overall point is that when you live on the west coast, you take good weather for granted... I had a sweater on yesterday here in Long Beach, CA and it was about 70...for people like me, the idea of living and operating a household and going to work in snow can be very scary just because of the unknown. In preparation for our own move, I have made the trip to CT at various times of the year in order to get a feel of what I will be up against. However, no matter how many times I do it, I am never going to be able to know what Just Peachy offered a page or so back. That's why this board is such a lifesaver! There was another thread about preparing for winter, and that was a huge help too....The east coast and the west are two very different entities, and weather is a large contributing factor, although certainly not the only one. And when Wavehunter mentions that CA is 22 degrees warmer on average in the winter, well, that seems like a lot to me. There is a big difference to a wimpy Californian between 50 and 30 or whatever the case may be. When I see products offered in a catalogue like Orvis, or Lands' End, it almost strikes fear into my heart because I have no idea what that stuff is, and if I need it. Then if I buy it, how will I use it...I mean a car starter???? I am fairly certain I will be the laughingstock of the block..."There's Aileen from California, heading out in her entire wardrobe from LL Bean to use her ice scraper - wonder if she knows that 41 is not freezing...."
I think you hit the nail right on the head here. Its the perception of winter to someone who has not dealt with this kind of weather that will be the culture shock. It really has nothing to do with how "mild" it (cold & snow) is, it is the fact that it is there and we don't know how to deal with it. I see allot of newer transplants claiming it is so cold and you will need snow shovels, winter coats, ice scrapers, and ski masks. Then there are the regulars posting how mild and easy the winters are to deal with. I think for all of us newbies or soon to be newbies to the east coast, in the beginning, it is going to be a HUGE change for us and it will take a winter or two to really get use to it, to the point where it becomes as "mild" as the regulars say it is.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:14 AM

148 posts, read 739,496 times
DOUGNAIE... I couldn't help but laugh at the end of your comment there. Being so close to the water...the entire state (with exceptions in Litchfield County) is warmer than say Vermont or Upstate NY. Also...it's usually "warmer" when it snows...if it's well below freezing (say like in the 20s) it likely won't snow bc it's too cold or it will be very light almost icy snow. But then if it's too warm with snow forcast (say like 33 or 34) it sucks because it's VERY heavy wet snow...like back breaking! I don't mean to scare you, but let the truth be told.
I have a car starter on my car...let me tell you its the best thing in the world...especially when you have heated seats to go with it (as I do). Just push the button and the car starts...your windows will defrost and obviously the car will warm up. Just be sure you have the heat on the night before. Or even better if it's in your budget...heated garage and driveway!! Oh, they exist!
Don't go too overboard with the winter wear...a heavy coat, gloves, ear muffs and scarf will do the trick! Boots too when it snows. You'll notice a lot of people just bring a change of shoes to work.
Just don't let the winter gloom get to you...seasonal depression can effect so many people...just know that spring will come soon enough!

Old 10-03-2007, 09:37 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,031,329 times
If one has lived in a very mild or warm climate their entire lives; Most of California, Las Vegas, Phoenix or Florida, even the mildest winter in Connecticut will be a shock.

If one moves here from Chicago, Detroit, or Des Moines- winters here will be a breeze. It's all relative to what you have become accustomed to.

For me a crusty north easterner- cold for me is a day below 20, and a morning low of 0 or just above- add some wind chill, and bingo I am not a happy camper.

Winter weather of 32-40 by day, and 25 by night is not big deal- and that is basically what you will get here on average in mid winter. You may have days with the nasty cold I described above, many days in the 40s, and even the 50s sometimes. Last January we had a record high for the month of 72!

Many days of clouds, rain and chill can make one rather depressed. I seldom need heavy coats here, with face masks etc. I prefer a mid weight jacket, and a hat if its really chilly, or there is pronounced wind chill.

If its in the 40s- I go shopping or to the gym in sweats, a sweatshirt and perhaps a knit hat. If over 45 no hat. As Davfar said the stereotypic 'Eskimo like' gear Californians may think you need here is mostly seen in Vermont, northern New Hampshire and central/northern Maine. Do not over buy winter clothing-you will not need it here.

The 'newbies' here at first may feel a physical need to 'overdress'- simply because the cold is a real shock. 40 degrees and a stiff wind may be tough for them. Driving in snow, sleet or ice is another issue.

Last edited by skytrekker; 10-03-2007 at 09:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut