Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 11:43 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbenay View Post
Thanks for the responses. I didn't mean to suggest that we're looking only in Northwest Connecticut. As long as the commute to the Torrington area is not much more than 1 hour, the location would qualify on our "search" list. Three areas of West Hartford are on our list -- West Hartford Center, Bishops Corner, and Elmwood. So is the Amity section of New Haven and the north end of Bridgeport.
All of these areas are nice, walkable neighborhoods worth looking into. They all have business districts on the main roads that a person can access without a car. You may also like the Park Road area as well.

JayCT had suggested Collinsville. I think thisis a great suggestion. It would defnitely be a shorter drive to Torrington, but I agree that it's much smaller in comparison for what it offers. Still, it's a really nice area.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 08:30 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,208,951 times
Another option would be to buy a larger home, closer to the town center, in Torrinton, or even in Winsted. The commute from West Hartford would get old fast, and I just don't see that benefits outweigh the cost. It's not like WH is a NY or Boston or even a New Haven.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:03 PM

69 posts, read 157,078 times
Your best bet would be Collinsville.

There is no walkable town/city in CT that is worth a long commute to work. Collinsville is close to Torrington, a very easy drive, and has a funky, close-knit feel. More artsy and diverse than West Hartford and fairly reasonable as well.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:22 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbenay View Post
Three areas of West Hartford are on our list -- West Hartford Center, Bishops Corner, and Elmwood. So is the Amity section of New Haven and the north end of Bridgeport.
I almost missed this part of your post. North end of Bridgeport and Amity are not good choices. Neither is walkable, and New Haven is FAR from Torrington, easily exceeding an hour. The furthest you'd want to go for an hour commute are towns with walkable areas closer to the 8 corridor like Fairfield or Milford.

Bridgeport's only nice walkable section is Black Rock, and that's getting further away and not worth the commute at all. Amity is not a walkable part of New Haven, it's one of the few strip-mall orientated areas of the city. Westville, East Rock, Wooster Square, and Downtown are the most livable walkable areas.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:29 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
If you are going to be commuting to Torrington on a daily basis, I would not choose to live in West Hartford. It's just too far a drive, with no highway connection. It would take 45 minutes with no traffic, over secondary routes with lots of lights. During most of the day, it could take much longer, what with rush hour and shopping traffic. If you only need to get to Torrington less frequently, West Hartford would definitely be your best bet.
my mom lives in torrington and works in west hartford (the westernmost edge of town right off of 44) and it takes her about 35 minutes. the OP would be going the opposite direction of traffic, too. in any case, she said she wants a place within an hour of torrington, so 45 minutes would obviously be OK. there are back ways to go that are pretty fast, too.

i agree that collinsville is probably the best option, though. i lived there as a teenager and it's a nice little business district that has only gotten more occupied in recent years. it's an easy commute and while it's not walkable to EVERYTHING, it's a decent business district. there's a market (but it's not a supermarket) and some restaurants. and it's a very short drive to pretty much anything you could want on a regular basis.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:37 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Maybe the OP has already decided on something by now. If not, I'm surprised no one has suggested Simsbury center. I continue to be impressed by how walkable (and bikeable!) they've made it. And lots of good dining options too...

Old 06-25-2013, 09:23 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I'm surprised no one has suggested Simsbury center.
The OP was looking for a ranch for under $300,000, which sounds kind of impossible for a built up area. I would have suggested North Canaan if they could use a two-story house. There are a couple of listings on Main Street or Granite Street that are walking distance to markets and are under $300K. There also a diner and a few other restaurants, but nothing as nice as Simsbury or West Hartford.

I agree that Collinsville is probably a good compromise, although I don't remember any ranches close to the downtown.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:49 AM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I almost missed this part of your post. North end of Bridgeport and Amity are not good choices. Neither is walkable, and New Haven is FAR from Torrington, easily exceeding an hour. The furthest you'd want to go for an hour commute are towns with walkable areas closer to the 8 corridor like Fairfield or Milford.

Bridgeport's only nice walkable section is Black Rock, and that's getting further away and not worth the commute at all. Amity is not a walkable part of New Haven, it's one of the few strip-mall orientated areas of the city. Westville, East Rock, Wooster Square, and Downtown are the most livable walkable areas.
I agree that the North End of Bridgeport is not walkable but I will say that downtown Bridgeport is very walkable and has made sgnificant improvements in recent years. I was very impressed recently walking around there. It could be an option for the OP but honestly it does seem kind of far to go for a walkable location. Collinsville is the best choice IMHO. Jay

Old 06-25-2013, 11:35 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree that the North End of Bridgeport is not walkable but I will say that downtown Bridgeport is very walkable and has made sgnificant improvements in recent years. I was very impressed recently walking around there. It could be an option for the OP but honestly it does seem kind of far to go for a walkable location. Collinsville is the best choice IMHO. Jay
Bridgeport downtown is still pretty marginal, and certainly not worth the drive. West Hartford would be a much better option at that point, a heck of a lot nicer and within a shorter distance.

Collinsville is nice, but the OP should know that it's tiny and totally dead at night. I find it hard to recommend given they want a "walkable town". It's not a traditional walkable area, but a very small historical village with a couple shops and restaurants. It's nowhere near comparable to a West Hartford, New Haven, Milford, Fairfield, Black Rock, etc. It's obvious to us, but just want to make sure those unfamiliar with the area understand the distinction. Even downtown Torrington offers a lot more.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:02 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
obvious to us, but just want to make sure those unfamiliar with the area understand the distinction. Even downtown Torrington offers a lot more.
Indeed. Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't Torrington itself offer all the OP is asking for?

It's not exactly desirable but that is a very low price point so the options will be limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut