Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 03:00 PM

304 posts, read 397,104 times

Advertisements

the last mass extinction took place during the PETM or Paleocene Eocene Thermal Maximum(55 million years ago)when global temps rose around 5-6 degrees C- those extinctions where mainly in the sea (around 30-40%) The PETM was mainly caused by tectonic events and orbital variations which induced large amounts of light carbon and methane into the atmosphere over 20,000 years see http://www.wunderground.com/climate/PETM.asp

Last edited by newerabuzz; 11-14-2013 at 03:16 PM..

Old 11-14-2013, 03:09 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newerabuzz View Post
the last mass extinction took place during the PETM or Paleocene Eocene Thermal Maximum(55 million years ago)when global temps rose around 5-6 degrees C- those extinctions where mainly in the sea (around 30-40%) The PETM was mainly caused by tectonic events and orbital variations which induced large amounts of light carbon and methane into the atmosphere over 10,000 years see PETM: Global Warming, Naturally | Weather Underground
You are very good at copying and pasting. It's also not what caused the last mass extinction which preceding PETM by a few million years. The Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction was a mass extinction of some three-quarters of plant and animal species on Earth—including all non-avian dinosaurs—that occurred 66 million years ago. Aren't you missing a fedora hat convention in Williamsburg?

Old 11-14-2013, 07:11 PM

I copied and pasted NOTHING- except the links from Weather underground- I would not copy and paste that data as my own- the rest of the data I simply 'know of' by personal knowledge via reading. The extinction event you talk about that brought about the end of the Cretaceous was likely caused by an errant comet or asteroid. At first there was global cooling, then warming from the release of carbon from tectonic events caused by the impact.

Now if you want me to copy and paste something
here is the first paragraph from Columbia University Earth Institute and NASA GISS

New research into the Earth's paleoclimate history by NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies director James E. Hansen suggests the potential for rapid climate changes this century, including multiple meters of sea level rise, if global warming is not abated.

By looking at how the Earth's climate responded to past natural changes, Hansen sought insight into a fundamental question raised by ongoing human-caused climate change: "What is the dangerous level of global warming?" Some international leaders have suggested a goal of limiting warming to 2 degrees Celsius from pre-industrial times in order to avert catastrophic change. But Hansen said at a press briefing at a meeting of the American Geophysical Union in San Francisco on Tues, Dec. 6, that warming of 2 degrees Celsius would lead to drastic changes, such as significant ice sheet loss in Greenland and Antarctica.

the link http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/fea...e-feature.html

Last edited by newerabuzz; 11-14-2013 at 07:28 PM..

Old 11-14-2013, 09:43 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newerabuzz View Post
New research into the Earth's paleoclimate history by NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies director James E. Hansen suggests the potential for rapid climate changes this century, including multiple meters of sea level rise, if global warming is not abated.
Hansen is untrustworthy.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:24 AM

363 posts, read 635,340 times
How did this thread get onto the imaginary thing called global warming? Can we get back to discussing something important like how screwed this state is going to be if Malloy and Folley are our only options?

Old 11-15-2013, 03:37 AM

FILF 'Imaginary thing called 'science' 'global warming' you sound like a sound bite from Fox News.
The science is now telling us we have but a few years left to peak our emissions- and even then we will not be able to prevent huge social and economic change the rest of this century- I would prefer to listen to the most preeminent scientists in the world then to right wing ideologues.

This is imaginary right?
http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailin...kovicPaper.pdf

Old 11-15-2013, 04:04 AM

363 posts, read 635,340 times
That's the great thing about this country. You can believe what you want while I keep driving my 8 cylinder cars that get 12mpg and not give a damn about the environment. Still I don't see how this has anything to do with Foley running for CT govenor in NYC.

In a side note I'm hearing the government is preparing for the zombie apocalypse which is scheduled to happen in the next couple years as well.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:41 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Hansen was paid $1.2 million to fly around the world and talk about global warming.

There are plenty of reliable sources to counter your sensationalist viewpoints. For example:

Mapping Greenland

We are looking at a catastrophic 5cm rise in sea levels by 2130.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:48 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Please return to the topic of the OP. JayCT, Moderator

Old 11-15-2013, 01:40 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax12479 View Post
I know several New Yorkers who are very concerned with De Blasio's win because of his positions on taxes and the NYPD leadership. He got his start with Dinkins. If that isn't enough to concern you, you must be too young to remember pre-Giuliani NY
I am sure there are. However, his landslide win is pretty a pretty strong statement about the current mainstream political sentiment in NYC.

I still see Foley's advertising move as a bit on the wacky side, although, I do agree it is a way to garner donations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut