Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:23 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,723 times

Advertisements

There has been a lot of talk about Keno in CT being used to balance the budget and raise revenue. Do you think it is a good idea to have 1,000 locations which include bars, restaurants and convenience stores?

I don't think it will bring in the money they are hoping. It is estimated to bring in $28 Million. I am not a fan of this type of "gimmick" to raise money.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 09:36 AM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Another bandaid to the state budget. They're all just tactics to extract money from the residents.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:42 AM

837 posts, read 2,083,795 times
Doesn't neighboring Massachusetts have "Keno-to-go"? If so, can anyone comment about its successes and/or failures and whether it has helped MA's budget?

Frankly, in my view, it is no different than having CT Lottery stations situated in supermarkets, gas stations, etc. all across the state. If someone wants to gamble, there is ample opportunity at every corner. If anything, I can see people frequenting gas stations more to satiate gambling habits, which would indirectly help to increase ancillary sales and tax revenue through gas station walk-in purchases.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:34 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
Doesn't neighboring Massachusetts have "Keno-to-go"? If so, can anyone comment about its successes and/or failures and whether it has helped MA's budget?

Frankly, in my view, it is no different than having CT Lottery stations situated in supermarkets, gas stations, etc. all across the state. If someone wants to gamble, there is ample opportunity at every corner. If anything, I can see people frequenting gas stations more to satiate gambling habits, which would indirectly help to increase ancillary sales and tax revenue through gas station walk-in purchases.
I did some quick research and found that FY 2011 Mass 'Keno-to-Go' brought in $768M. Maybe I am wrong about how much this game will bring in to the State.

Losing The Lotto: How Much Would Having Keno Help NH’s Revenues? | StateImpact New Hampshire

I agree that it will bring in people into gas stations and those people are more apt to buy products. That is a positive side note.

Maybe the State is onto something...Still surprised at the shear amount of money Keno has amassed in Mass.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:58 AM

837 posts, read 2,083,795 times
Gambling is a powerful influencer when it comes to socio-economics. On a larger scale, that is why cities like Springfield, MA (and previously Bridgeport, CT) entertain bids to have gambling resorts built. The downside is that not only do ethical questions arise (e.g. is it right for your State to feed on its constituents' negative and addictive habits?), but underground crime can also introduce a slew of other problems (e.g. fixed betting, money laundering, violent crimes, etc.).

Old 08-27-2013, 11:15 AM

363 posts, read 635,532 times
This is horrible news for those of us that just want to go into a gas station and purchase a soda or a coffee, etc... I'm tired of having to wait while these gambling idiots blow their social security checks on scratch offs and then having to choose their lotto numbers because a quick pick ticket isn't good enough.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:31 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,868,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FILF View Post
This is horrible news for those of us that just want to go into a gas station and purchase a soda or a coffee, etc... I'm tired of having to wait while these gambling idiots blow their social security checks on scratch offs and then having to choose their lotto numbers because a quick pick ticket isn't good enough.
They also like to scratch their tickets on whatever counter is available in the store. I had one fool a couple months ago that was impeding my ability to fix my coffee. A little coffee spill on his tickets was necessitated.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:48 AM

363 posts, read 635,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
They also like to scratch their tickets on whatever counter is available in the store. I had one fool a couple months ago that was impeding my ability to fix my coffee. A little coffee spill on his tickets was necessitated.
I'm with ya, these gambling fanatics are really annoying. Now just imagine them having to pick numbers 1-80 twenty times. I think I just found a new business opportunity...self checkout for quickie-marts!

Old 08-27-2013, 12:10 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,953,490 times
It's an awful idea. Gambling revenues are fools' gold.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:11 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,427,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FILF View Post
I'm with ya, these gambling fanatics are really annoying. Now just imagine them having to pick numbers 1-80 twenty times. I think I just found a new business opportunity...self checkout for quickie-marts!

A couple of weeks ago I was in a store in the lottery line with a $1 bill in my hand, so anyone could tell I was only going to buy one ticket; in front of me was a very elderly man who was having trouble standing. A middle-aged women cut in front of us and rattled off number after number for Play 3 and Play 4, doing it totally from memory. She spent close to $30, then was deliberating which scratch-off tickets to buy. When she finally had all her tickets, she stood at the counter and looked at every ticket to make sure the numbers were correct. She had no consideration that by then there were 5 or 6 people in line and a bunch of people at the other end of the service desk for service that did not involve lottery (this was a supermarket) and she was tying up the sole employee at the desk. I sincerely hoped she had no winners that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut