Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:15 PM

130 posts, read 254,942 times

Advertisements

Thanks as always, Stylo. You've offered some great advice on every thread I've put on this board. I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 03:58 PM

206 posts, read 404,520 times
YES, you use Aquarion for water, UNLESS you have a well, which many many people in Westport do. Do you know which you have??

Old 04-22-2013, 05:08 PM

I don't, actually. Will look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Saltbox View Post
YES, you use Aquarion for water, UNLESS you have a well, which many many people in Westport do. Do you know which you have??

Old 04-22-2013, 07:14 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Have you gone through inspection? If you have a well, you should get that inspected before closing...

Old 04-23-2013, 12:54 PM

837 posts, read 2,083,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I've had great luck with it. Wonderful customer service and it's been reliable. I had Optimum/Cablevision and hated the ancient/slow box. The Internet was a little faster but there was more downtime. I plan on cancelling cable and trying U-Verse's top speed.
Over here in Stratford, Cablevision is far superior. I rarely ever have downtime on both Internet or TV (can't recall the last downtime aside from Hurricane Sandy -- even then, it was only down for a whole day).

Cable performance can vary by city/town/neighborhood/street. For Internet, each household essentially shares a "node" (think of it as a shared pool of bandwidth). If/when that shared pool is saturated, things become slow -- especially during primetime hours when everyone is use the Internet simultaneously. I live next to a guy who works for Cablevision, so I bet he does some maintenance to keep his own neighborhood stuff up to snuff.

Furthermore, Cablevision's internet service in CT is widely regarded as better far superior to that of service other parts of Connecticut and especially in NYC boroughs.
  • Many folks in Bronx, Brooklyn, etc. complain about Internet speeds because you have TONS of people (in shared apartment complexes) who are all trying to access that same node simultaneously. Even when I was living in a Stamford apartment, I had experienced some of the same speed issues.
  • I have friends in Central CT who have Comcast, and their internet speeds are poor, customer service is poor, etc. The only highlight seems to be better cable boxes -- something that Cablevision is actively trying to fix with its Samsung and Sony boxes that they've been distributing over the last year.
Specific household issues (e.g. a lot of downtime) may be due to poor a coaxial line in a neighborhood and/or in your own household. For example, many issues tend to be related to the Signal Strength. Not to get too technical, but the cable's signal strength, signal-to-noise, etc. have to all be between between "X" and "Y." If it's too strong (greater than X) or too weak (less than Y), you have stability/speed issues for both TV and Internet.

Stylo - I'm surprised to hear of your issues in Milford. Again, generally, CT residents' chief complaint about Cablevision tends to be price. I wonder if Cablevision started slacking on node upgrades, etc. since Milford is on the border of its territory. Beyond Milford, I think it turns into Comcast territory (e.g. Orange).

BrianRF - If you are an enthusiast (e.g. you play online games or do a lot of tech stuff), then I would suggest trying Cablevision first. If you are looking for simple TV or Internet, I think either AT&T's U-Verse or Cablevision is fine. I have a ton of non-tech friends who love/hate both companies. It ultimately depends on who is offering them a better price.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:00 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Generally speaking, I think Optimum's Internet is faster. U-Verse's set top box is far superior though.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:03 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
Over here in Stratford, Cablevision is far superior. I rarely ever have downtime on both Internet or TV (can't recall the last downtime aside from Hurricane Sandy -- even then, it was only down for a whole day).

Cable performance can vary by city/town/neighborhood/street. For Internet, each household essentially shares a "node" (think of it as a shared pool of bandwidth). If/when that shared pool is saturated, things become slow -- especially during primetime hours when everyone is use the Internet simultaneously. I live next to a guy who works for Cablevision, so I bet he does some maintenance to keep his own neighborhood stuff up to snuff.

Furthermore, Cablevision's internet service in CT is widely regarded as better far superior to that of service other parts of Connecticut and especially in NYC boroughs.
  • Many folks in Bronx, Brooklyn, etc. complain about Internet speeds because you have TONS of people (in shared apartment complexes) who are all trying to access that same node simultaneously. Even when I was living in a Stamford apartment, I had experienced some of the same speed issues.
  • I have friends in Central CT who have Comcast, and their internet speeds are poor, customer service is poor, etc. The only highlight seems to be better cable boxes -- something that Cablevision is actively trying to fix with its Samsung and Sony boxes that they've been distributing over the last year.
Specific household issues (e.g. a lot of downtime) may be due to poor a coaxial line in a neighborhood and/or in your own household. For example, many issues tend to be related to the Signal Strength. Not to get too technical, but the cable's signal strength, signal-to-noise, etc. have to all be between between "X" and "Y." If it's too strong (greater than X) or too weak (less than Y), you have stability/speed issues for both TV and Internet.

Stylo - I'm surprised to hear of your issues in Milford. Again, generally, CT residents' chief complaint about Cablevision tends to be price. I wonder if Cablevision started slacking on node upgrades, etc. since Milford is on the border of its territory. Beyond Milford, I think it turns into Comcast territory (e.g. Orange).

BrianRF - If you are an enthusiast (e.g. you play online games or do a lot of tech stuff), then I would suggest trying Cablevision first. If you are looking for simple TV or Internet, I think either AT&T's U-Verse or Cablevision is fine. I have a ton of non-tech friends who love/hate both companies. It ultimately depends on who is offering them a better price.
Sony cable boxes? When did they start distributing those? The Samsung boxes don't need to be rebooted like the Scientific Atlanta boxes did, but the Samsung boxes are painfully s.l.o.w.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:17 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
My dentist got one of the new Optimum Scientific Atlantic cable boxes. Holy slow! Clunky interface that still looks dated.

The Samsung U-Verse boxes I have are excellent.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:24 PM

The "boxes" you refer to are for internet or you mean the cable boxes? I think we'll do Directv for TV, U-verse for internet.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:00 PM

837 posts, read 2,083,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Sony cable boxes? When did they start distributing those? The Samsung boxes don't need to be rebooted like the Scientific Atlanta boxes did, but the Samsung boxes are painfully s.l.o.w.
I think they may have only distributed the Samsung boxes to NJ and/or NY folks now that I think about it. Candidly, I built my own Home Theater PC ("HTPC") that has a TV tuner - the setup replaces the ancient cable boxes entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut