Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2017, 01:47 PM

184 posts, read 106,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Interesting take on GE and Alexion's moves to Boston and how little the moves have done for the company's bottom line and stock prices. Even more interesting was the comment made by another Connecticut CEO that his company has no problem finding or attracting talent in our state. This is on top of comments made by Travelers CEO that their tech center is in Hartford and they have no problem attracting workers, as well as Pratt & Whitney's recent opening of a $400 million engineering center and UTC's new research facility. Makes you wonder who is right and who is making unsubstantiated claims. I think the answer is kind of clear. Jay

Dan Haar: It looks like Boston is no cure-all landing spot - Connecticut Post
Boston is a great city, just moved from a city outside of it, but being there is not going to help a companies bottom line. Decision makers for those companies just wanted to be in a "hotter" city then where they were in CT. Bottom line, that is it. Because good luck with your commute into Boston or Cambridge, from any direction, and yes, you can attract more talent via the many universities there, but you are going to have to pay for it, because everyone in that area has options, and the talent work force there, knows it, and takes advantage of it. Very hard to hire good people up there right now who are unemployed where the employer holds all the cards, otherwise, if you are going to poach talent, you are going to pay for it, bye-bye bottom line.

If housing prices here continue to drop, you will see more people like myself, who are going to sell their 1400 SQ foot house, and come down here where you can 4x the square footage for prices you are never going to come close to getting unless you are a millionaire to start up there if you want to live within an hour commute of either city.

quick story: The company I work for used to be based on Long Island. They moved to PA years ago when someone very high up purchased land for a house in a town and decided the company needed to come with him. Now the company is based in PA.

Last edited by NUHuskies01; 12-12-2017 at 02:03 PM..

Old 12-12-2017, 02:20 PM

105 posts, read 225,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUHuskies01 View Post
Boston is a great city, just moved from a city outside of it, but being there is not going to help a companies bottom line. Decision makers for those companies just wanted to be in a "hotter" city then where they were in CT. Bottom line, that is it. Because good luck with your commute into Boston or Cambridge, from any direction, and yes, you can attract more talent via the many universities there, but you are going to have to pay for it, because everyone in that area has options, and the talent work force there, knows it, and takes advantage of it. Very hard to hire good people up there right now who are unemployed where the employer holds all the cards, otherwise, if you are going to poach talent, you are going to pay for it, bye-bye bottom line.

If housing prices here continue to drop, you will see more people like myself, who are going to sell their 1400 SQ foot house, and come down here where you can 4x the square footage for prices you are never going to come close to getting unless you are a millionaire to start up there if you want to live within an hour commute of either city.

quick story: The company I work for used to be based on Long Island. They moved to PA years ago when someone very high up purchased land for a house in a town and decided the company needed to come with him. Now the company is based in PA.
So are you living in PA now? Or Connecticut?

Old 12-12-2017, 02:49 PM

752 posts, read 553,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Interesting take on GE and Alexion's moves to Boston and how little the moves have done for the company's bottom line and stock prices. Even more interesting was the comment made by another Connecticut CEO that his company has no problem finding or attracting talent in our state. This is on top of comments made by Travelers CEO that their tech center is in Hartford and they have no problem attracting workers, as well as Pratt & Whitney's recent opening of a $400 million engineering center and UTC's new research facility. Makes you wonder who is right and who is making unsubstantiated claims. I think the answer is kind of clear. Jay

Dan Haar: It looks like Boston is no cure-all landing spot - Connecticut Post
I think it's too early to tell. The move by GE was a long-term workforce investment. With the amount of innovation activity there, I think the hope proximity will put them more on the map.

Old 12-12-2017, 03:55 PM

184 posts, read 106,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvrpl View Post
So are you living in PA now? Or Connecticut?
Me, CT. I worked in one of their minor buildings in MA, and due to my overall excellence, they have continued to let me do my job out of my new house in CT.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:25 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post
I think it's too early to tell. The move by GE was a long-term workforce investment. With the amount of innovation activity there, I think the hope proximity will put them more on the map.
Exactly - saying it hasn't worked out after only a year it a little short sighted.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:15 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Exactly - saying it hasn't worked out after only a year it a little short sighted.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:58 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Malloy want to raise Ct taxes again they are not high enough

Malloy: Cut muny aid, raise sales tax - Connecticut Post

Old 12-13-2017, 11:52 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post

Just legalize weed, tax it and be done with all this.

Although in 6 months there will be another deficit hole to fill. This is what happens when you fix 1/3 of your budget for the foreseeable future and as a result are forced to cut everywhere else and/or raise taxes.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:08 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Car taxes are going up starting December 15 in many CT towns and cities

Old 12-13-2017, 02:26 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post

I don't think this is what Malloy wants to do. He is just telling the Legislature their options to reduce the deficit. I think this is a case of shooting the messenger. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut