Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:43 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times

Advertisements

$50k on a car I can pick up for $30 in 2 years isn't helping to validate the frugal concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 08:06 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
$50k on a car I can pick up for $30 in 2 years isn't helping to validate the frugal concept.
Find me a '10 Audi S5 for $30K.

I won't hold my breath waiting.....

Old 06-28-2012, 08:42 PM

You may get lucky Stratford.. I picked up a two year old AMG for $35k in early '09. Obviously the economy was in the toilet, but the poor sap before me paid $81k.

Here is an '09 for under $40 with respectable mileage.

Cars for Sale: 2009 Audi S5 in Irwin, PA 15642: Coupe Details - 321226263 - AutoTrader.com

Old 06-28-2012, 08:46 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
but the poor sap before me paid $81k.
Ouch.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:48 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
AMG Mercedes are known to have crap resale value. Doesn't matter what the economy is doing, it's always been like that.

Even the Porsche I got with 12,000 miles was 1/2 the original MSRP, and Porsches are known for better resale.

I will say since I've bought it 4 years ago, it's only lost maybe 15% of the value I bought it for. It's great to take off that first sting.

The SUV's the OP is talking about will drop like a rock within a year or 2. Almost better leasing at that point if you want new.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:51 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
AMG Mercedes are known to have crap resale value. Doesn't matter what the economy is doing, it's always been like that.

Even the Porsche I got with 12,000 miles was 1/2 the original MSRP, and Porsches are known for better resale.

I will say since I've bought it 4 years ago, it's only lost maybe 15% of the value I bought it for. It's great to take off that first sting.

The SUV's the OP is talking about will drop like a rock within a year or 2. Almost better leasing at that point if you want new.
How do you think an S4 and a Touareg will hold?

Old 06-29-2012, 08:56 AM

I agree Stylo. But you won't find a 2 year old E63 for $35 grand in this economy despite a change in powertrain and body. It's pretty obvious, the near depression of early 2009 impaired used car prices. I won't even discuss the other make I picked up at firesale prices.

Update: $65,000 is the least expensive 2010 E63 I can find on a national basis. Full disclosure: MSRP is up $7-10k since the 2007 model.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:45 PM

156 posts, read 278,045 times
Look at you all talking about your Mercedes, Audis, Porsches, Acuras. Lol, I still can't get over how many luxury cars I see in this state.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:32 PM

168 posts, read 275,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
I'm ready to purchase a new car for our family or perhaps a certified pre-owned. We are a very frugal financially, but regardless we have finally decided to purchase something we will enjoy for many reasons.

We have narrowed down our SUV choices and they range between $40,000 - $50,000 (Acura MDX is our top choice). My primary reason for making this purchase would be for the safety of our family and also for the reliability. The Chevy Tahoe is also on my list for other reasons.

However, the only thing that I can't justify is paying the outrageous property tax associated with a vehicle in this price range. We are planning on moving to Monroe soon and I'm calculating a car tax bill of around $950/ per year.

Does anyone else have similar thoughts when planning to make a car purchase?? I feel like I'm being punished for making a purchase that will ultimately help the economy.

I'm basically to the point where I want to purchase a 15-year old Subaru station because I'm so disgusted with the tax system here....am I just being cheap and crazy??

NO YOU ARE NOT CHEAP & CRAZY!

Everytime I tell people from other states about this asinine tax they are appalled.

Watch out with the Acura, my 3 year old Nissan was assessed at a higher value than last year and the TAX WENT UP $45 while my wife's Honda 5 year old went down $25. (The Assessor in town told me most Nissan's, Infiniti's and Acura's held or went up on the value book they use: I believe they are sholveling and want more $). I could easily afford a souped up Mustang GT or a Benz with no problem but I am not paying a luxury tax every year to drive one. I am frugal too. I have to get a home in Rehoboth Beach, Lewes or Dewey Beach in Delaware. They pay no tax on buying cars and not this asinine tax every year.

It could easily be argued some heavy auto or trucking company looking to relocate in CT bypasses this state as soon as they see this, just like every trucker or car tries to blow by this state and get gas or diesel in MA or NJ. I sure do if I am going south fill up in NJ

Old 06-30-2012, 06:25 PM

61 posts, read 108,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
And thats another reason why you shouldn't spend that kind of money on a depreciating asset. Look for a pre-owned certified or a less expensive brand. Toyota highlander? Pilot?? I personally don't care what people drive, but I think its funny that you are willing to drop 40-50K on a new car and then worried about the potential impact on your property taxes.
It's very personal because it's a lifestyle. Property tax in CT is on the extreme side and if the OP is from a different state, I understand how you feel (I've gone through that not too long ago and $1000 per year is, well, a lot). If you've been in CT long enough, you know what you are up against.

I sometimes wonder what CT does with all these insane taxes. What does CT do so differently compared to other states?

If you are concerned about 1 time $1000 per year basis, you probably aren't ready for it IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut