Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2018, 07:28 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Do you have any evidence of greater liabilities being concentrated in lower Fairfield. I won’t hold my breath. The wealthy towns are already paying more than their fair share of taxes. Let’s also keep denying any changes to our pensions, soon we won’t be able to borrow money. Case in point https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...oes-weigh.html
https://ctmirror.org/2017/02/03/mall...me-tax-credit/

See infographic - toggle to Pension Liability - State Share

Old 03-29-2018, 07:51 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
https://ctmirror.org/2017/02/03/mall...me-tax-credit/

See infographic - toggle to Pension Liability - State Share
That seems to be missing the overlay of how much the towns each contribute to the coffers. In other words, half the story. Don’t let facts get in the way of a good story though. They aren’t burdensome when you factor in income tax share. Greenwich pays 10% of the state’s total so having a higher pension payment then New Britain seems justified.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:25 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
The pension liabilities are disproportionately skewed towards the wealthy towns though. By, like, a lot - I will have to dig up the graphic that shows the proportion of liabilities by town, but with the exception of Hartford and a few other cities, by far the greatest proportion of the liability is concentrated in lower Fairfield. They are getting huge subsidies from the state in that form.
Of course. A public school teacher in Greenwich near retirement makes 6 figures. With 2% vesting, their unfunded pension liability is huge compared to some equivalent teacher in the northeast corner of the state.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:51 PM

570 posts, read 477,410 times
So..back to Infosys in Hartford. More details in Hartford Business.com article yesterday. Key bit from DECD Commissioner Catherine Smith which confirms my suspicion that these will H1B in future. It never came up as topic?? Really? Or you did not want to make it a topic?

"I really don't think this is going to be people saying 'we're going to let go of 10 people and hire Infosys,' or 'we're going to outsource a whole department,' " Smith said.

The formal contract between Infosys and DECD is not yet complete, but Smith said she doesn't expect it to include a provision limiting H-1B labor.

"It really was not a central topic," Smith said. "We were sure from day one that the jobs being created were hiring American citizens and putting them to work in Connecticut."

Old 04-05-2018, 09:15 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
It is WAY too early to be happy but there is a small glimmer of positive news from the State Comptroller on income tax receipts this year. Fingers crossed. Jay

Lembo sees ray of fiscal hope in April income tax returns | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 04-05-2018, 10:36 AM

14,054 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Stamford is booming 400+ more jobs the city now is Connecticut finance center

https://ctpost.com/business/article/...s-12808147.php

Old 04-05-2018, 12:44 PM

Moody's has upgraded the City of Hartford's Bond rating and confirmed the State's as well. They have some positive things to say about the State's actions. This appears to be good news. not only for the City of Hartford but also for the State of Connecticut. Jay

Moody's upgrades Hartford's debt rating in wake of state bailout | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 04-05-2018, 02:08 PM

This is interesting. A Chicago-based private equity real estate firm is offering as much as $2 billion to purchase office buildings, health-care facilities, transit-related properties and whatever the governments think they can sell, so long as the buyer gets a 7.25 percent initial return, plus annual rent hikes of 1.5 percent.

I am not sure the state would be interested in selling off key assets such as the State Capitol (Arizona doesn't own its State Capitol building???) but I find it interesting that they offered to buy the XL Center in Hartford for $50 million and spend $250 million to update it. I don't remember that being made public but must be why the Republicans are pushing to sell the facility. Might not be a bad idea for that asset.

I am not sure that I like they want a 7.25% return on their investment. Does the state have to guarantee that? Is this going to just be another way of kicking the problem down the road for future generations to deal with? A lot of questions that would need to be answered before taking such drastic action. Jay

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...uy-real-estate

Old 04-05-2018, 07:54 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Committee passes bill to develop plan to allow recreational mari - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Old 04-05-2018, 09:19 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This is interesting. A Chicago-based private equity real estate firm is offering as much as $2 billion to purchase office buildings, health-care facilities, transit-related properties and whatever the governments think they can sell, so long as the buyer gets a 7.25 percent initial return, plus annual rent hikes of 1.5 percent.

I am not sure the state would be interested in selling off key assets such as the State Capitol (Arizona doesn't own its State Capitol building???) but I find it interesting that they offered to buy the XL Center in Hartford for $50 million and spend $250 million to update it. I don't remember that being made public but must be why the Republicans are pushing to sell the facility. Might not be a bad idea for that asset.

I am not sure that I like they want a 7.25% return on their investment. Does the state have to guarantee that? Is this going to just be another way of kicking the problem down the road for future generations to deal with? A lot of questions that would need to be answered before taking such drastic action. Jay

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...uy-real-estate

NO to all proposals. I can't think of any thing dumber than selling property or some other assets only to turn around and lease/rent it back from the new owner. The people proposing ideas like this are much smarter than the people they are pitching the ideas to.

Also, when speaking about "Govt assets" those assets belong to society et al and we haven't consented to selling any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut