Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 11:17 AM

399 posts, read 851,333 times

Advertisements

Horrendous - no way this ends well. So sad...

Plane crashes into 2 houses in East Haven - Connecticut Post

At least two homes have been damaged from a plane crash in East Haven, authorities said. The town's mayor said three are missing after, two `might have been young children.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 12:42 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
It doesn't look good for those two missing kids. What a freak and horrible accident.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:53 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,278,152 times
Oh man thats awful. Havent heard of an accident stemming from Tweed in, well....forever.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:21 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
In the late 60's or early 70's a there was a larger crash at Tweed involving a Pilgrim Airlines commuter plane... Anyone remember that?

Sad and tragic what happened today. The weather was strict IFR... Not for the inexperienced pilot.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:54 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
This is such a tragic accident. I know a few people who live in those East Haven neighborhoods. Very safe and middle class area. Lots of young families just starting out.

That said, those planes fly VERY close to the rooftops of those homes so there isn't much room for error. Scary.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:59 PM

83,522 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Low cloud base, drizzle or light rains, winds at 1000' were about 30mph from the SW while the plane was trying to land on runway going north. Instrument flying, no madday call, in touch with ATC the whole time.

Strange. I wonder if birds interferred or the winds were too much for the plane to touchdown

Maybe Papafox has some insights.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:31 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,511,491 times
Cam- Sam Kantrow just had a great weather segment on WTNH on the crash. Showed the radar over Tweed at the time of the accident. There was a pretty serious band over the airport at the time. He mentioned a micro burst could have been a possibility. NWS Storm Prediction Center had a warning out for strong thunderstorms and micro burst's at the time.

Cam- Can you pull the radar loop or still from the accident timeframe?

Old 08-09-2013, 03:39 PM

This was from a min or two after it happened from the neighbors video. Notice the fire is very small at this point.

WTNH just had a chilling video from a neighbor who was there literally a min or two after it happened and was filming. I dont think he realized what was going on or the severity of it. A woman was frantic and screaming her kids were inside. She was yelling my 1 year old is in there. It was very hard to watch. It's just such a sad story and my thoughts go out to the victims.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:42 PM

83,522 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Cam- Sam Kantrow just had a great weather segment on WTNH on the crash. Showed the radar over Tweed at the time of the accident. There was a pretty serious band over the airport at the time. He mentioned a micro burst could have been a possibility. NWS Storm Prediction Center had a warning out for strong thunderstorms and micro burst's at the time.

Cam- Can you pull the radar loop or still from the accident timeframe?
I can after today when the radar files are available. I didnt actually see the radar at the time so Im curious about that. I like Sam so I trust him about the heavy band. Downburst of wind would be a possible cause for sure but why wouldn't ATC say dont land yet if thats the case.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I can after today when the radar files are available. I didnt actually see the radar at the time so Im curious about that. I like Sam so I trust him about the heavy band. Downburst of wind would be a possible cause for sure but why wouldn't ATC say dont land yet if thats the case.

Sam said the weather was quite bad at the time and gave the obs from Tweed. The pilot went around after a failed first approach probably due to the bad weather. He was on his second landing attempt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut