Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 01:32 PM

4 posts, read 5,353 times

Advertisements

I wonder every day why did I move to Connecticut, I moved here two years ago and still can't find a job. I have applied to so meany jobs in the past two years and nothing, I can't get cash assistance from the state because I used that up years ago in NY. I have a three bedroom apartment and couldn't pay my rent or bills so I had to rent one of my rooms out illegally which I don't want to do anymore. I'm so confused, stress and don't know what to do I moved here because of domestic valance lost all my belongings and had to get furniture from people who was throwing out there stuff. I been trying to hold it all in because I don't want to stress my son out but I can't anymore, bills are due my landlord keeps knocking on my door and my son needs winter clothes

Old 12-11-2012, 01:50 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Sorry you're going through a rough patch, but why are you blaming the state? You likely would be having the same problems if you stayed in New York, moved to New Jersey, Arizona or Colorado.

First, why are you in a 3 BR apartment if it's just you and your son? Get a small 1 br and one sleep on a pullout bed. Not extravagant, but you do what you need to do.

What kind of jobs are you applying to and what is your background? Can you wait tables? Can you work at McDonalds? Walmart? Yes, the pay is not good, but it's something.

Stop blaming the state. It's not our fault that your problems followed you here.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:46 PM

269 posts, read 607,736 times
It's a tough job market out there, especially if you don't have skills or a degree. Can you move in with friends/family for a while and go to school part time and work at someplace like kidyankee suggests? You are in a very tough spot and I wish I had more cheerful advice but it sounds like it's time to face the reality that you will need to move. In regards to winter clothes look in your nearest Salvation Army or Goodwill or even on craigslist (I've seen people give away kids clothes on there) also ask friends and family for hand me downs that their kids have grown out of.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:52 PM

680 posts, read 1,576,020 times
have u considered north dakota? I heard jobs are a plenty there

Old 12-11-2012, 03:53 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Sorry you are having a rough time . Here are some links that might help. The first is a link to various state services that may help you even though you've used up the basic set.

Public assistance Connecticut

This one is a link to where you can find free donations of winter clothes. It's long so read through it carefully.

http://www.211ct.org/referweb/MatchL...ion%20Programs

Old 12-11-2012, 03:53 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
have u considered north dakota? I heard jobs are a plenty there
I don't think jobs are a plenty there - they just have a low unemployment rate.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:05 PM

680 posts, read 1,576,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don't think jobs are a plenty there - they just have a low unemployment rate.
I thought the oil boom is still intact

Oil boom brings high-paying jobs to North Dakota - Sep. 28, 2011

Old 12-11-2012, 05:45 PM

856 posts, read 2,015,379 times
Agree...I think your best bet is to relocate again...start looking for jobs in your field in other states. If you find a concentration then head there. You might look at gas stations, convenience stores, Aldi, auto parts stores those places don't usually advertise and the rate is often $10 an hour or more. Even if its not your forever job it'll get you some money and a chance for a recent employment reference.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:11 PM

885 posts, read 1,881,812 times
isnt a 3 bed room apartment kinda big?

Old 12-13-2012, 09:21 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,160,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseyphantom View Post
I wonder every day why did I move to Connecticut, I moved here two years ago and still can't find a job. I have applied to so meany jobs in the past two years and nothing, I can't get cash assistance from the state because I used that up years ago in NY. I have a three bedroom apartment and couldn't pay my rent or bills so I had to rent one of my rooms out illegally which I don't want to do anymore. I'm so confused, stress and don't know what to do I moved here because of domestic valance lost all my belongings and had to get furniture from people who was throwing out there stuff. I been trying to hold it all in because I don't want to stress my son out but I can't anymore, bills are due my landlord keeps knocking on my door and my son needs winter clothes
How old is your son? What size is he? I know someone who runs a non-profit organization who may be able to help you and I can tell her to put some stuff aside for you.

I went through some domestic violence with my ex husband a few years ago and had to start from scratch. I know what you're going through.

There also may be some local churches you can turn to for support. I for one am not a highly religious person, but there are places that are able to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut