Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 05:31 PM

5 posts, read 6,892 times

Advertisements

Hi all - new to the forum here. I'm looking to relocate to the Westport area with DW (either directly in town, or the surrounding towns like Fairfield or Weston). I'm just wondering about the general 'inside' info on the various neighborhoods in the town of Westport. It seems like most people say all of Westport is great, which I believe, but certainly there must be some neighborhoods that are more desirable than others, either due to natural beauty of the neighborhood or size of the homes?

Are there any areas to avoid before beginning my search? What is the northern part of town like? Seems like a lot of the area flows seamlessly into Fairfield. I like the country feel, but we don't want to be so far from the hustle and bustle of town.

Not that we care about other people's perceptions - we want a house that WE enjoy - but in spending so much on a house, we'd like to have good resale value, and don't want to turn off buyers by purchasing in the lesser areas of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 07:22 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
There is no area of Westport to avoid. I don't find the neighborhoods, with the exception of the Compo Beach area to be particularly distinct. There are big houses all over town.

Find a house you like, and enjoy.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:06 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
As with most towns that have lots of amenities, be careful when looking at homes near the railroad tracks and highways (both 95 and 15). Other than that, you should not be concerned at all when looking at homes in Westport, Weston, Wilton or Fairfield.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:46 PM

Thanks for the advice from both of you! I understand that these towns tends to be pretty consistent across town, but I guess what I am wondering is where are the "wow" areas of Westport? Obviously I can't afford the 20 million estates on the water, but I'd love to know which neighborhoods people like best!

Old 02-04-2013, 07:00 AM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
I think knowing your price range would help. You say you can't afford $20 million (few can and if they could they do not usually come to this website to ask if the neighborhood is good or not), but there is a big differencebetween the neighborhoods with $1 million homes and $500,000 homes. Jay

Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 AM

21,742 posts, read 28,070,632 times
I guess parts of the Saugatuck area near 95, and also streets that are very close to Route 1 aren't as desirable. Just due to noise and lack of privacy, and there are some neighborhoods near Saugatuck that have less desirable homes.

Budget is important. The streets with huge homes come with an appropriate price tag.

As far as non-coastal areas, I guess the Greens Farms/Turkey Hill/Clapboard area has the most large houses. I personally think a lot of them look silly, obvious tear-downs as they squeeze giant houses onto small lots. That said, some are also really beautiful too.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:49 AM

680 posts, read 1,575,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I think knowing your price range would help. You say you can't afford $20 million (few can and if they could they do not usually come to this website to ask if the neighborhood is good or not), but there is a big differencebetween the neighborhoods with $1 million homes and $500,000 homes. Jay
I can't agree more with Jay. The price reflects EVERYTHING. There are no blind spots in a desirable market like Westport. The ones with good resale cost more as simple as that.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the quick replies, everyone! The budget is in the 2s, which seems like it spans every neighborhood in town. We'd like to be in one of the better neighborhoods regardless of house quality/size, as having the best house on the block neither matters to us nor is it the best investment.

Seems like the Turkey Hill, Bayberry, Sturges areas are superb, but what, particularly, are these neighborhoods like? Based on the listings, it seems like every agent says each neighborhood is 'prestigious' (e.g. 'located in prestigious Coleytown/Hunt Club/Old Hill, etc'). Also, I don't think coastal properties are a priority, based on Irene/Sandy!

Old 02-04-2013, 04:15 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
The neighborhoods are not distinct from one another-- which is why you'll find homes in your budget in every neighborhood in town. It would be really hard to say one neighborhood is better than another. You can drive across town in about 6-8 minutes, so you're not going to find huge divisions. I think you are much better off shopping for the home you like than shopping by neighborhood.

I grew up on the Fairfield side of town. We liked being close to everything. Now I live in one of the condo complexes closer to the Norwalk side. I still go to all the same places as the drive within town is negligible.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:33 PM

21,742 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Yes, but Compo/Beachside and north to 1 have the largest homes. Maybe off Cross Highway too, but I feel like it's more big $$$ around Greens Farms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut