Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 07:43 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

2 of the 3 of my rain gauges say just about 2" of rain fell past 24hrs. Meanwhile no station has even near that.

My 3rd rain gauge is above my roof and doesnt catch the downpours as good.

I have to say I got 1.90" with this storm but truely fascinating how my specific location got more than so many others. I think the hills are enhancing some rainfall for sure

Old 06-11-2013, 07:57 AM

754 posts, read 1,017,845 times
cam.... are u hearing the same bout rough hurricane season?

Old 06-11-2013, 08:12 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Its interesting to look at that 1972 number. What was the cause? I don't think Agnes gave CT alot of rain so it wasn't from that. But that is one amazing total. In fact in looking, that season had only 4 named storms the whole year and no other in June.
1972 was an unusually rainy year for the entire tri-State region. I'm a bit young to remember it (4 years old) but my wife (slightly older than I, she was in 2nd grade) said her classmates jokingly called it "Leak Year" (play on "Leap Year", which it was)). I don't know how much rain Agnes itself gave in Bridgeport, I know the rain was more focused from NYC on west.....

Old 06-11-2013, 11:44 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixum View Post
cam.... are u hearing the same bout rough hurricane season?
Since early season forecasts for hurricanes have been wrong by all accounts almost every year, it might be best to expect the opposite of what they forecast. The biggest forecasting sham in the business, forecasting the number of hurricanes in a year. May as well throw a dart on a wall. My favorite is "the midseason adjustment" to the number of storms... .haha .. nothing more amusing

Old 06-11-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Since early season forecasts for hurricanes have been wrong by all accounts almost every year, it might be best to expect the opposite of what they forecast. The biggest forecasting sham in the business, forecasting the number of hurricanes in a year. May as well throw a dart on a wall. My favorite is "the midseason adjustment" to the number of storms... .haha .. nothing more amusing
Yeah, I have to agree. While we can get a general idea of how "active" or "inactive" a season "might" be, guessing the actual number of Tropical systems is pretty funny. You should do a comparison just in past 10 years and see how they match. Let me know what you get. I would use the first forecast and not the mid season update.

Heads up on this Storm Thursday-Friday. Andrea was 1000mb. This is going to be sub 1000mb. maybe 992mb! The track and strength isTypical of winter time not June.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:08 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yeah, I have to agree. While we can get a general idea of how "active" or "inactive" a season "might" be, guessing the actual number of Tropical systems is pretty funny. You should do a comparison just in past 10 years and see how they match. Let me know what you get. I would use the first forecast and not the mid season update.

Heads up on this Storm Thursday-Friday. Andrea was 1000mb. This is going to be sub 1000mb. maybe 992mb! The track and strength isTypical of winter time not June.
The question is WHEN Thursday/Friday. To go from optimistic to pessimistic I see reports showing it sunny until midday Thursday, then it comes on all at once and ends mid-morning Friday and clears up during the day, but I see other reports where Wednesday night through most of Friday is a washout.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
The question is WHEN Thursday/Friday. To go from optimistic to pessimistic I see reports showing it sunny until midday Thursday, then it comes on all at once and ends mid-morning Friday and clears up during the day, but I see other reports where Wednesday night through most of Friday is a washout.
Anything before Thursday morning is from another system thats currently passing us (upper level low).

The "storm" will start Thursday morning give or take and peak early Friday morning. Cleared out by Friday night. Weekend looks good. Friday/Saturday I expect wind.

Euro shows the 5000' layer above us drops into the 30s! See Graphic here.

Last edited by Cambium; 06-11-2013 at 02:43 PM..

Old 06-11-2013, 02:48 PM

Keep in mind something else... Saturated grounds + winds = not good.

HWO

THE LIKELIHOOD IS INCREASING FOR AN UNUSUALLY STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM TO AFFECT THE REGION THURSDAY INTO EARLY FRIDAY. THIS WILL BRING THE POTENTIAL FOR A WIDESPREAD 1 TO 3 INCHES OF RAIN...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE. DUE TO SATURATED GROUNDS FROM RECENT HEAVY RAINS...THESE TYPE OF RAINFALL AMOUNTS WOULD LEAD TO WIDESPREAD URBAN AND SMALL STREAM FLOODING ISSUES...WITH SIGNIFICANT RISES ON OUR MAIN STEM RIVERS.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:58 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Keep in mind something else... Saturated grounds + winds = not good.

HWO

THE LIKELIHOOD IS INCREASING FOR AN UNUSUALLY STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM TO AFFECT THE REGION THURSDAY INTO EARLY FRIDAY. THIS WILL BRING THE POTENTIAL FOR A WIDESPREAD 1 TO 3 INCHES OF RAIN...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE. DUE TO SATURATED GROUNDS FROM RECENT HEAVY RAINS...THESE TYPE OF RAINFALL AMOUNTS WOULD LEAD TO WIDESPREAD URBAN AND SMALL STREAM FLOODING ISSUES...WITH SIGNIFICANT RISES ON OUR MAIN STEM RIVERS.
Yikes! and some of us got heavy rains again this afternoon...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Old 06-11-2013, 05:59 PM

Storm Update, interesting.

NWS Boston
RATHER CHILLY PATTERN EXPECTED FOR MOST OF THIS WEEK.

THIS SYSTEM LOOKS MORE LIKE AN EARLY WINTER STORM ALOFT RATHER THAN A LOW MORE TYPICAL OF JUNE

NWS Upton

MAIN CONCERN DURING THIS TIME PERIOD CONTINUES TO BE THE THU-FRI TIME PERIOD WITH AN ANOMALOUSLY INTENSE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM

RAPID INTENSIFICATION OF LOW PRESSURE AS IT APPROACHES THE EAST COAST DUE TO PHASING OF THE UPPER MIDWEST SHORTWAVE AND A STRONGER NORTHERN STREAM SHORTWAVE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut