Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:22 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
CT is definitely boring. Go to Google search and start typing "Connecticut is" and see what the search suggestions are. Also try typing "Why is Connecticut so" and again, you will see boring as a search suggestion. Google embeds these search suggestions based on how often people type in various search terms.
Woah, real scientific.

Parts of the state are extremely boring - but where is that not the case? Ever spend time in the middle of Kansas? Get back to me about boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 11:21 PM

25 posts, read 88,687 times
If I had been asked this question as a teenager, my answer would no doubt have been a resounding "yes." Now, though, not so much. In fact, when I decided to relocate back to the area last year, I limited my job search almost exclusively to the Hartford/New Haven and NYC areas. NYC won out in the end in part because most of my close friends are here, and in part because I just really hate driving and owning a car and generally prefer big walkable cities with plenty of public transportation options. In fact, other than this subset of people like me (who prefer very large, dense urban areas), I don't really understand why others would find Connecticut boring. If you're outdoorsy, you have rolling hills packed with hiking trails through dense forests, lakes, rivers, and beaches, and all this in a state where it barely takes two hours to drive from one end to the other. If you like culture, CT has a pretty sizeable amount of activities and institutions along with a tangible history that is not easy to find in many other parts of the country (I mean, I grew up in a town of 45,000 people, and it had its own historical society, a few small museums and two public libraries). There's also a very good variety of locally-owned culinary options not only in the major cities, but in the suburbs, as well; compare this to other places, where eating out is pretty much synonymous with Chili's or Applebee's. And the thing is, you don't even have to look particularly hard to find any of these things. Like I said, unless you prefer living car-free in a large city or being in a place where you want to hit up a different bar or club every night, I guess I just don't really get what's "boring" about CT.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:28 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
CT is definitely boring. Go to Google search and start typing "Connecticut is" and see what the search suggestions are. Also try typing "Why is Connecticut so" and again, you will see boring as a search suggestion. Google embeds these search suggestions based on how often people type in various search terms.
Yeah, this really is not very scientific or meaningful. When I typed in "Why is New Jersey so..", I get "Why is New Jersey so ugly?". Does that mean the world thinks NJ is ugly? Well, maybe but still it is just one of several responses that Google provides.

The "Why is Connecticut so Boring?" response includes this thread so it may have something to do with recent activity responding to this thread more so than how often the question is asked. Jay

Old 04-02-2013, 07:54 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Does that mean the world thinks NJ is ugly?
LOL, yes. But it's not all that accurate.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:48 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Meaningless since Google now takes your personal search history in to account:

Old 04-02-2013, 09:16 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,185,280 times
I've known people from Manhattan that constantly complain that it's boring. Most of the people I know who think CT is boring themselves represent that quality, although it is most prominent with the people that lived in the exurbs and didn't have any sort of freedom until they got a car.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:10 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
I've known people from Manhattan that constantly complain that it's boring. Most of the people I know who think CT is boring themselves represent that quality, although it is most prominent with the people that lived in the exurbs and didn't have any sort of freedom until they got a car.
Exactly. People who don't live in CT will ask me things like "what the hell is in CT? what's there?"

When I lived in NYC, I worked with this girl who went to CT for the weekend to visit someone in Norwich. When she came back, she was like "there's nothing in CT."

Most people haven't been to CT or have no desire to visit, since it's not a destination state in general.

To its credit, however, I have heard outsiders say that it's a beautiful state, which I agree with.

Beautiful, but boring.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:10 AM

457 posts, read 905,016 times
I find CT to be an exciting place, compared to Fort Worth.

Seriously, I like the outdoorsy things to do here, so I don't find CT boring at all. However, CT does seem rather subdued - not only the lack of nightlife, entertainment and general feel, but even the architecture, which is not very expressive, unless one is really into farmhouse motif.

If I didn't know better, I would have thought CT was super-conservative, like a giant Amish colony. But I still like living here.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:16 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
If I didn't know better, I would have thought CT was super-conservative, like a giant Amish colony. But I still like living here.
Lol - that's a new one!

Old 04-02-2013, 10:24 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,185,280 times
Nep, I think I may have not been clear sorry: I was referring to the people that were born and raised in Manhattan verbally agonizing (a little hyperbole there lol) that Manhattan is boring (or Brooklyn/Queens/Staten where ever they grew up). Just last year a friend of a friend from Harlem was astonished by SoNo of all places. A little bit is "grass is greener" a little bit is that for some people the familiar is so comfortable that popping that bubble is impossible, a little bit is just different atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut