Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:06 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times

Advertisements

New Haven needs new leadership badly. No one should be mayor for 10 years+. I don't understand why so many cities in CT have no term limits. Seems like madness to me.

Most of the candidates opposing DeStefano seem WAY too left. The city has suffered from extreme left policies. It's sad, because there's so much potential in the city just waiting to be fulfilled.

Maybe this guy? Jeffrey Kerekes For Mayor of New Haven | Democrat | 203.676.0880

Ideas seem sound, and far from the other opposing candidates with their near-extreme leanings. Maybe a more moderate Democrat? Maybe I'm wrong.

It's probably a pipe dream to think that city won't go with some extreme liberal or DeStefano again. It hasn't had a non-Democrat mayor since the early 1950's.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 12:32 PM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I have never been a big fan of DeStefano but I will say New Haven seems to be city moving in the right direction. His bigest flaw is dealing with crime. The crime rate is way too high and something needs to be done. Instead of getting tougher he goes and lays off police??? It will be interesting to see what happens. Jay

Old 07-27-2011, 12:40 PM

There are more problems than that, including the city being famous for being an illegal immigrant shelter city, as well as being very favorable to the welfare crowd. (Which, in turn, contributes to crime)

Old 07-27-2011, 01:32 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
I've never been much of a fan of De Stephano and for the life of me I can't understand why he keeps getting re-elected. There just doesn't seem to a be viable other candidate to run against him. I have no idea why.

New Haven has so much going for it in the way of waterfront location, higher education institutions, lively arts and restaurant scene. But the inability of governance to get control of the crime problem really holds it back. Too much of the city is a wild west shooting gallery day and night. The shooters seem to get younger every year. It's really appalling.

And I've never understood the concept or purpose of this sanctuary city stuff. Totally perplexes me.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:53 PM

462 posts, read 737,264 times
Robocop

Old 07-28-2011, 06:15 AM

220 posts, read 525,195 times
I think Kerekes has the best shot of anyone. He has lots of momentum in certain sections of the city that traditionally have better turnouts in elections. Thanks to screwy election rules, his campaign is going door to door to gather signatures from registered Democrats to get into the Democratic primary as getting on the general November ballot requires 104 signatures and getting into the primary requires over 2000. Makes NO sense.

Unlikely that anyone but DeStefano will win - people who work for the city in any capacity are generally too intimidated to support anyone else. It's unfortunate, because we really could use a positive change and a cleaner system here.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:10 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
They need Dirty Harry as mayor - someone who looks out for the common man and doesn't take any crap from ANYONE. Someone that has zero tolerance for violent criminals and if they see one they respond by doing something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnMLGkj91Og

I rest my case.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:36 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
I'd love to see Rudy Giuliani take over, even if just for one term.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:00 AM

A tough, no BS mayor would turn that city into something great. It already has so much going for it.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:36 AM

220 posts, read 525,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
A tough, no BS mayor would turn that city into something great. It already has so much going for it.
I agree with most of the comments on crime, but one of the things we desperately need in New Haven is an overhaul of education. I know there are several reform efforts underway, but there is not enough emphasis on reducing the amount of nepotism coming from the higher offices, too many administrators who have never taught and contribute nothing to the schools, and not enough emphasis on getting parents and community members involved in their children's educations.

Just being tough on crime is not enough for a mayor - granted, that's where most of the bad press for New Haven comes from, but for those of us who are not criminals and aren't bothered by some of the other policies, the poor quality of education is at the top of the list as to why we would consider moving away.

Only about 10,000 people cast ballots for mayor in the last mayoral election - that is only 16% of registered voters in New Haven. There is something in the culture of the city that has to change for a new mayor to be elected - it certainly feels like there's more of a possibility for this to happen now than in the last election, but then I only live and work in two of the twenty-some-odd neighborhoods that are responsible for choosing the mayor...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut