Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 09:18 AM

91 posts, read 197,822 times

Advertisements

We are ready to leave Hartford, but my husband is going back to school at Manchester CC so we're here for at least another year and a half!

We currently live in the West End but on the third floor and with a 22 month old and another one due in September I just cant handle the stairs anymore. Our rent is very reasonable for the area ($725) but thats because we have no elevator, steep basement stairs that lead down to ONE washer for the whole building, no offstreet parking (which means we are basically nomads when the parking bans come in winter), and no a/c.

Im ready for a little more comfort and convenience but we do not make much money. I am looking at less expensive areas like E. Hartford, Manchester, and Newington...but of course all the apartments with good reviews are way expensive!

I'd like advice on apartments, realty companies you are aware of that have rental homes...or any other affordable suburbs/towns I'm not considering. If it has "lofts" in the title, I probably cant afford it!

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 11:51 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,974,157 times
Have you tried Craiglist? There are some listed in Manchester there.

hartford apts/housing for rent classifieds "manchester" - craigslist

Old 06-23-2013, 06:31 PM

68 posts, read 195,898 times
Default apartments

I used to live on Prospect St. in Glastonbury - there are apartments there - I don't know how much they are. In the 1980's they were about $400 a month. My guess is they could be $800-900 now - not sure. There are some that you just go up a few steps and there is a 2nd level. There is parking in the back for one car. There are other places on the street too. I don't know if any are for rent or who owns them - they used to be owned by a guy named Archibault - something like that - I think he may have died. I lived at 29 Prospect St. It's a good area because it is close to all highway points and downtown Glastonbury. I think the washer dryer was downstairs though.....

Old 06-23-2013, 10:38 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
Not going to get anything in Glastonbury under $1000, unless it's a closet.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:54 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,132,512 times
I think Manchester is a good idea. Those apartments all look decent. It's not going to be luxury at $900 by any means, but I think you can expect a clean apartment and a safe-- but not prestigious-- area. The time will pass and your spouse will graduate. It's temporary.

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:50 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
The time will pass and your spouse will graduate. It's temporary.
Jeez, Manchester isn't THAT bad.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Jeez, Manchester isn't THAT bad.
Lol.. No... It's not bad at all.. I was just talking about living in apartment that might be less than the OP wants at this time..

Old 06-24-2013, 10:33 AM

837 posts, read 2,081,953 times
I would definitely check out Craigslist for some private rental listings - with some time and patience, you may find a "gem." Also, don't rule out suburbs of Manchester (e.g. Vernon, Bolton, etc.). I don't know specifics but saw this on Craigslist, as an example.

Affordable, fully equipped apartment, quiet property close to highway

Quote:
Rent: 925.00
Bedrooms: 2
Bathrooms: 1.0Vernon, CT
Heat and hot water included, dishwasher, ample parking, on site laundry. Huge beautifully landscaped property. UConn, airpot, Hartford and Buckland Hills all less than 20 minutes drive

Old 06-24-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
I would definitely check out Craigslist for some private rental listings - with some time and patience, you may find a "gem." Also, don't rule out suburbs of Manchester (e.g. Vernon, Bolton, etc.). I don't know specifics but saw this on Craigslist, as an example.

[/color]
I have a friend who lives in that complex in Vernon. Definitely not bad.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:56 PM

712 posts, read 757,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post

[/color]
When i was looking for apartments, I had checked this one out, it looks good from the outside, but the apartments are VERY SMALL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut