Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 AM

588 posts, read 1,320,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Uh, what? You're discounting the Village by saying it's just "a single neighborhood"? Did you know the Village is a major representation of NYC nightlife? Bleeker & McDougal is probably the most lively intersection on a summer Saturday night in Manhattan. And a lot of these nightclubs you speak of are not in "nightlife" areas; they stand alone. So tell me, where else is this nightlife in NYC that you claim to know so well? What neighborhoods, other than the Village, have nightlife like this? I know Manhattan nightlife well - I spent a lot of time down there in previous years.

You can't say that because New Haven isn't a major city, it lacks things that major cities have. That's completely and utterly false. Look at quality of restaurants. Charlotte, Austin, even San Diego can't compare to much of what New Haven has. New Haven definitely has large scale attributes for such a small city. Nightlife and restaurants are a perfect example.
I've gotta agree with Anon, here. The Village is just one neighborhood in NYC, and it is not the most lively area for nightlife (the intersection of Bleecker/MacDougal is fun, but very touristy and filled with the NYU crowd). The Village is great for pubs, live music, comedy and gay/lesbian bars, but for people that want to party until 6am and go to clubs, the best nightlife now (and for the last several years) is found on the LES, Chelsea & the Meatpacking district.

The point is nowhere in CT can the nightlife compare to NYC (in terms of the sheer amount and diversity of things to do). There's nothing wrong with that - we're lucky that we live so close to it and can take it or leave it when we want to. But back to the topic at hand...

OP, there are lots of places in CT that you can find a small, lively downtown where you can bar hop and enjoy a wide variety of restaurants. From your posts, it seems like you really just aren't very open to this move, and you may be better off staying put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 08:57 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax12479 View Post
I've gotta agree with Anon, here. The Village is just one neighborhood in NYC, and it is not the most lively area for nightlife (the intersection of Bleecker/MacDougal is fun, but very touristy and filled with the NYU crowd). The Village is great for pubs, live music, comedy and gay/lesbian bars, but for people that want to party until 6am and go to clubs, the best nightlife now (and for the last several years) is found on the LES, Chelsea & the Meatpacking district.
The point was that in Chelsea and Meatpacking, there is no "club row". You're pretty much walking block upon block if you want to club-hop. Nightlife is there, sure, but it's spread out. Spread out so much that in the winter, a lot of people will grab a cab.

I think New Haven CAN compare to NYC, but NYC and the like can't compare to a city like Miami.

I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:04 AM

21,725 posts, read 28,059,998 times
kid is spot on - New Haven very much reminds me of one of Manhattan's neighborhoods. I also spend a decent amount of time in Manhattan and its nightlife. I was just bar hopping in the East Village this weekend. It's got the same tight-knit, but lively feel of the East/West villages. The architecture is more in line with the West Village, as it tends toward that classic feel vs. the gritty urban feel of the LES. The ENTIRE city is about equal to one neighborhood of NYC. It's hard to compare the cities fairly as their scale is so drastically different, but the nightlife for a city New Haven's size is admirable.

I will say though that the LES is becoming a club/bar mecca. It rivals any major city in that sense. Meatpacking has an odd feel, as things are more spread out and you get clusters of very busy clubs between empty blocks.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:07 AM

468 posts, read 523,650 times
I haven't read all of the posts, but I think the OP might also consider Northampton MA. I think it's a very cool town, and it's no farther from Hartford than New Haven.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:15 AM

21,725 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamz View Post
I haven't read all of the posts, but I think the OP might also consider Northampton MA. I think it's a very cool town, and it's no farther from Hartford than New Haven.
Northampton is a cool town, but it has arguably less nightlife/dining than West Hartford - which is minutes to Hartford.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:29 AM

370 posts, read 608,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Charlotte, Austin, even San Diego can't compare to much of what New Haven has. New Haven definitely has large scale attributes for such a small city. Nightlife and restaurants are a perfect example.
Did I read this correctly? San Diego can't compare to much of what New Haven has? Like what??? I know San Diego doesn't get snow or have Modern Apizza, but what else am I missing?

I lived in Southern California during my twenties and San Diego is a nightlife mecca that accommodates all types of entertainment. I don't even know where to start with this comparison. I mean really...San Diego can't compare to much of what New Haven has????

Options in San Diego were endless when I lived there. Friends who visited me from NYC/Boston/Miami were shocked by how much it offered. Everything from going to Petco Park to catch an afternoon baseball game and afterwards hitting up one of many craft beer breweries that are world-renowned, which by the way is walking distance. You can wrap up the night in the historic Gaslamp Quarter or go up to the diverse and vibrant Hillcrest neighborhood. Perhaps you want to take in the Pacific Ocean breeze, in that case visit Pacific Beach or the Mission Beach boardwalk. The ferry ride to Coronado is breathtaking as well.

Oh and New Haven is no NYC.....please stop trying to fool us.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
Did I read this correctly? San Diego can't compare to much of what New Haven has? Like what??? I know San Diego doesn't get snow or have Modern Apizza, but what else am I missing?
I was referring to restaurants. I was NOT impressed with the dining options in San Diego.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 AM

468 posts, read 523,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Northampton is a cool town, but it has arguably less nightlife/dining than West Hartford - which is minutes to Hartford.
My problem with west hartford is that it's.... next to hartford, with all the attendant baggage that entails.

Northampton isn't.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:29 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,133,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamz View Post
My problem with west hartford is that it's.... next to hartford, with all the attendant baggage that entails.

Northampton isn't.
Huh?

Westport is next to Norwalk.
Fairfield and Trumbull are next to Bridgeport.
Woodbridge is next to New Haven.
Manhattan is next to Yonkers.
Greenwich is next to Port Chester.

What on Earth are you talking about?

Old 01-15-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Huh?

Westport is next to Norwalk.
Fairfield and Trumbull are next to Bridgeport.
Woodbridge is next to New Haven.
Manhattan is next to Yonkers.
Greenwich is next to Port Chester.

What on Earth are you talking about?
Took the words right out of my mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut