Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 12:20 AM

2 posts, read 6,759 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to Greenwich from Germany.
We have lived in several European big cities (London, Zurich, Frankfurt, Paris) and the Americans, while usually willing to feel integrated in their new communities, they always had the chance to liaise with other Americans/or open international people.
My concerns are the following:
1) How will my children (elementary & middle school) be 'accepted' as Europeans in their school
2) Is there a European (or even some Germans) community in Greenwich?
3) I am a qualified German teacher. Will there be anyone interested in taking German classes? Do any of the firms in Greenwich have a European focus, whereby some of their executives may want to sign in for German lessons? Or is it everything just US focussed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 04:57 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Greenwich has a small international community of those who are working in New York. There are also sports stars and entertainers. I have no idea if there is a German community in town of any size.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:03 AM

16 posts, read 58,425 times
Default Sure there is

Hi - there sure is a german community as there even is one in New Haven. Just Google it. I don´t think your kids will face problems integrating. amerikans are much better in that than us germans
There is a German International School in New Yourk, that picks up kids from CT as well. Unfortunately we are moving further north as my husband will start working in Meriden.
If you feel like exchanging Germans-are moving-to Ct-Experiences feel free to contact me directly.
Natalie

Old 11-20-2008, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,749 times
check out meetup.com. there is a german meetup in norwalk as well as in hartford, though that is a bit far from greenwich. i go to both of them since i live right in the middle in seymour and they are both great. there are a lot of germans in the area and if you send your kids to german school (either in white plains, ny, full time, or in stamford on saturdays) you will for sure meet a lot of german parents. good luck and sorry for the late reply. i only came across this forum now but i hope i might still be helpful.
romina

Old 11-26-2008, 04:14 AM

10 posts, read 49,100 times
I'm a Greenwich native, and as far as I know, I haven't found a German community. While there are many Italian communities here's what I will tell you:

1) How will my children (elementary & middle school) be 'accepted' as Europeans in their school? Greenwich Public Schools are certainly welcoming to international students. The high school actually takes pride in the countries it represents. And the students will find them "fascinating", and could become quite popular. I had a German exchange student (He was from Bonn) a year ahead of me, and we were in band together. I think he enjoyed his time here.
2) Is there a European (or even some Germans) community in Greenwich? Not that I've found, and I lived there for 20 years. While central Greenwich has a big Italian community, I haven't found an actual German community.
3) I am a qualified German teacher. Will there be anyone interested in taking German classes? Do any of the firms in Greenwich have a European focus, whereby some of their executives may want to sign in for German lessons? Or is it everything just US focussed? Greenwich High School teaches German, and I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) some of the private schools teach German as well. I think that there is definitely an interest, as I also had a childhood friend who took German on the weekends when she was younger. Also, keep in mind that if you relocate to Greenwich, you are only about 40-45 minutes away from New York, which is a melting pot itself. I'm sure there should be some need for a German instructor somewhere. However, I cannot name you any firms that may require it offhand. Stamford is only 10 minutes away as well, and there are some other big companies there.

Hope that helps!

Old 11-27-2008, 06:00 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Remember that in order to work here legally and to live here you need a valid work visa or green card. A tourist visa is not sufficient.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:07 PM

326 posts, read 1,453,334 times
For God's sake, Viralmd, we are European but we are not stupid.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:28 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
I never said anyone was stupid.

There are MILLIONS of people here in the US who just 'move' to the country, illegally, from all over the world. Some, like people from the EU, are more aware of the legal requirements. But they move here anyway, without the proper papers, work under the radar and don't pay their fair share of taxes.

Others don't even KNOW there are requirements. Some feel that the US has some kind of open door policy, which, of course, we don't.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:27 AM

6 posts, read 18,976 times
Default Are you in CT now?

Do you know a teacher in West Hartford, CT, who could give me german classes?
Thanks

Old 03-28-2009, 05:58 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Start a new thread on this. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut