Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:08 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,370,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
Let's be real-winter is cold here. We get snow. Sometimes, lots. Since I work outside, I know exactly how winter is here. It is not at all comparable to winter in California...
Wandertonic-

If you read my post again – I never said winter in southern Connecticut was as mild as southern California. I said that with the exception of 4 months - the climate of the East Coast (south of MA) has a long season of warm and sunny weather, even when compared to California.

dougnaie -

Don’t worry about a thing. Trust me, you’re not moving Minnesota! It’s the East Coast…its Connecticut….a snowstorm is 5-inches of snow. When people start telling you that you need things like a car starter,…..or subzero clothing,….or how to prepare for a terrible winter,……with windchills of 60-below zero and 100 inches of snow,…..or weeks on end of not seeing the sun… yea, maybe in Bismarck, North Dakota (lol). The hype of winter on the East Coast – is just baseless and factually untrue. Science doesn’t lie. Wish I could say the same about the media.

You will clear snow off your car about 3 or 4 times a winter, with most accumulations from 1 to 4 inches in southern Connecticut……and maybe 7 or 8 times up in northern Connecticut, with accumulations of 4 to 7 inches. That’s about what a typical winter is in Connecticut - along with many sunny days, and bursts of temperatures into the 50’s and even 60 F temp now and then. Another thing to remember…….unlike places up in the Mid-West , or Northern New England,……in the Tri-state/East Coast region, the 3 or 4 winter months are not a solid block of below freezing temperatures and windy cold. Many, many, days in Dec, Jan, Feb, – see high temperatures in the 50’s and at times even in the 60’s. That’s why snow NEVER last long in most of Connecticut and Long Island, NY/NYC - the warm bursts melt everything.

I have spent 39 winters in southern Connecticut. Know how I prepare for winter? I DO NOTHING! ( well maybe, I turn off the hose in late November so it won’t freeze).. You certainly may not be able to head out in your entire wardrobe from LL Bean the majority of times from December to March – but what are you talking – a few months of cold weather. It’s over before it really starts.

I copied the mean temps for the year for two locations –Santa Barbara and New Haven, so you could compare months. Add about 10 F for the daily highs, subtract abou 7 F for the lows.

As you can see much of the year (April, May, June, July, August, September, October), the temperatures in southern CA and in Southern CT are within 10 F or so of each other. In fact – Connecticut summers are HOTTER than southern California summers. The big difference in tempretures between southern CA and southern CT is from December to March (15 degrees or more). Even March is just barely 15 F warmer (39 as opposed to 55).

Trust me, I work for a large company with people all over the USA coming and going all the time…compared to many places in the USA – winters along the East Coast from Connecticut/Long Island, NY southward…….are a breeze. The people who hype the winter here are usually the people who love winter - they wait all year, suffer through warm and wet spring, a long, hot , humid tropical summer, a mild, balmy fall, for the few months of cold weather. When it's a disspointment (and it usually is), there mad as heck. This weekend the highs will be in the middle 80's F, so I'll be at the beach in the sun...... while all the winter hypers will be telling everyone who they are getting ready for the coming ice age (lol).

The hype…..it's legendary.

SANTA BARBARA, CA
J F M A M J J A S O N D
51 53 55 57 60 63 66 66 64 61 56 53

NEW HAVEN, CT
J F M A M J J A S O N D
30 32 39 49 60 69 74 73 66 55 45 35

Old 10-08-2007, 10:49 AM

46 posts, read 173,229 times
I moved to CT from NJ in 1971 and the culture shock hit me bigtime, and we are only talking about 1 1/2 hrs travel time from where I grew up to where I moved. People here are very different. I live in an apt complex now and I can still, after all of these years, tell who are the out of staters because they say hello. Nobody else does.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:15 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,761,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's Mom View Post
I moved to CT from NJ in 1971 and the culture shock hit me bigtime, and we are only talking about 1 1/2 hrs travel time from where I grew up to where I moved. People here are very different. I live in an apt complex now and I can still, after all of these years, tell who are the out of staters because they say hello. Nobody else does.
Same thing here. I moved to Brookfield in 1987. I could/can spot fellow New Yorkers a mile away!

Old 10-09-2007, 08:21 AM

24 posts, read 101,425 times
I completely relate to the other newbies --I was born and raised in New Orleans, will be moving to Hartford next month. So can someone tell me why I need a "car starter"? I know this will seem like a silly question but do I need special "snow" tires? My family and I are looking forward to this "culture shock"! Change is good. We intend to spend many weekend days going to NYC or Boston. Any tips?

Old 10-09-2007, 08:35 AM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by france123 View Post
I completely relate to the other newbies --I was born and raised in New Orleans, will be moving to Hartford next month. So can someone tell me why I need a "car starter"? I know this will seem like a silly question but do I need special "snow" tires? My family and I are looking forward to this "culture shock"! Change is good. We intend to spend many weekend days going to NYC or Boston. Any tips?
You don't need a car starter. It is just nice to have so you can warm your car before you get in if your car is outside. For tires, we have good quality all-weather tires and they are fine most of the time, as long as they are in good condition. One of the great things about Hartford is that you can get to New York or Boston in about 2 hours. Nice for a day trip. Suggest taking the Metro-North train into New York from New Haven. Parking can be very expensive there and driving in is not really worth it (IMHO). Jay

Old 10-09-2007, 07:02 PM

291 posts, read 1,782,565 times
I lived in Connecticut for 41years. Moved to South Carolina 5 months ago. I have never been happier and would never think twice about going back. I don't even look forward to visiting. There is nothing I miss at all up there besides family and after a visting already some of our family has moved down as well. I got twice the house for half the money and have much friendlier neighbors with better weather in a more beautiful area. My taxes are 1/6 what they were in Connecticut. People really are happier here than in the northeast. I am so glad we had the courage to make the move. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:06 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,031,329 times
I am glad you love SC

it is however not for everyone- no matter what the costs. As far as 'friendly neighbors' that also is rather subjective an evaluation.
Better weather? Too hot- I believe most of the Carolina's had 80 or more 90 degree days this past summer.
Cheaper? How are the local schools rated? How are the local libraries? Culture? It all relative.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:24 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,370,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by france123 View Post
france -

Read my post above. Winter won't be like in NO of course (I wish it was), but you'll be fine. There is enough cold weather here to keep the bugs down, but it doesn’t go on forever, Also winter has many sunny days in Connecticut. Being from NO well the humidity won’t be such a shocker come next May.

As far as the change thing goes - I agree change is good. You will love being so close to Boston and NYC. Although I don’t get up to Boston as much, I’am in NYC once a season. I was in NYC today -Times Square and 42 street - the heart of the world. Although I have seen it a hundred times - it still blows me away....the traffic… the people… the 250-foot billboards…the ticker tapes flashing news… the 80-storie buildings… the taxies… the different cultures…the lights…. the heat….the human energy.

It's like London, Shanghai, Moscow, Paris, and LA rolled into one. As many times as I’ve been to Chicago, LA, Boston, San Fran, Seattle….a trip to Times Square reminds me why people say – NYC is America’s only world class city.

P.S. How are things going after Katrina? I went through a few weak hurricanes here in coastal Connecticut, and one semi-bad one in Wilmington, NC. I can only imagine what things have been like since the storm hit.
Attached Thumbnails
Culture Shock?-timessquare.jpg  

Old 10-10-2007, 05:33 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,656,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
I am glad you love SC

it is however not for everyone- no matter what the costs. As far as 'friendly neighbors' that also is rather subjective an evaluation.
Better weather? Too hot- I believe most of the Carolina's had 80 or more 90 degree days this past summer.
Cheaper? How are the local schools rated? How are the local libraries? Culture? It all relative.

I assure anyone that the weather is NOT better in the Carolinas. Yes, we had over 80 days that reached 90 plus and a number over 100 too. Yesterday reached 95. And then it does get cold in the winter too. There is also a much more bland feel in the Carolinas. Lots of chain restaurants and strip malls too so if you are into pre-packaged living, it is for you. Cost of living is certainly NOT cheaper too. Food costs more down here, car insurance went up, HOA fees, monthly water bills, lower salaries on average. Lots more traffic than in Hartford area and just a hectic feel too.

I always have to laugh at the "people are friendlier" in the Carolinas too. You get what you give and I have found that folks in CT are warm and inviting and just wonderful people.

Culture shock? Yes, I had one moving from CT to NC. Can't wait to move back. Then again, we were moving down to help with a ill family member and I bought into the whole utopian dream of Carolina living in order to make the transition easier.

CT really is just a wonderful state.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:59 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,031,329 times
Bighouse9

The heat I know down there this summer was like a steam bath.
I would have melted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut