Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 11:52 AM

363 posts, read 637,727 times

Advertisements

One word...generator
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 12:13 PM

163 posts, read 241,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
No, I didn't miss "if at all possible". The OP is talking about pre-storm, and having to go to a shelter. Glad we're on the same page about that.

And my response was that most people in the last 2 storms did NOT need to pre-evacuate, causing the lack of response. But clearly you have already decided that you're right and I'm heartless, so we'll leave it at that. If at all possible.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:13 PM

35,168 posts, read 57,354,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This is the third time you've posted this thread.
I have merged this thread with the previous one the OP posted. JayCT, Moderator

Old 06-04-2013, 01:25 PM

4 posts, read 3,876 times
1. JayCT: thx for moving the merged entirety back to CT forum.
Apparently my re-post at least succeeded in better conveying
that i'm seeking CT-specific responses.

2. kidyankee764: re "third time you've posted this thread".
(a) actually, it's second *recent* time -- and i was ready to
resign myself to the replies i was getting which didnt really
respond to what i was seeking, until i saw that the thread
had been moved to the Pets forum, when i really wanted
readers who were focused on CT.
(b) The first of the "3" you counted (on this specific website)
was seven months ago, just before Sandy, when i asked
about *Irene* experiences. It's perfectly legitimate and reasonable
for me to think that i might get different replies in the
wake of a different (and much more widespread and severe) storm.

3. All: for clarification...
waiting to gauge the severity of the storm before deciding
where to go isn't an option for me. Most of the cats we adopt
are special-needs. Even if I know that the closest 24-hour vet
has its own generator, I need to ensure that the roads to that vet
will be passable, and that gasoline will be available (as it frequently
wasn't after Sandy). Staying in our house isn't an option,
because, 15 feet from the front door, there are two huge hemlocks --
each one's trunk is 3-feet in *diameter*, and either one could easily
crush the house and everything in it.

In BOTH storms, the cats and I had to stay away in motels for
several days. And my spouse, who was already far out-of-town --
on vacation, to boot -- glibly says (with 20-20 hindsight,
since our house didn't sustain damage, and our cats had no
actual medical emergencies during the trip) that the money expended
for these trips was wasted, and that I should have instead just gone to
a public storm shelter. Of course, I'M the one who would have to
cope with the potential conditions there, such as the
problem-child cat who doesn't get along with the others, and
the thyroid-and-kidney-disease cat who is hypertensive and would be
a lot less stressed by the car trip than by staying confined in a
carrier in a high-school auditorium or gymnasium on a cot
surrounded by yapping dogs and kids running amok.

So that's why i'm looking, NOT for what some particular town
*says* it will do next time, but instead for hard facts about
people's actual experiences.

4. Willow Wind: "it's very easy to figure out the arrangements and
requirements. Just call"
Pulllllllleeeeeeeeease. Gimme a break.
"you will need... food... water bowls... litter box". Really? Really?
When you read my post saying, "I packed the cats and drove to stay
somewhere far away", did you really think that those necessities
were overlooked in EITHER -- let alone BOTH -- of the first TWO hurricanes?!

Old 06-04-2013, 01:54 PM

21,716 posts, read 31,405,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhpotter View Post
And my response was that most people in the last 2 storms did NOT need to pre-evacuate, causing the lack of response. But clearly you have already decided that you're right and I'm heartless, so we'll leave it at that. If at all possible.
Tens of thousands of CT residents were evacuated during both Irene and Sandy. I was one of them. We were told to leave the day before Sandy hit. During Irene, much of my town was "pre-evacuated" as well. And again, that is what the OP is referring to.

I never said you were heartless. I said if you were "pre-evacuated" and left your pets behind, then yes, you would be heartless. I acknowledged that I'm glad we're on the same page with regards to "pre-evacuation". That means you're not heartless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusratt View Post
2. kidyankee764: re "third time you've posted this thread".
(a) actually, it's second *recent* time -- and i was ready to
resign myself to the replies i was getting which didnt really
respond to what i was seeking, until i saw that the thread
had been moved to the Pets forum, when i really wanted
readers who were focused on CT.
For clarification purposes, I'm not talking *recent*, I'm talking total. This was the third *total* time since you joined that you created a thread and asked this specific question.

Additionally, going by your rude responses to the regular users on this forum, I hope you don't return and submit a fourth thread asking the - SAME - EXACT - question.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 06-04-2013 at 02:06 PM..

Old 06-04-2013, 06:37 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,809,156 times
OP:

You are making no sense. You're worried about evacuating , not because of flooding, but because a tree might fall on your house. You seem totally unable to cope ,which is sad. Let me tell you how to cope..

Your worry is about trees ---In that case all you need to do is to go to a hotel for part of day or maybe a night. The storms pass quickly- if the house isn't damaged- go home. Plan ahead, get enough supplies in for several days. Why are you in hotel for several days if your house isn't damaged ?

If a tree falls on the house- call your insurance agent and go to a hotel- your policy will cover your stay there from the time the tree falls until the house is repaired. You might only have to pay for a night. Take out your policy now, read it, make whatever adjustment you need to make to to it to make sure you're covered. Do it this time of the year, not when a storm is coming down on you.

Gasoline- tomorrow go to a store and buy a several 5 gallon gas cans. Before a storm, get them filled, You'll have enough gas to get anywhere for many days. Top off your car's gas tank before the storm. There is always gas somewhere. With spare gas ahead of time, you can find a station open even if it's not nearby. Your husband does not have to do this for you- do it for yourself.

Clear roads to an emergency vet- none of us has a crystal ball- who knows what roads will be clear. Look up what couple/ few emergency vets are in your area. This weekend, take a drive to each. Then take out a map or use a GPS and learn at least three alternate routes to each. When a storm comes it won't matter if the primary route is closed, you will know and can use others.

If you have no power at home, so what? The cats don't care. All they need is food, water & a litter box. Cats don't need electricity. You didn't stay at a hotel for the cats- you stayed for you. I had a cat during Hurricane Irene who I needed to give sub-cu fluids to frequently. We had no power for a week. I managed just fine with him at home by planing ahead.

As for your sarcasm over the minimal advice I was able to give you, guess how I found out about that.
Rather than whining on an internet forum, during Hurricane Irene and Sandy , I called, then visited four local shelters near me. Since I have pets and since I was curious about what would happen if DH & I & pets did have to leave home for some reason, ( we're near the water) I scoped out as much as I could for future reference.

You would be surprised what you can learn by getting out of the hotel room and thinking for yourself.
What I found I told you. It may seem obvious but people did show up without food or water for their pets. They expected the town to supply it. And for goodness sakes, why can't you call and find out. The internet is full of information on each town's emergency plans, shelter, info, etc. Call, find out, then verify.

The reason you're not getting a lot of responses is because very few people actually use the shelters. Those that did only stayed long enough to make other arrangements and wait for the storm to pass. People went home even if they had no power. No one hangs around waiting for the power to come on.
Shelters are not comfortable places. You're in a big room ( gym) with a cot, no privacy and nothing to do. The East Lyme shelter which was used by several towns, including the city of New London, had some 230 people overnight, 14 dogs, 1 cat and a hamster. They were all refugees from the storrm surge, not because they had no power.

PS- tell hubby to buy a generator and both of you learn how to use it. You don't need him to be home. Learn to cope. And do read your insurance policy or take the other logical step and get rid of the trees.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut