Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2020, 12:08 PM

1,241 posts, read 903,564 times

Advertisements

It would be nice to see manufacturing of some higher tech things currently made in China return to the US following the pandemic. If we onshore more of the manufacturing of medical equipment- ventilators, etc.- Connecticut could be highly competitive in landing those factories I'd think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
I haven't checked recently but CT has been in the top ten of manufacturing output per capita, and top 5 in lowest cost/unit ratio. Just what we make requires a handful of highly skilled workers (CNC operators usually) making a few items of incredibly high value like jet engines, helicopters, robots, and submarines.

Old 03-31-2020, 12:51 PM

6,921 posts, read 3,754,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
I haven't checked recently but CT has been in the top ten of manufacturing output per capita, and top 5 in lowest cost/unit ratio. Just what we make requires a handful of highly skilled workers (CNC operators usually) making a few items of incredibly high value like jet engines, helicopters, robots, and submarines.
and one of the leading manufacturers of semiconductor chips, right here in the Stub too, not far from Greenwich.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:37 PM

538 posts, read 331,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
and one of the leading manufacturers of semiconductor chips, right here in the Stub too, not far from Greenwich.
They make EUV lithography machines that are used by the people who make semiconductor chips, not semiconductor chips themselves.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:50 PM

14,056 posts, read 13,946,605 times
Here comes following the leader Ned

“Massachusetts has extended the closures of all non-essential businesses and 10 person limits on social gatherings from April 7th to May 4th.”

Medical dispensaries, gas stations, grocery/liquor stores, pharmacies, takeout/delivery, & other essential services will be exempt.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:57 PM

6,921 posts, read 3,754,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
They make EUV lithography machines that are used by the people who make semiconductor chips, not semiconductor chips themselves.
Even better
and they were hiring like crazy
Thanks

Old 03-31-2020, 02:04 PM

538 posts, read 331,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Even better
and they were hiring like crazy
Thanks
Luckily for them they basically have no competitor. EUV lithography is cutting edge stuff and each machine costs in the hundred of millions. Barrier to entry in that market is very high.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:05 PM

14,056 posts, read 13,946,605 times
More than 150,000 people file to jobless claims it's the highest in state modern history. When things get back to normal the state won't be same as before it may take year to get back where we was.

"It may seem easy to draw comparisons to the Great Recession, which spanned from 2008 to 2010 and saw about 120,000 jobs lost in that time. But the differences are vast, with the Great Recession tied to the bursting of the housing bubble and the financial downfall that followed around the world."

“Once we are through this initial period of a [business shutdown] and start going back to work, you will see that unemployment number go down rather significantly,” said Zachary Cohle, an assistant teaching professor of economics at Quinnipiac. “There probably will be a lag. We’ll probably have 10% unemployment for a little bit.”

“We’re going back into the recession at a disadvantage,” he said. “I expect Connecticut to be harder hit than most states ... Connecticut is facing a strong uphill climb over the next few years.”

https://www.courant.com/coronavirus/...t4q-story.html

Old 03-31-2020, 04:26 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvon.zipper View Post
So much manufacturing going on in the south. A few weeks ago I had to drive down to Emory University in Atlanta Georgia to pick up my daughter since the school closed. I was absolutely amazed at how many companies are building along I 95 in Virginia,North and South Carolina and at least in the northern part of Georgia. I lived in Connecticut (in Greenwich) since 1995. It’s is a beautiful community with great schools and low taxes, So I hate to be negative on the state...But companies are not building in this State. You don’t really appreciate how much this State is missing until you see all of the manufacturing going on elsewhere.
Very valid point.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:00 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Inexcusable delay on processing state unemployment claims.

https://www.ctpost.com/business/arti...p?src=posthpcp

Old 04-01-2020, 09:08 AM

184 posts, read 106,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Inexcusable delay on processing state unemployment claims.

https://www.ctpost.com/business/arti...p?src=posthpcp
I think one can only throw so much shade at CT for this one. At least they are acknowledging that there is going to be an issue, they are not hiding.

There is no perfect system for dealing with this many incoming requests at once. It happens in the corporate world too. Look at the launch of Disney Plus or whatever it is called a few months back. They also flopped and they had WAY more time to prepare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut