Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 07:18 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Let me know what you think of the NOVA one. Video: Inside the Megastorm | Watch NOVA Online | PBS Video I thought they did the best out of the three.
It was very good, thanks for the link. Rep points for you. The government and people need to become more proactive in helping to prevent this from happening again.

You know another Sandy will happen so its best to be better prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 07:22 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Just looking back its just incredible we were seeing this happen a week before. Absolutely insane. Part of me still can't believe it.

Posted October 23rd.

Here's a docmentary video from PBS about this event.. Shows the Euro doing the unthinkable...making a left turn into the northeast.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2305482040

Same one as above but rep points for you anyway. Yep, that Euro computer showing eight days in advance the path Sandy would take was, sadly, dead on.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:22 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmo View Post
Are dunes natural? Or were they built by man?
They are both.

Natural dunes take time to build up and are eventually covered with plants and grasses that help hold the dune in place.

http://www.nps.gov/fiis/photosmultim...ngEast_8x6.pdf some low lying dunes on Fire Island.

Man-made dunes can be built up quickly and are usually put in to protect coastal areas that have been developed. There were some in Long Beach and I even saw some in part of the Rockaways in Queens (Belle Harbor area).

I have heard that the Long Beach ones are gone (and I guess the Rockaway ones too) as well as the natural dunes at Gilgo Beach here in the Town of Babylon. This is ashame because the Gilgo ones were quite high (some at least 20'+ I think) and it was a beautiful undeveloped area.

Fire Island's dunes also got hit but they did their job because while some houses on FI were badly damaged, it could have been alot worse.

Sand Dunes - Fire Island National Seashore

Old 11-27-2012, 03:57 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today held a briefing with New York State's Congressional delegation, New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and County Executives from Nassau, Suffolk and Westchester Counties to review a detailed assessment of the damage and future mitigation/prevention costs as a result of Hurricane Sandy, as well as discuss the state's approach to seeking supplemental federal assistance to help cover the repair and restoration costs.

The cost of the storm, as estimated in consultation with private firms including PricewaterhouseCoopers and the PFM Group, as well as the city and the counties, includes:
  • $32.8 billion in repair and restoration costs
  • $9.1 billion in mitigation and prevention costs
Get the breakdown with this link. Governor Cuomo Holds Meeting with New York's Congressional Delegation, Mayor Bloomberg and Regional County Executives to Review Damage Assessment for the State in the Wake of Hurricane Sandy | Governor Andrew M. Cuomo

Old 11-27-2012, 03:59 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Sandy vs Katrina.

Hurricane Sandy vs. Hurricane Katrina - NYTimes.com

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut