Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 06:56 PM

10 posts, read 67,751 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am considering a job in Danbury so we just started working with a realtor on looking for a house to buy. Where would you recommend we look, based on the following preferences? I've been told our best bets are New Milford, Bethel and Ridgefield, possibly Redding. I'd value any input, thank you.

1. Want to live within walking distance of or in a village/town - i.e., a quaint Main Street type of feel with a library, a few shops and restaurants, town square, etc. Prefer to drive only when necessary.
2. Want to buy an older, not huge house - something colonial, or at least not built after the 1960s, less than 3000 sq. feet, and in a diverse area (not a subdivision where many houses look similar).
3. No need for a large amount of land - a small yard would be great - or a garage.
4. No more than 15 miles any direction from Danbury.
5. ETA want to spend about $700k tops for 3bd/2ba.

Also, are there certain commutes into Danbury that are worse than others - i.e., is it best to stay away from 84?

I'd value any input, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 07:01 PM

879 posts, read 1,659,529 times
What's your price range? Ridgefield and Redding are substantially more expensive, but are very cute.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:03 PM

Duh - I just edited my post to add 'want to spend about $700k tops for 3bd/2ba.'

Old 08-09-2007, 07:16 PM

879 posts, read 1,659,529 times
It looks like a lot of those towns have sections that are walking distance to the town center, but I'm more familiar from having driven in the area. You'll get the most for your money in Danbury or New Milford...but Redding and Ridgefield are just gorgeous.

I don't really know about the driving times/walkability, though.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:39 PM

Thank you Lintu - from what I can tell, Ridgefield and New Milton both have town centers that sound like what I would want - but does Danbury? I haven't been able to find any homes there that are described as being near the center of town . . .

Old 08-09-2007, 08:10 PM

12 posts, read 50,178 times
Hey Redhand11,

I am looking to relocate to that area as well. I have been focusing my search within a 10 mile radius of Danbury. Good Luck in your move, there are some truly some beautiful areas and properties...

All,

My price range is quite modest at ~300-350K, yet I have been able to find some great homes in the New Milford area. How is the atmosphere, the schools, etc. Is there a reason why the homes are inexpensive in the New Milford Area?

How is Brookfield, New Fairfield, Monroe, Bethel, Southbury in terms of homes, education, overall appeal, quality of living, etc? Is there a clear superior/better area, are some areas more rural than others?

I apologize for so many questions Redhand, but the responses you have received to your post have been beneficial to me as well...

Old 08-09-2007, 08:17 PM

575 posts, read 3,131,538 times
New Milford and Ridgefield have the better town centers. Redding is considered somewhat rural and kind of lacks that aspect. Homes towards the center of many towns are usually older to begin with and on smaller lots..so you wouldn't have a problem in that sense. The thing is that many of such houses have been turned into multifamily..so you might have to buy the whole house(if its forsale) and reconvert it back to single family. You might be able to find a bargain as most homes close to a town center are somewhat "less" desireable as they are much older (needing work) and in high traffic areas.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:36 PM

12 posts, read 50,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glxyman21 View Post
New Milford and Ridgefield have the better town centers. Redding is considered somewhat rural and kind of lacks that aspect. Homes towards the center of many towns are usually older to begin with and on smaller lots..so you wouldn't have a problem in that sense. The thing is that many of such houses have been turned into multifamily..so you might have to buy the whole house(if its forsale) and reconvert it back to single family. You might be able to find a bargain as most homes close to a town center are somewhat "less" desireable as they are much older (needing work) and in high traffic areas.
Thanks glxyman,

Do all of the mentioned areas have good school systems? Regarding New Milford, are there any negatives that I should consider?

Old 08-09-2007, 08:45 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmoses View Post
Hey Redhand11,

I

My price range is quite modest at ~300-350K, yet I have been able to find some great homes in the New Milford area. How is the atmosphere, the schools, etc. Is there a reason why the homes are inexpensive in the New Milford Area?

How is Brookfield, New Fairfield, Monroe, Bethel, Southbury in terms of homes, education, overall appeal, quality of living, etc? Is there a clear superior/better area, are some areas more rural than others?
The main reason, in my opinion, why New Milford is more affordable than it a longer commute to the major places of employment (Danbury, White Plains, Stamford, Norwalk and NYC) so the tradeoff for a longer drive is having a little bit more money in your pocket. New Milford does have a small downtown which was filmed in the movie Mr.Deeds , Candlewood Lake, Route 7 with a growing amount of big box stores and a good amount of new single family devolpments. I can not discuss schools.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:44 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
New Milford school's are considered to be good, with the 8th grade CT Mastery Test scores slightly above the state average. The lower grades scores are mixed however and the class sizes appear to be a bit high. New Milford is a beautiful small town of almost 30,000 people and has a charming downtown but it is a bit isolated and commuting can be an isse on Route 7 into Danbury.

With a price range of $700k, I think you should look in Ridgefield. The schools are considered excellent (well above the State average) but the class sizes are a bit high (over 20 students for most grades). Ridgefield has a nice town center and a lot of great family activities. Most people that live there love it. Good luck, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut