Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:36 PM

21,769 posts, read 28,108,607 times

Advertisements

Anyone following this? I personally feel it's big news, as Destefano (love him or hate him) has been mayor for over 2 decades. That's a good reason to introduce term limits.

So far, I'm really liking Justin Elicker. He's smart, has proven that he works hard for the community's interest, has new ideas, an outsider to the corrupt CT political scene. He's also fairly moderate, it seems, and has proven through actions as an alderman that he cares about things like fiscal responsibility. He stresses economic development is the key to solving a lot of the city's woes. I think he'd do tremendous good for the city.

The mainstream candidate with the most political backing, Toni Harp - I'm not convinced. She seems like more of the same.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 09:07 PM

442 posts, read 456,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Anyone following this? I personally feel it's big news, as Destefano (love him or hate him) has been mayor for over 2 decades. That's a good reason to introduce term limits.

So far, I'm really liking Justin Elicker. He's smart, has proven that he works hard for the community's interest, has new ideas, an outsider to the corrupt CT political scene. He's also fairly moderate, it seems, and has proven through actions as an alderman that he cares about things like fiscal responsibility. He stresses economic development is the key to solving a lot of the city's woes. I think he'd do tremendous good for the city.

The mainstream candidate with the most political backing, Toni Harp - I'm not convinced. She seems like more of the same.

Thoughts?
New Haven is a bit far from me, so I'm not following the election. Do many politicians in Connecticut hail from the New Haven area? How big is the city population-wise? What is its influence on the state overall? Everyone knows Yale, but what else is there? Is it safer than other cities its size? When I was younger and had more time and less responsibility, I used to go down there for a few shows and it was the first time I had to tell a person through bullet proof glass at a gas station at night that I wanted a bottle of water. That was maybe 15 years ago.

What does this election mean for people outside of New Haven? What business is it of ours? What are the implications for the future of Connecticut?

Thanks.

El Scorcho

Old 07-09-2013, 09:21 PM

I'm not sure this is the right thread for a debrief on New Haven, but it's the state's 2nd most populous city behind Bridgeport. It's changed a lot in 15 years, and while it still has a serious crime problem in certain neighborhoods - it's drastically improved and grown since then.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:14 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,870,070 times
Based upon what he did in Stamford, i think Dan Malloy would have been the perfect replacement for DeStefano. Too bad he is governor right now.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:22 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,689,373 times
I know it matters! Can't vote in this- but hope they get a strong mayor . The dichotomy of the city as a whole needs to always be addressed and respected. The millionaire Yalies, and the regular income families in regular homes have varied perspectives. There clearly is a violence issue. The city installed the shots fired monitoring system. I'm not sure if it has decreased incidents or just decreased response times. Either way city needs a strong unifying voice at city hall.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:51 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
I am sorry but Elicker led a group who fought the design of the Route 34/Downtown Crossing project questioning the number of lanes that would be built on the corridor. They wanted only two lanes on the Frontage Roads and brought a tape measure to a Board of Alderman meeting to show how far 55 feet was for pedestrians to cross. That distance is less than most of the major streets in downtown like Church and Elm. He did not care the impact on traffic or that the state was ready to stop the Downtown Crossing project (which would have meant the end of the 100 College Street building). He also fought an upgade to the city's parking meter system. Why would he oppose bringing it into the 21st century? Jay

Old 07-10-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am sorry but Elicker led a group who fought the design of the Route 34/Downtown Crossing project questioning the number of lanes that would be built on the corridor. They wanted only two lanes on the Frontage Roads and brought a tape measure to a Board of Alderman meeting to show how far 55 feet was for pedestrians to cross. That distance is less than most of the major streets in downtown like Church and Elm. He did not care the impact on traffic or that the state was ready to stop the Downtown Crossing project (which would have meant the end of the 100 College Street building). He also fought an upgade to the city's parking meter system. Why would he oppose bringing it into the 21st century? Jay
I don't know, still seems like a lesser evil all things considered. Harp's late husband's tax scandal is also really sketchy. The other candidates have also said some really radical left stuff during debates.

His 75 days, 75 solutions ploy is interesting. At least he's putting something out there, even though I don't agree with all the ideas.

Modern Transit Technology | Elicker 2013

Old 07-10-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I don't know, still seems like a lesser evil all things considered. Harp's late husband's tax scandal is also really sketchy. The other candidates have also said some really radical left stuff during debates.

His 75 days, 75 solutions ploy is interesting. At least he's putting something out there, even though I don't agree with all the ideas.

Modern Transit Technology | Elicker 2013
We will see. Notice he says he supports establishment of Bus Rapid Transit in the city and specifically mentions Hartford. I guess that means he supports the New Britain-Hartford Busway project. Kidyankee - Where are you??? Jay

Old 07-10-2013, 05:38 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,689,373 times
Those of us in NewHaven's suburban circle will be keeping an eye on this.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Those of us in NewHaven's suburban circle will be keeping an eye on this.
As everyone should. The problem with many new Mayors is that the want to push their own agenda and alter what was done under the previous administration. The begin to pander to their constituants and ignore peoples view from the outside.

Hartford is a classic case where a lot was done under Mayor Mike Peters but when Perez took over he ignored the important things Peters started. The mess with Front Street can squarely be blamed on Perez who decided to can the chosen developer and put in his own guy. That set the project back several years meaning it hit the street in the middle of the recession. He also did nothing to keep major employers in the city which is why companies like WFSB and ING left for the suburbs. Very sad. I really hope this does not happen in New Haven. The city really is posed for great growth. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut