Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2021, 07:48 PM

570 posts, read 477,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I wonder if we gave InfoSys tax breaks per FTE, w/o regard to whether it was US citizen FTEs. The latter should have been the basis, with no break for those on Visas working here.
Absolutely. They gave it no strings attached. I wish I could find article where one of Hartford business board (who pushed to get Infosys) was asked if deal assured that H1Bs would not be used and she said 'oh that never came up"..of course not, by design. Shameful

"There are several potential problems with the deal. First, there is no requirement that the jobs be for American workers. Most reports on the agreement say Infosys must hire “U.S. workers,” but what qualifies as such? Is an H-1B worker a U.S. worker? Is a foreign student or grad on an F-1 visa who has an OPT (Optional Practical Training) or CPT (Curricular Practical Training) job a U.S. worker? Students on F-1 visas who get OPT or CPT jobs are exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes, as is their employer, but American students and grads are not. Is Infosys seeking to hit that tax-free easy button?"

Old 10-30-2021, 08:22 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
Infosys? Hiring in US? A joke. They may hire but almost all of them will be Indians on visas or citizens/GC holders of Indian origin including receptionist and support staff. Good luck with their hiring. It's true not only in CT, all across the country or world for that matter.
I think the more than 200 workers in their downtown Hartford office would disagree. They aren’t there twiddling their thumbs you know. As the company noted when they announced the opening of this office several years ago, their Business Model is changing and much of their work will be done here. You may not like them but that does not change the fact they employ a number of people here and those employees are serving clients across the country. Jay

Old 10-30-2021, 12:28 PM

427 posts, read 494,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I think the more than 200 workers in their downtown Hartford office would disagree. They aren’t there twiddling their thumbs you know. As the company noted when they announced the opening of this office several years ago, their Business Model is changing and much of their work will be done here. You may not like them but that does not change the fact they employ a number of people here and those employees are serving clients across the country. Jay
Could you please provide how many of those 200 are Americans? Not on their visas or those that are not of Indian origin? And also similar numbers among the total they employ in the whole US that are serving clients across the country? Much of the work is done here? OK, but by whom??
That tells you their business model. No matter what changes - they (along with other Indian IT companies/consultancies) find a way/loophole to cheat the system (may appear legal on paper) and bring in boatload of Indians to US and rest of the developed world.

The problem I see is - it is open world, agree. If businesses outsource for cheaper costs, OK. But they cannot also replace employees here in the US with their own people. Say our corporations do business in rest of the world and I am sure other than a handful, rest all are locals. Then let's say Japanese companies. I am not exactly sure on numbers, but think that Toyota, Honda etc. may have some Japanese but do not think they will bring in 90% of Japanese into US in all of their facilities, dealerships etc.

But what we see with Infosys and Indian outsourcing firms is that - they take ALL the outsourced jobs AND also take ALL the jobs in US. In the US I am sure each of these companies will have 90% or more people of Indians on visas or people of Indian origin. Do not tell no skills or shortage of skills in America. It is we or the developed world who brought in all these technologies. We have internet here in the US when Indians in India do not even know or saw what a computer is. So, for the time being, say skills shortage. No American available at all to do the copy paste work many of them do (comedy), let's assume it's the case. But you see there are many of them as Project Managers, Business Analysts, QA, front office, HR, Finance, every other function/job also filled by Indians or people of Indian origin or one among them.

See how many IT departments have laid of their employees silently and replaced them with thousands/thousands of Indians?

All this flashy headlines are to coverup the bad publicity they are getting. Nothing more than that.

It is not their fault, it is the fault of our politicians who let that happen shamelessly. Literally they sold America. Damage already happened. Not sure anything can be done or our corrupt politicians will try to fix that. Sad but true.

Last edited by DFWUser1; 10-30-2021 at 01:14 PM..

Old 10-30-2021, 12:40 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Could you please provide how many of those 200 are Americans? Not on their visas or those that are not of Indian origin? And also similar number among the total they employ in the whole US that are serving clients across the country? Much of the work is done here? OK, but by whom??
That tells you their business model. No matter what changes - they (along with other Indian IT companies/consultancies) find a way/loophole to cheat the system (appears legal on paper) and bring in boatload of Indians to US and rest of the developed world.

The problem I see is - it is open world, agree. If businesses outsource for cheaper costs, OK. But they cannot also replace employees here in the US with their own people. Say our corporations do business in rest of the world and I am sure other than a handful, rest all are locals. Then let's say Japanese companies. I am not exactly sure on numbers, but think that Toyota, Honda etc. may have some Japanese but do not think they will bring in 90% of Japanese into US in all of their facilities, dealerships etc.

But what we see with Infosys and Indian outsourcing firms is that - they take ALL the outsourced jobs AND also take ALL the jobs in US. In the US I am sure each of these companies will have 90% or more people of Indians on visas or people of Indian origin. Do not tell no skills or shortage of skills in America. It is we or the developed world who brought in all these technologies. We have internet here in the US when Indians in India do not even know or saw what a computer is. So for the time being, say skills shortage. No American available at all to do the copy paste work many of them do (comedy), but let's assume it's the case. But you see there are many of them as Project Managers, Business Analysts, QA, front office, HR, Finance, every other function/job also filled by Indians or people of Indian origin or one among them.

See how many IT departments have laid of their employees silently and replaced them with thousands/thousands of Indians?

It is not their fault, it is the fault of our politicians who let that happen shamelessly. Literally they sold America. Sad but true.
Yes. Hundred percent. They take jobs from skilled and qualified US citizens. Some even come on this Forum asking for towns with Indian communities. They know there's others here.
It's different than the southern borders. Those personnel come off the buses and planes ready to grab a broom or strap on a backpack leaf blower the minute they step off. US citizens don't want those jobs. Lawanda from Project Gardens unit 2C or Ashley Trashley at the mobile home park aren't getting off the couches to clean someone else's toilet. Maybe not even their own.

Old 10-30-2021, 01:08 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Could you please provide how many of those 200 are Americans? Not on their visas or those that are not of Indian origin? And also similar numbers among the total they employ in the whole US that are serving clients across the country? Much of the work is done here? OK, but by whom??
That tells you their business model. No matter what changes - they (along with other Indian IT companies/consultancies) find a way/loophole to cheat the system (may appear legal on paper) and bring in boatload of Indians to US and rest of the developed world.

But what we see with Infosys and Indian outsourcing firms is that - they take ALL the outsourced jobs AND also take ALL the jobs in US. In the US I am sure each of these companies will have 90% or more people of Indians on visas or people of Indian origin. Do not tell no skills or shortage of skills in America. It is we or the developed world who brought in all these technologies. We have internet here in the US when Indians in India do not even know or saw what a computer is. So, for the time being, say skills shortage. No American available at all to do the copy paste work many of them do (comedy), but let's assume it's the case. But you see there are many of them as Project Managers, Business Analysts, QA, front office, HR, Finance, every other function/job also filled by Indians or people of Indian origin or one among them.

It is not their fault, it is the fault of our politicians who let that happen shamelessly. Literally they sold America. Sad but true.
Who cares where the workers are from. They are good jobs that add to our economy and at least they are jobs here and not overseas. Is that what you’d rather have?

The last I looked our country was a free market capitalist economy. Part of that is government not interfering with business. They can regulate it to a point but when it comes to requiring a private business to hire only American citizens, that goes too far. You may not like it but that’s the way it works. Jay

Old 10-30-2021, 01:17 PM

427 posts, read 494,540 times
Quote:
Who cares where the workers are from. They are good jobs that add to our economy and at least they are jobs here and not overseas. Is that what you’d rather have?

The last I looked our country was a free market capitalist economy. Part of that is government not interfering with business. They can regulate it to a point but when it comes to requiring a private business to hire only American citizens, that goes too far. You may not like it but that’s the way it works. Jay
Those who lost their jobs for no fault of theirs because of this injustice will care. Those who cannot find another position because same thing happening in most of the places, across the country and those who cannot pay their mortgage, bills any more and who has to resort to Uber or other jobs will care. Not the greedy corrupted executives or politicians who are responsible for this mess.

Just curious, if your position is eliminated for no fault of your own and replaced by an underqualified Indian (qualified only on paper), who cannot even speak proper English, and if you have to train him or her to do your job, will you not care even then? Will it be the same response?

Last edited by DFWUser1; 10-30-2021 at 01:43 PM..

Old 10-30-2021, 01:20 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Who cares where the workers are from.
They should come from the existing pool of talent already residing in the Hartford area. They're there. It's CT.

Old 10-31-2021, 01:47 AM

809 posts, read 469,544 times
https://www.nhregister.com/middletow...photo-21645304

"Connecticut is now the first state in the nation to offer the full suite of Google certificates across its state colleges and universities system. The program is also available to all career and technical education high schools."

"Cheng said that he and the rest of the CSCU community are “really proud” to be the first university system to offer the full suite of Google certificate programs, and that preparing students for such jobs is a primary reason for choosing to offer them.

“That allows us to immediately meet the needs of the workforce,” Cheng said.

He credited Lamont for making it happen. For his part, the governor said it was necessary to make sure Connecticut does not fall behind in the tech-dominant future.

“We’re doing everything we can to compete in the 21st century,” Lamont said."

Old 10-31-2021, 07:09 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:

But what we see with Infosys and Indian outsourcing firms is that - they take ALL the outsourced jobs AND also take ALL the jobs in US. In the US I am sure each of these companies will have 90% or more people of Indians on visas or people of Indian origin. Do not tell no skills or shortage of skills in America. It is we or the developed world who brought in all these technologies. We have internet here in the US when Indians in India do not even know or saw what a computer is. So, for the time being, say skills shortage. No American available at all to do the copy paste work many of them do (comedy), let's assume it's the case. But you see there are many of them as Project Managers, Business Analysts, QA, front office, HR, Finance, every other function/job also filled by Indians or people of Indian origin or one among them.

All this flashy headlines are to coverup the bad publicity they are getting. Nothing more than that.

It is not their fault, it is the fault of our politicians who let that happen shamelessly. Literally they sold America. Damage already happened. Not sure anything can be done or our corrupt politicians will try to fix that. Sad but true.
+5 Could not rep you again so this will have to do

Quote:

You should care where the workers come from. The jobs are here but don't kid yourself, workers are coming from overseas. It's really no different than outsourcing, they're just moving them here instead.

Then they pack themselves double the capacity (or more) into local apartments/condos, robbing the landlords of their fair rent. And please, don't tell me that doesn't happen. I work with management companies and have friends that do too.

Quote:
Those who lost their jobs for no fault of theirs because of this injustice will care. Those who cannot find another position because same thing happening in most of the places, across the country and those who cannot pay their mortgage, bills any more and who has to resort to Uber or other jobs will care. Not the greedy corrupted executives or politicians who are responsible for this mess.

Just curious, if your position is eliminated for no fault of your own and replaced by an underqualified Indian (qualified only on paper), who cannot even speak proper English, and if you have to train him or her to do your job, will you not care even then? Will it be the same response?
I even question the qualified on paper part. Come on, we've all talked to outsourced customer service. Try being in IT and having to deal with this on a daily basis, either working in house with them or having to work on the phone with them. It's pure h***. CEOs don't care because all they see is the dollars. I have friends who are still in IT in big companies and it gets worse daily.

I got out of IT years ago for this reason. I have seen friends replaced by people who can't even speak English and who couldn't learn the job. But in order to get their severance, they couldn't talk to outsiders, they couldn't complain, they just had to teach the people who couldn't even learn the job. Talk about a kick in the head to 20+ year employees.

Infosys and ones like them are pure slime.

Old 10-31-2021, 11:50 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:

It’s important to realize that a lot of that money does not go back into the local economy - it gets sent back to their home country, where many of their extended family resides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut