Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 05:13 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times

Advertisements

As badly as i feel about the GHS student that committed suicide due to bullying, i'm not so sure that i agree with the action taken by Stamford police in this incident. I feel that at a private school, it should be the administrator's responsibility to resolve(expel) the issue.

Thoughts?

Stamford girl, 12, charged with bullying - StamfordAdvocate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 06:23 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times
They need to draw a line in the sand with these kids. Nowadays, bullying's intensity is exponentially worse with social media as a force multiplier. Weaker kids dont have a chance.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:35 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
I agree with Tetto. Something needs to be done and the schools can only do so much. There is nothing wrong with a healthy amount of fear, some of these kids need that to truly realize the seriousness of the situation. Bullying is no laughing matter and becoming more prevalent because no action is being taken. Those children who are being bullied are the ones paying for our lack of action.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:57 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
Frankly, I think bullying is way overrated in terms of its seriousness. It's wrong, yes, but the proper response is fighting back, not running to someone else to fight your battles for you. I say this as someone who was picked on a lot as a child, by the way. Learn to stand up for yourself for crying out loud. The suicides are tragic, yes, it shouldn't come to that, it is shameful, but criminalizing meanness isn't the answer. You teach people that bullies have no power over you, the cycle is broken.

I am not saying that bullying is okay, not at all. What I am really saying is that fighting back is the answer, & people should be allowed to fight back. I've always thought it wrong when kids in fights both get in trouble even if they are able to establish clearly who started it. A person should be able to defend THEMSELVES, not always have the teacher or the police do it for them. I understand we can't have vigilantism, but at the same time I think we give too much power to human resources persons, police, other rule makers rather than being allowed to fight our own battles when we're able to.

It reminds me a lot of how the workplace became years ago with sexual harassment rules etc. Mod, please don't "cut" this, I think it relates to the topic. What I am saying is that in the workplace you're told over & over "if so & so is bothering you & you don't feel comfortable telling them yourselves, tell us." What a load of rubbish. To me, you should HAVE to tell the potential offender first or else your complaint should be ignored. The risk of retaliation pales compared to the far higher likelihood that the offender may not even realize what they're doing bothers you, and would be glad to stop upon being told. They don't need you running up to management tattle-telling on them for something they didn't even realize they were doing. Have the guts & decency to say something to them YOURSELF first, and if they continue, then by all means take it up with management. Using them as your means of relaying your issue rather than having the decency to do it yourself is just as indecent as the inappropriate behavior itself is, if not more so.

To me, this is the same sort of thing. Stand up for yourself, fight back.

LRH

Last edited by shyguylh; 10-03-2013 at 09:10 PM..

Old 10-03-2013, 11:28 PM

10,107 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
Frankly, I think bullying is way overrated in terms of its seriousness. It's wrong, yes, but the proper response is fighting back, not running to someone else to fight your battles for you.
Some kids fight back with their own fists while others are smarter and get the law on their side.

I personally think this reaction was a little too much, but at least the kid will learn her lesson in a way that is guaranteed she will never forget it and sometimes a slightly traumatic experience is exactly what some kids need to put them on the right path again.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
They need to draw a line in the sand with these kids. Nowadays, bullying's intensity is exponentially worse with social media as a force multiplier. Weaker kids dont have a chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I agree with Tetto. Something needs to be done and the schools can only do so much. There is nothing wrong with a healthy amount of fear, some of these kids need that to truly realize the seriousness of the situation. Bullying is no laughing matter and becoming more prevalent because no action is being taken. Those children who are being bullied are the ones paying for our lack of action.

If this had happened in a public school, i would be more agreeable with the police action. But seeing as it was a private school, i think expelling the bullier would have been more effective than an arrest.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:17 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
A little over the top. Sometimes it sure seems like were becoming a nation of pansies.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:54 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
If this had happened in a public school, i would be more agreeable with the police action. But seeing as it was a private school, i think expelling the bullier would have been more effective than an arrest.
I'll bet this girl was so shaken up she won't even contemplate bullying again. This may be a good model for nipping it in the bud. I still think with the advent of social media, these little savages need to be reigned in harshly. When I was growing up, there was no means for the continued harassment out of school (ie. Facebook etc.). If you smacked the s#it out of a kid for bugging you, it usually ended there. Things are MUCH different today.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:24 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Since we know that the results of bullying can be deadly, I do think it needs to be taken seriously. Too often schools ignore the problem... If we get schools more involved then perhaps police intervention will be unnecessary.

I assume that someone called the police here-- likely the victim's family. If they police are called they have to investigate the complaint and this child broke the law. I don't think you want the police involved in every case-- or even the majority-- but this time it yielded the right result.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Since we know that the results of bullying can be deadly, I do think it needs to be taken seriously.

Too often schools ignore the problem... If we get schools more involved then perhaps police intervention will be unnecessary.

I do agree that public schools absolutely ignore bullying issues, and i don't mind seeing police departments step in and take care of the responsibilities that public school administrators are shirking. However, i don't feel that the police should be involved when it's a private school, unless of course there was an act of violence involved. When it's a private school, it should be handled as a civil issue. IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut