Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 04:15 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,911,793 times

Advertisements

18 year trooper earning a base salary of $80,000, plus CT's generous benefits, plus overtime.

Trooper Accused of Stealing from Victim of Fatal Crash | NBC Connecticut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 06:00 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,024,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
18 year trooper earning a base salary of $80,000, plus CT's generous benefits, plus overtime.

Trooper Accused of Stealing from Victim of Fatal Crash | NBC Connecticut

With overtime his salary would easily top 110K. Don't forget he gets his pension calculated off of 110K not the base of 80K.

This is pretty horrible! To me is makes no sense to risk your career over some jewelry?

The police are a little crazy and this doesn't surprise me.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:03 PM

21,673 posts, read 31,345,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
The police are a little crazy and this doesn't surprise me.
Painting with a broad brush, there, don't ya think?

Old 11-29-2012, 07:05 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,631,874 times
Quote:
Seems reasonable to me. /shrug

Old 11-29-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Seems reasonable to me. /shrug
For someone who deals with the scum of the earth on a daily basis, me too. It boggles my mind when people complain about the salary of a police officer, the person they call when they're in need, as if they would rather have them be paid $15/hr with little benefits. You get what you pay for.

I didn't see a thread about the massive quarter-billion dollar insider trading investigation engulfing SAC Capital last week, but when a middle class guy is accused of committing larceny, he's subject to a firing squad.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:55 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,911,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
For someone who deals with the scum of the earth on a daily basis, me too. It boggles my mind when people complain about the salary of a police officer, the person they call when they're in need, as if they would rather have them be paid $15/hr with little benefits. You get what you pay for.

I didn't see a thread about the massive quarter-billion dollar insider trading investigation engulfing SAC Capital last week, but when a middle class guy is accused of committing larceny, he's subject to a firing squad.
I can see 80K(or more) for a patrolman on the beat in Hartford/New Haven/Bridgeport/etc. But, i think it's a little bit on the high side for being a trooper. Don't forget, a trooper also has use of their cruiser 24/7, unlike the poor city cop working in the hood dealing with armed scumbags all day. JMHO.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:31 PM

749 posts, read 776,401 times
You have to be naive to think police don't taking sh1t from drug dealers, crime scenes, accident scenes, etc..
Take the example, police search a drug house with a warrant, one guy is alone in one of the rooms
and finds thousands in cash, you don't think he is going to take a few and put it in his pockets? Who's gonna to find out?

This particular trooper only got caught because he left the money in this car. So, he was stupid. If it came down to his word against the family with no physical evidence, you think he would have been charged? Get real.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:59 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,409,373 times
Quote:

Being a overnight cashier or a taxi cab driver is much more dangerous than being a police officer. Most of the guys who are on the job espeicially in ct's big cities are adrenaline junkies and they like the action. Most love their job Suburbs cops have a very safe job. 6 figure salaries are absurd for a police officer. They should be paid a solid middle class income though obviously.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
I can see 80K(or more) for a patrolman on the beat in Hartford/New Haven/Bridgeport/etc. But, i think it's a little bit on the high side for being a trooper. Don't forget, a trooper also has use of their cruiser 24/7, unlike the poor city cop working in the hood dealing with armed scumbags all day. JMHO.
While they have use of their cruiser 24/7, they're also considered on duty 24/7. If something happens near your home, and an on-shift trooper isn't close, guess who's going? I know a trooper who had his wife and daughter in the car, got a call, and was forced to drop them off at a store while he went to the scene. That poor city cop goes home at the end of his shift and forgets about work until the next day. If 20 years of this isn't worth 80k a year, I don't know what is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
You have to be naive to think police don't taking sh1t from drug dealers, crime scenes, accident scenes, etc..
Take the example, police search a drug house with a warrant, one guy is alone in one of the rooms
and finds thousands in cash, you don't think he is going to take a few and put it in his pockets? Who's gonna to find out?
This is why when testing/recruiting and training, the departments put so much emphasis on honesty and integrity. If they find out you lied about ANYTHING during the recruitment process, you're automatically DQ'd. Lack of integrity is something that affects all jobs, not just police officers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Being a overnight cashier or a taxi cab driver is much more dangerous than being a police officer. Most of the guys who are on the job espeicially in ct's big cities are adrenaline junkies and they like the action. Most love their job Suburbs cops have a very safe job. 6 figure salaries are absurd for a police officer. They should be paid a solid middle class income though obviously.
I don't disagree that being an overnight cashier is dangerous, but you're naive to think the suburban cops don't deal with the dirt. Completely naive.

Re six figure salaries, there are almost no patrolman that make six figures before overtime. The max base salary I'm aware of in most Connecticut municipalities is in the 80-85k range, and that's for the most veteran officers. And you know what? They spend 20 years dealing with dirtbags, give them the friggen' 85k. They deserve every bit of it.

Re overtime, the vast majority of police overtime is paid for by contractors and private companies, NOT taxpayer money. This is fact. What I don't agree with is their pension being based on their top 3 including overtime.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:35 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,409,373 times
Quote:
While they have use of their cruiser 24/7, they're also considered on duty 24/7. If something happens near your home, and an on-shift trooper isn't close, guess who's going? I know a trooper who had his wife and daughter in the car, got a call, and was forced to drop them off at a store while he went to the scene. That poor city cop goes home at the end of his shift and forgets about work until the next day. If 20 years of this isn't worth 80k a year, I don't know what is.

This is why when testing/recruiting and training, the departments put so much emphasis on honesty and integrity. If they find out you lied about ANYTHING during the recruitment process, you're automatically DQ'd. Lack of integrity is something that affects all jobs, not just police officers.

I don't disagree that being an overnight cashier is dangerous, but you're naive to think the suburban cops don't deal with the dirt. Completely naive.

Re six figure salaries, there are almost no patrolman that make six figures before overtime. The max base salary I'm aware of in most Connecticut municipalities is in the 80-85k range, and that's for the most veteran officers. And you know what? They spend 20 years dealing with dirtbags, give them the friggen' 85k. They deserve every bit of it.

Re overtime, the vast majority of police overtime is paid for by contractors and private companies, NOT taxpayer money. This is fact. What I don't agree with is their pension being based on their top 3 including overtime.
Look at the murder rates of suburban police officers. It's a very safe job. Nobody is saying the job is easy though.
Most likely way a police officer will die is in a car accident. They have a badge, gun, nightstick and a radio/backup to deal with the dirt as you put it. They should just hire more police officers rather than paying overtime. More jobs and people really shouldn't be doing a stressful job like that more than 40 hours anyway. Good way to burn out.

The most obscenely paid officers aren't patrolmen, but LT's, chiefs ect. The one's that sit at a desk all day. They can rake in well over 100k without OT. Unconn's police chief made over 200k That's obscene.

There's a 1000 qualified applicants for every opening in many cases. Competition is intense to become a police officer. People spend years trying to get hired. It didn't used to be like this, but it is now.(due to a shrinking amount of jobs that pay a living wage) Very difficult to get hired on. Talk to any recent recruit and you'll find out. Nobody wants to admit it, but police/fireman jobs are the gravy right now for the majority. It gives you a solid middle class income with great benefits, job security, and is an exciting career path for many who are interested in the field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut