Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2019, 11:45 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuele View Post
You have a point. The present economic climate in CT along with other factors is a result of the transfer of jobs to other countries as part of the ideology of Globalism. There are now jobs that never existed , roads that were never there, and thriving economies in environments that were once stagnant and under performing. Thanks to the transfer of so many American jobs to these countries, CT ,and America are seeing more 21st Century Sweatshops In the 1960’s many a Sears Roebuck Retails employee’s cumulative Retirement Benefits are around double for an average Amazon worker for the projected same length of time.
And look where Sears is today. Jay

Old 08-03-2019, 12:24 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
At least according to Infosys themselves they are massively changing their US operations business model to add their own system structure research lab, more "market making" between clients and software engineering firms within the US, and analytics wholesalers. If they actually are successful in that, or even try, might be another story but they are saying their adding brand new positions in areas they previously werent in.
If you’re an H-1B job shop, you pay lip service so you make it to November 3, 2020 without getting shut down.

Old 08-03-2019, 01:41 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
In the 1960’s many a Sears Roebuck Retails employee’s cumulative Retirement Benefits are around double for an average Amazon worker for the projected same length of time.
Amazon DC jobs are not jobs to build a household budget around, nor is any retail in 2019 they are decimating. In high COL states, many doing such jobs will likely need multiple household jobs simply to get by.

Old 08-03-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazbme99 View Post
Connecticut is having a problem with jobs disappearing. Our high paying white collar jobs are moving out of state. They are being replaced by warehouse jobs. $15 an hour minimum wage is not a serious wage. Connecticut used to celebrate bringing in new companies to build and invest in high paying career jobs. Now we boast about creating low end part time warehouse jobs. It is nice to see Amazon build warehouses and sorting centers here but those jobs do not have a major impact on our economy overall. We don't attract the high end tech jobs. Those go to states that offer lower taxes and regulations.

I agree, we attract far fewer quality jobs than those that depart.

And I hardly celebrate a DC with $15/hr jobs and horrific working conditions.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:52 PM

996 posts, read 379,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
And look where Sears is today. Jay
We all know, and the Amazon jobs and similar positions are the replacement. 65 % of the CT working force does not have a College Degree. The future of CT ‘s economic vitality rests with them. The American worker has been replaced by the shareholder as the most important aspect of the equation. Unless of course you want CT to follow the model of gated walled communities with 1/10 the the crime rate of the surrounding population.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Amazon DC jobs are not jobs to build a household budget around, nor is any retail in 2019 they are decimating. In high COL states, many doing such jobs will likely need multiple household jobs simply to get by.
But you miss the point. Amazon and similar jobs are the replacements for the retail jobs they have essentially taken away. New York City has multiple streets of shops boarded up because of E commerce.
There can’t be any argument against the opinion that the average American worker has not increased their purchasing power since the 1970’s.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
But you miss the point. Amazon and similar jobs are the replacements for the retail jobs they have essentially taken away. New York City has multiple streets of shops boarded up because of E commerce.
There can’t be any argument against the opinion that the average American worker has not increased their purchasing power since the 1970’s.

Their isn't, and the worst, in Ct and 49 states, for the physical laborer is yet to come. We are only seeing the fringes of mass automation.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Their isn't, and the worst, in Ct and 49 states, for the physical laborer is yet to come. We are only seeing the fringes of mass automation.
Yes, and consider the out of touch Democratic leaders, proposing free College education , and and the same time willing to absorb the accumulated debt for those that went to College and can’t afford to pay for it. But we need more College Grads ? It doesn’t make sense.

All the time leaving the non College educated worker to fend for themselves. CT offers a $ 15 minimum wage as an answer and thinks that it will help the CT economic Climate when that isn’t enough to even afford rent.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:17 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
New York City has multiple streets of shops boarded up because of E commerce.
Where? I work in Manhattan and frequent different areas and see very few vacancies. And they are rarely vacant long. Compared to the 70’s to early 90’s it’s thriving. I remember a lot more vacant storefronts when I was a kid.

I don’t think NYC is anywhere near a poster child for the woes of retail. There’s too much diversification and critical mass of foot traffic. The poster child is the average suburban indoor mall...

Old 08-03-2019, 04:44 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Where? I work in Manhattan and frequent different areas and see very few vacancies. And they are rarely vacant long. Compared to the 70’s to early 90’s it’s thriving. I remember a lot more vacant storefronts when I was a kid.

I don’t think NYC is anywhere near a poster child for the woes of retail. There’s too much diversification and critical mass of foot traffic. The poster child is the average suburban indoor mall...
I do remember the 70’s and I was not a little kid. Manhattan was definitely worse back then. And there were a LOT less restaurants back then. People did not eat out as much. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut