Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 11:39 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhpotter View Post
I would definitely stay out of New Haven. No need to deal with that traffic congestion everyday when he may only need to go into the city a few times a month.
Do you mean New Haven itself or the area around it? The area around New Haven isn't congested. Pretty much the only traffic occurs on 95 directly approaching New Haven. And once the bridge is finished in a couple years, that will be greatly reduced. Suggestions like Woodbridge, which is east of 91, make up a very low traffic area.

If anything, traffic in Hartford highways is worse then New Haven (but better than Norwalk/Stamford).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 05:05 PM

26 posts, read 53,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You do realize that in much of CT, a starter home is a million bucks? You can afford that?

Again, we need a price range and community type (rural, urban, suburban).
oh ever underestimate asians from CA, they are dominating Palo Alto, CA, which is the most expensive housing place, and all cash

Old 04-03-2013, 09:07 PM

214 posts, read 290,095 times
Honestly, Cheshire is sounding pretty central in relation to where the OP needs to be.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:51 PM

163 posts, read 240,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Do you mean New Haven itself or the area around it? The area around New Haven isn't congested. Pretty much the only traffic occurs on 95 directly approaching New Haven. And once the bridge is finished in a couple years, that will be greatly reduced. Suggestions like Woodbridge, which is east of 91, make up a very low traffic area.

If anything, traffic in Hartford highways is worse then New Haven (but better than Norwalk/Stamford).
I meant New Haven itself. I have experienced congestion on both 91 and 95. The OP didn't mention wanting to live in a city. I wouldn't recommend Hartford either, or West Hartford because of 84. It's terrible around there.

My recommendations were just recommendations, they weren't meant to offend anyone. I'm sure Woodbridge is great. I just don't know it well myself.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:54 PM

680 posts, read 1,576,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don998 View Post
oh ever underestimate asians from CA, they are dominating Palo Alto, CA, which is the most expensive housing place, and all cash
I think you are talking about Asians from Asia in CA, not Asians from CA.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:32 PM

11 posts, read 20,626 times
Hi everyone!

Thanks again for your responses! It looks like I have a lot of great areas to look into!

These are the areas my husband will be traveling to: Stamford, Norwalk, Bridgeport, Milford, New Haven, New Britain, Rocky Hill, Hartford, and Manchester.

I am also going to fly out in one week to Connecticut to check out your beautiful state and to drive/walk around some of the different areas!

Excited!

Old 04-05-2013, 01:17 AM

214 posts, read 290,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellehuang View Post
These are the areas my husband will be traveling to: Stamford, Norwalk, Bridgeport, Milford, New Haven, New Britain, Rocky Hill, Hartford, and Manchester.
Yes, that's sounding a lot like Cheshire. Consider visiting Cheshire and the Waterbury area if those are the areas to which you will be commuting. Also, perhaps consider Wallingford. Wallingford is also somewhat central to those locations.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:27 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellehuang View Post
Hi everyone!

Thanks again for your responses! It looks like I have a lot of great areas to look into!

I am also going to fly out in one week to Connecticut to check out your beautiful state and to drive/walk around some of the different areas!

Excited!
I stand by my Orange suggestion. For the aforementioned Asian population, the great schools, and factoring in where you need to be. IMO you don't want to be further away from Stamford/Norwalk/Bridgeport than Orange, because that's where the worst traffic is in the state. Woodbridge would work too. They share the same school system, so maybe just find a house you like in one of them.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:46 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
To recap, beautiful towns with great schools that are centrally located to those areas are:
  • Orange
  • Cheshire
  • Woodbridge
  • North Haven
Beautiful towns that are out of the way of some of your commuting area that you may love:
  • Westport
  • Fairfield
  • Madison
  • Guilford

Old 04-06-2013, 01:26 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,648 times
Not all areas of CT are the same. A starter home in eastern CT is not a million bucks. I don't know if the OP would like living in eastern CT, however, as it is very different from the rest of the state. Too isolated in my opinion. This can be a good thing,sometimes. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut