Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2018, 02:06 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I disagree with you. Connecticut residents elected the leaders that made this mess. They also did not hold them accountable for poor decisions made.

And why should healthcare facilities be exempt? You seem to be bias toward the healthcare industry in general. Shouldn’t all industries be treated the same? Jay

Old 04-14-2018, 02:16 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It kind of depends on your zip code. In new construction middle class sprawl, chains dominate. There isn't much of that in the Northeast Corridor.
True, although even that is starting to change (thinking of Raleigh and Atlanta in particular)

We dine out regularly... my school-aged CT-raised child has been to a sit-down chain restaurant exactly once

Old 04-14-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
True, although even that is starting to change (thinking of Raleigh and Atlanta in particular)

We dine out regularly... my school-aged CT-raised child has been to a sit-down chain restaurant exactly once
several by milford, buffalo wild wings, Red Robin, TGIF, Chilis, Olive Garden....

Old 04-15-2018, 06:40 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
several by milford, buffalo wild wings, Red Robin, TGIF, Chilis, Olive Garden....
But many more independent, or local chains (like Plan B, Colony, Tomato & Co)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It kind of depends on your zip code. In new construction middle class sprawl, chains dominate. There isn't much of that in the Northeast Corridor.
Yes, true. But even still on a macro level they are declining.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:51 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Quote:
I disagree with you. Connecticut residents elected the leaders that made this mess. They also did not hold them accountable for poor decisions made.

And why should healthcare facilities be exempt? You seem to be bias toward the healthcare industry in general. Shouldn’t all industries be treated the same? Jay
I didn't elect these leaders. I voted other. For the past five year's hospitals have had an additional tax levied on them to help pay off CT debt. Not 100% sure how it works but the Medicaid/Medicare cuts to area hospitals with this tax have increased hospital cost and caused hospitals to reorganize/collaborate together to survive.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:09 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
But many more independent, or local chains (like Plan B, Colony, Tomato & Co)

Yes, true. But even still on a macro level they are declining.
Exactly. It is all about whether chains dominate the restaurant scene or not. While there are chains here, they do not necessarily dominate. Milford is an excellent example. There are chains mostly along the Post Road but get away from the mall area and you find many great local places. Manchester is very similar and West Hartford is the direct opposite with local restaurants far exceeding the chains. Jay

Old 04-15-2018, 08:15 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I didn't elect these leaders. I voted other. For the past five year's hospitals have had an additional tax levied on them to help pay off CT debt. Not 100% sure how it works but the Medicaid/Medicare cuts to area hospitals with this tax have increased hospital cost and caused hospitals to reorganize/collaborate together to survive.
Nor did I elect the ones that started these issues but it is what we have to deal with. The best we can do is to become well educated and let our opinions known to our elected leaders. You may even consider getting actively involved. It is all too easy to come to a forum like this and complain. It is not much harder to take the next step and be part of the solution. Jay

Old 04-15-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Exactly. It is all about whether chains dominate the restaurant scene or not. While there are chains here, they do not necessarily dominate. Milford is an excellent example. There are chains mostly along the Post Road but get away from the mall area and you find many great local places. Manchester is very similar and West Hartford is the direct opposite with local restaurants far exceeding the chains. Jay
That is common in many states, partly because chains often deal at the parent company level with major mall corps like Westfield who, of course, owned the Ct Post for decades, while at the single strip mall level, its more likely, in most states, it will be a deal between 2 local businessmen. So BWW and Red Robin likely arranged to have several dozen sites in Westfield malls years, or decades , ago, with Milford being just 1 of many in same deal. Gets better rents.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:29 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
I noticed within the last few months a Dunkin Donuts on the Berlin Trpke (going north) next to Town Fair tire closed down. I can't remember ever seeing a dunkin close down. Seems to me that a dunkin franchise is basically gold, so I wonder what happened behind the scenes.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:49 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Speaking of chains, here's another one that's struggling (although I would consider this one a regional, not national, chain...and one that did not lack for quality). I know the West Hartford location sadly closed down over a year ago at Bishops Corner, now maybe more of them to follow.

Bertucci’s Reportedly Preparing For Bankruptcy Filing « CBS Boston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut