Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 06:20 PM

10 posts, read 25,887 times

Advertisements

I know this has been asked countless times, and I apologize. I'm from the south. I have never been to Connecticut, though I have been to NYC and Boston a few times. I was in West NY for some time for school, so I know about harsh winters. My job is relocating me to the region. I'm a late 20s, single, male. I mainly need to be able to be within a once/twice a week (at most) commute to Hartford.

I've heard a varying degree of "bad" about many Connecticut towns besides the beach towns. I generally like city life where there's always something to do, whether its food or fun activities for people my age (eg, beer/food festivals, food trucks, etc). I can't stand towns where the only local restaurants are run-down and "old", or are getting infested with bland national franchise chains (eg, Applebees, Chilis, etc). Basically, I want prideful local culture I guess you can describe it. The last I want to do is move to a small town where the only thing to do is find a crappy bar and drink without being able to meet people. It would be great to have some sort of fun thing that friends from around the country would love to come stay for the weekend and have a good time. From my understanding of the north and towns I guess some of you may be able to know the atmosphere I want to avoid: think Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

Now, I know that the good thing about anywhere in Connecticut is it's a short-shot to two of the best cities in the nation (if not the world) for things to do: Boston and NYC. But I'm not going to want to be doing a 2 hour evening commute all the time... sometimes I just want some local things to do.

Finally, I'm currently paying approximately $1250/mo for an 850sq ft. It has AC and a washer/dryer. I'd prefer to not give up that standard of living without having to completely break the bank just to maintain it. I know the north doesn't need AC, but I also remember that it does get to the 80s-100s come summer time, and I don't want to rely on fans and inefficient/loud window AC's.

So to summarize: somewhere in CT that is a nice, safe city with great local culture for a 20-something single where I won't be living in a dump to pay under $2k/mo to have an 800+ sq ft apartment with a washer/dryer (and maybe AC). I'm open to the NY, RI, or MA side if any of them are more "bang for my buck" since commuting is not a daily thing. Preferably within a 1-2 hour commute. I have checked out Stamford on some apartment searches, but most of the apartments I've seen are minimum $2k and rarely much bigger than 700sqft.

Sorry if I'm sounding needy! Just want to make the perfect decision! Note: yes, I will be going up there to spend some time checking out the area. Just trying to get an idea now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 06:24 PM

879 posts, read 1,663,729 times
Hmm. I was sort of thinking New Haven -- there are good restaurants there, and you can get to NYC reasonably for fun or up to Boston. It's also not completely unreasonable to get up to Hartford sometimes. Cost should be lower than Stamford. However, it doesn't have the safest reputation, though others here might be able to guide you to safer areas.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:34 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,377,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random83274 View Post
I know this has been asked countless times, and I apologize. I'm from the south. I have never been to Connecticut, though I have been to NYC and Boston a few times. I was in West NY for some time for school, so I know about harsh winters. My job is relocating me to the region. I'm a late 20s, single, male. I mainly need to be able to be within a once/twice a week (at most) commute to Hartford.

I've heard a varying degree of "bad" about many Connecticut towns besides the beach towns. I generally like city life where there's always something to do, whether its food or fun activities for people my age (eg, beer/food festivals, food trucks, etc). I can't stand towns where the only local restaurants are run-down and "old", or are getting infested with bland national franchise chains (eg, Applebees, Chilis, etc). Basically, I want prideful local culture I guess you can describe it. The last I want to do is move to a small town where the only thing to do is find a crappy bar and drink without being able to meet people. It would be great to have some sort of fun thing that friends from around the country would love to come stay for the weekend and have a good time. From my understanding of the north and towns I guess some of you may be able to know the atmosphere I want to avoid: think Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

Now, I know that the good thing about anywhere in Connecticut is it's a short-shot to two of the best cities in the nation (if not the world) for things to do: Boston and NYC. But I'm not going to want to be doing a 2 hour evening commute all the time... sometimes I just want some local things to do.

Finally, I'm currently paying approximately $1250/mo for an 850sq ft. It has AC and a washer/dryer. I'd prefer to not give up that standard of living without having to completely break the bank just to maintain it. I know the north doesn't need AC, but I also remember that it does get to the 80s-100s come summer time, and I don't want to rely on fans and inefficient/loud window AC's.

So to summarize: somewhere in CT that is a nice, safe city with great local culture for a 20-something single where I won't be living in a dump to pay under $2k/mo to have an 800+ sq ft apartment with a washer/dryer (and maybe AC). I'm open to the NY, RI, or MA side if any of them are more "bang for my buck" since commuting is not a daily thing. Preferably within a 1-2 hour commute. I have checked out Stamford on some apartment searches, but most of the apartments I've seen are minimum $2k and rarely much bigger than 700sqft.

Sorry if I'm sounding needy! Just want to make the perfect decision! Note: yes, I will be going up there to spend some time checking out the area. Just trying to get an idea now.
I agree with the New Haven area suggestion as well. You'll have quick access to NYC (always a blast at any hr/day/month/time of year), yet be in a small(ish) city to stay sane, yet one that has a young vibe. Winters in New Haven will be a breeze if you been to Western NY in winter - we get less than 1/3 the snow they get up there. The only donwside is it is more humid and hotter in the summer down here compared to Western NY, but if you like summer that might not be an issue.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:47 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,779,446 times
Get an apartment in New Haven. It's exactly what you want. Just be careful about the neighborhood. Look in Wooster Square, East Rock, parts of Westville. East Rock and Wooster Square will get you closet to the downtown bar/club/restaurant scene.

Use the search function at the top of the forum- tons of info about New Haven there

Old 09-25-2012, 09:36 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,638,692 times
Hi,

I have also been looking to move to Stamford. Don't know much about the city. I'll be checking it out with my wife during our next visit. However, I have been looking into the rental market and am surprised that you cannot find a 1br in the area that meets your criteria. Did you check out the MLS. Here is an example of a listing that I found with a quick search. There were many other comparable ones:

Stamford, CT, Connecticut, real estate, home for sale

Hope this helps. If you visit New Haven, let me know what you think. I am also interested in New Haven.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:46 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,957,346 times
New Haven. Safety in New Haven is pretty dependent on the neighborhood. Stay out of the Hill, Newhallville, Fair Haven, Dixwell or Dwight neighborhoods and you should be fine. I would look at the Orange St./State St. area of East Rock, locally known as the grad student ghetto. Lots of bars and restaurants in the area and you are a short walk to downtown.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:31 AM

21,804 posts, read 28,185,347 times
New Haven.

Specifically East Rock, Downtown/Yale/Ninth Square, or Wooster Square.

Good luck!

Old 09-26-2012, 07:50 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,823,702 times
I'd say if you can get into the Residences at 9th Square, jump at it. The apartment will probably be smaller than what you're used to for the money, but it's pretty amazing space. It also has a private clubhouse and fitness center on premises, with a big-screen TV in the lounge. AC, not sure if there's washer/dryer in the apartment or if it's just a private building-exclusive laundry room. Great security, easy walking distance to nearly everything Downtown New Haven has to offer. You'd have to check with them on parking accommodations; that might be the only drawback if they don't have their own private lot.

The Eli is another possibility - it's right on Church Street, in the original Southern CT Telephone Company building. It's across the street from the Courthouse. It's a local landmark dating back to the 1930's but was totally gutted and rebuilt on the inside, back in the early 2000's. I used to work on the 11th floor when it was still the headquarters for the phone company

It's a luxury apartment building now, and again, you'd need to check on parking. Space is smaller - 700 square feet according to apartmentrentals.com. It's also a little more than you're paying now - it'd be around $1700 for the 1-bedroom apt. But it has gorgeous hardwood floors, marble and tile lobby, huge windows, lots of storage space, high ceilings - this isn't some shoe-box apartment building, for sure.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:41 PM

6 posts, read 16,620 times
Cities to stay away from: Bridgeport, Norwalk, some parts of Fairfield.

Good cities: New Haven, Westport, All 3 Greenwich boroughs, Rowayton, Darien.

I made you a map:

http://i49.tinypic.com/34r7rl3.jpg

First I will explain the lines.
The red star is where New Haven is. New Haven is considered the end of the NYC Metro Region. The red lines are where the train is (Metro North). The MNR goes down the cost line of CT from New Haven making stops at all towns and cities. The Blue line on the map is the Shore Line East, which services New Haven to New London (real crappy train though, but CHEAP). The Green line on the map is the Amtrak to Boston. So as you can see, commuting to any town or city in SW CT is easy. I live in Stamford and I commute to work every day to Mamaroneck, NY everyday by Metro North.

Once you get closer to the NY boarder line, the more expensive the cost of living is. If you are looking for $900-1000 a month, stay near New Haven County, and Eastern Fairfield County. If you want a higher living cost, and close to everything, go to the remainder of Fairfield County. Standard in most apartments is a gas stove, gas heat, washer and dryer, sink, and fridge. And YES, you do want AC. We have all seasons here and we get the worst of them. Winter is COLD COLD COLD, and summer can be HOT.

If you want "things" to do, then live in one of the cities (New Haven, Fairfield, Bridgeport(not recommended), Stamford) Lots of stuff to do in those cities.

Hope this helps!

Anywhere you go in CT there will be crime and violence, just depends where you go.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:19 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,377,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandah View Post

Winter is COLD COLD COLD, and summer can be HOT.

Anywhere you go in CT there will be crime and violence, just depends where you go.

Cold, cold , cold...compared to what Miami? Connecticut /Tri-State area has fairly mild winters. We get half as much snow as cities in the Midwest (Chicago), Great Lakes (Cleveland), New England (Boston, Portland), the West (Salt Lake City, ...etc)...and are far, far less cold.

Crime and violence anywhere in CT.....not sure that makes much sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut