Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:00 AM

7 posts, read 82,482 times

Advertisements

My husband is working for the summer in Hartford. We need to find an apartment no more than 30 miles from Hartford. Can anyone tell me some safe and nice cities/towns to live in near Hartford? I don't care if it's a rich area, I just want safe. PLEASE HELP ASAP!

Last edited by bakercakes; 01-24-2008 at 12:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 03:23 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,436,100 times
west hartford would suit your needs, its safe and higher end with a great downtown center area.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:11 PM

7 posts, read 82,482 times
Thank you for your help!

Old 01-24-2008, 03:45 PM

77 posts, read 325,532 times
Hartford proper has safe areas. Please try to stop associating the word Hartford with mortal danger. Professionals have nothing to fear in the city.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:40 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times
There are many area near Hartford that are safe. In fact, there are only a few areas to really avoid. If you do not want to live downtown but still want a more urban type environment, West Hartford would be a town. West hartford has a wonderful small downtown with shops, restaurants and movie theaters that is great for walking around.

If you want a more suburban location, consider Manchester of Middletown. There are larger apartment complexes there that are very nice and shopping is nearby. Manchester is home to the regions largest retails hopping district (Buckland Hills) with a mall and just about every national retailer and restarant chain there is. Middletown has nearby shopping and a very nice downtown with excellent restaurants and shops. There is also a movie theater there and Middletown is the home of Wesleyan University.

Another option would be Vernon which is located just northeast of Manchester. It is a nice town with most shopping needs and is easily accessable to Manchester and Hartford. There is a very nice apartment complex there called The Mansions at Hockanum Crossing. Hear a lot of good things about this complex.

There are so many more places to live safely in the area that they all can't be listed here. Give us more of an idea of what you are looking for and we can help you furhter. Jay

Old 03-03-2008, 10:42 AM

4 posts, read 37,875 times
We are moving to CT and want to live near Hartford. I will be working in Groton / New London so the commute will be about 50 min. We need a good high school with good special ed department. Staying south and east make sense. What cities or suburbs should we consider.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyvk View Post
We are moving to CT and want to live near Hartford. I will be working in Groton / New London so the commute will be about 50 min. We need a good high school with good special ed department. Staying south and east make sense. What cities or suburbs should we consider.
Cathyvk - Consider Glastonbury. It is a great upscale suburb of Hartford located southeast of the city. It would be very convenient to Groton/New London with Route 2 passing right through town. Schools here are excellent. There are a lot of nice stores and restaurants and a wide range of housing options. I am sure you will like it. Jay

Old 03-03-2008, 01:01 PM

311 posts, read 1,824,574 times
Actually I would disagree with Jay on this one, Glastonbury is not known for providing particularly good special ed services at the high school level. My wife works in this area and I will talk to her tonight and try to get you more info.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:54 PM

Srib - I am surprised to hear that about Glastonbury since education is so important here, you would think Special Ed would be too. Maybe your wife will have suggestions of towns to consider. Keep in mind they are looking for a town that is commutable to New London/Groton. Jay

Old 03-04-2008, 05:51 AM

311 posts, read 1,824,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srib View Post
Actually I would disagree with Jay on this one, Glastonbury is not known for providing particularly good special ed services at the high school level. My wife works in this area and I will talk to her tonight and try to get you more info.

and I'll take my words right back on that one! But only to some degree (more below)....also, there may be better programs in other counties, but my wife is only familiar with Hartford County. So her recommendations would be Tolland and Glastonbury for special ed services - or at least towns that are more willing than others to do what it takes to provide the services the students need (since these towns may not have everything within their district they may need to hire outside sources). If the issue is something more along the lines of speech impairments - she says newington and farmington both have good programs for students with those needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut