Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 05:40 AM

83,527 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

Title of thread should be changed, it's not accurate. He never declined it, in fact he offered hope "for it".. From the article.

"he already created a group to look into these types of opportunities to improve Hartford economics. Back in June of 2012 "

"He has talked about creating jobs, building a giant bus way from New Britain to Hartford, and making Hartford a "rising star". He has talked about making Hartford a destination for tourists"

"Returning the NHL to Hartford would benefit all three of the Governors tasks."

"The team left in 1997 and at that time it was estimated that the downtown area would lose 75 million dollars a year from the loss of the NHL. When you hear that you can imagine the boom an NHL franchise would be for Hartford."

""If we fast forward to earlier this week Malloy sounds like he has taken a right turn on NHL hockey in Hartford. "I have spoken to individuals who have expressed a desire to bring a team to Hartford, Malloy said to the Courant."

"If you are sincere and you want to meet with us, we will meet with you.
Any hockey fan who wants to see the NHL will tell you that is a change from how he sounded last year"

They should of never left in 1997.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 06:03 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,561,982 times
And today's AHL Wolfpack doesn't draw. How in the hell will the NHL return? Just don't get channel 3's Dennis House started. He's one of the few who still think the NHL is coming back.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:24 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,976,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN_224 View Post
And today's AHL Wolfpack doesn't draw. How in the hell will the NHL return? Just don't get channel 3's Dennis House started. He's one of the few who still think the NHL is coming back.
Minor league attendance has nothing to do with if the NHL would be successful. Many fans don't go to Hartford Wolf Pack because of a number of reasons including: they are geared toward children rather than hockey fans, many people hate the Rangers who are the parent club of the Wolf Pack, and there many other options to see minor league hockey in the area (Danbury, Bridgeport, Springfield).

Old 01-15-2014, 07:01 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,398,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
They should of never left in 1997.
Even though I'm not a fan, I do agree. The NHL made some really stupid decisions about moving teams to the south where no one cares about hockey and out of Canada/northern area's. They moved Minnesota, Winnipeg, Hartford ect. They've realized their mistake and have now moved teams back. It makes more sense to have a team in hartford than in North carolina.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:02 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
The Whalers had over 11,000 season ticket holders their final season. I believe 12,000 would be doable for a new team.
It would be harder. Corp support in Hartford would be down. How many tickets did Met Life have for example?

12,000 was tough here, despite the city wanting a pro franchise, and the powerful music industry doing superb P?R for many months.

The NHL is dependent on the gate, and cannot afford to settle for less. Besides the 12k season tickets, average attendence below 14-15k is frowned upon now.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:05 AM

83,527 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
Minor league attendance has nothing to do with if the NHL would be successful. Many fans don't go to Hartford Wolf Pack because of a number of reasons including: they are geared toward children rather than hockey fans, many people hate the Rangers who are the parent club of the Wolf Pack, and there many other options to see minor league hockey in the area (Danbury, Bridgeport, Springfield).
Yes, yes, and yup! I can't stand NY Rangers. If NHL was in state no doubt I would go for season tix or at least go to multiple games a year. I'd rather go north than south to see a game if you know what I mean. I'd still be a Habs fan if NHL came back to CT and still watch every single game of theirs but it would be awesome to root for a home state team..

Old 01-15-2014, 11:06 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
What sports network would these games be broadcast on?

On one side of the state, you have the Dolan monopoly(Cablevision) which is quite vested in NY sports. If you think a CT team would get exposure/broadcast in FFC, i've got a bridge to sell you.

On the other side of the state, how likely would it be that cable providers will drop their contracts with the Bruins/etc. in favor of a new CT team?

Think about it.....

Old 01-15-2014, 05:48 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,100,106 times
Where I would love to see an NHL team 25 miles down the road , I just think Hartford is a tough sell because as others have pointed out they are geographically in a tough spot.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:46 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yes, yes, and yup! I can't stand NY Rangers. If NHL was in state no doubt I would go for season tix or at least go to multiple games a year. I'd rather go north than south to see a game if you know what I mean. I'd still be a Habs fan if NHL came back to CT and still watch every single game of theirs but it would be awesome to root for a home state team..
Bet ya the Rangers win a cup before the Habs do....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut