Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 01:27 PM

16 posts, read 66,681 times

Advertisements

I want to hear absolutely everything there is to know about Milford, please!!!
Seriously. My husband and I are looking to possibly move there; however, we can't go visit from NYC just yet... but, the curiousiry is killing me.
Tell it all....

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 01:54 PM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Milford is a very nice diverse suburban type community. It has a wide range of housing from apartments to large waterfront homes. There are many modest single family homes (starter ranches and capes) and converted beach cottages near the miles of beaches along Long Island Sound. Inland there are newer mid-manager type neighborhoods with larger suburban lots.

There is a LOT of shopping and restaurant options to choose from along the Boston Post Road (Route 1) and in the downtown area. Milford is home to the regions major shopping mall, The Connecticut Post Mall (or whatever name Westfield has given it this week). The mall has a number of major retailers like Macy. Sears, J.C. Penney's and Target. It also has a great new movie theater complex. You can probably find pretty much anything you would want in Milford or near by in Orange.

Milford is so diverse and has so much to offer that it is hard to describe in a few paragraphs here. I think you will like it. Good luck, Jay

Old 10-05-2007, 07:16 AM

16 posts, read 66,681 times
Just what we wanted to hear! It's our new daydream!

Thanks~Courtney & Nick

Old 10-07-2007, 12:11 AM

51 posts, read 222,816 times
Milford is nicely diverse and are working to becoming even more so. People from many different backgrounds are moving there even as we speak. A great mix of city..farm..country and shoreline......they try hard to please.Local ....K-Mart..Taco Bell...Italian Deli's..flower shops..mexician restaurants..steak houses..all you can eat buffet. Welcoming Churches of all kinds....small shops in downtown. Lots of boat owners...several gyms....a hospital..train station....large photo shop.

Issues...a few residents that don't like the new order of things.....increased crime ( though still below anything else around ! )town hall can be funky on permits and things..no boats cars or trailers in yards....Police Department has had some issues concerning officer conduct..but is trying to be top flight !!

Old 10-08-2007, 09:29 AM

40 posts, read 109,917 times
Default Milford commuting

I commute from New Haven to NYC. I lived in NYC for 20 yrs but moved to New Haven.
If you commute just be prepared. The commuters who get on in Milford and Stratford [ usually women] are very loud and rude to the other commuters. They sit in groups in the seats facing and laugh hysterically loud and it sounds like a hen house.
They tend to get off in Stamford. They are NOT NYC commuters/workers. The ones who stay on are the Milford/Stratford housewives going into the City for the day.
They disregard the passengers who pay a great deal to commute to NYC and it is a long commute. We want to read or sleep and not hear the loud constant chatter. I only notice it from people who get on in either Milford or Stratford.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:27 PM

327 posts, read 1,119,480 times
Wow I too noticed this the other week after not being on the train for 3 or 4 years. I used to commute from Milford to Stamford and occasionally to NYC. A few weeks ago I took the train to Norwalk and was amazed at the noise level while I was trying to read the morning paper.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:44 PM

5 posts, read 40,295 times
Are there any neighborhoods in Milford to stay away from? And neighborhoods to recommend -- good schools, housing price stability, close to a private beach?

Too bad about the loud women -- hope they are not representative of the working population of Milford.

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2008, 09:24 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
There are no bad (e.g. unsafe) areas of Milford, although some areas are comprised of older homes and don't fit the McMansion bill that some people are looking for. If you want 1,000 SF of house for each kid and adult, then many neighborhoods in Milford won't work for you. If you want an average 3BR house, then there is a lot to choose from. I grew up there and really can't think of much bad to say about it. For private beaches, look in the Laurel Beach area (western side).

Old 02-15-2008, 09:30 PM

46 posts, read 180,436 times
Are there any neighborhoods in Milford to stay away from? And neighborhoods to recommend -- good schools, housing price stability, close to a private beach?

Too bad about the loud women -- hope they are not representative of the working population of Milford.

Thanks!>>>>>>>>

Lifelong Milford resident. There are no areas where one is not going to feel safe walking at night. But as far as area's to live. The Woodmont end (side by West Haven), is known as the better end of town. House prices in Woodmont and the overall feel are much better on that end then down in Devon. Lots of beaches which are great to walk on. Anchor beach has a side walk most of the length of it for a good distance beach walk.

Plenty of schools and when I went to them, it wasn't the feel that kids were going to pull knifes on people. Career jobs are a bit harder to find in Milford, but they do exist. Most people looking for a career type job commute to Stamford, Bridgeport or New Haven. It is extremely easy to get to NY on the train from Milford's station.

Plenty of restaurants and shopping. Almost any store you could want is not located on US 1 between Milford and West Haven.

Anything else anyone wants to know just let me know.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 8,264 times
Absolutely right on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut