Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 09:16 AM

678 posts, read 847,199 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the feedback, kidyankee. That's what I plan on doing for sure. But then again, I don't know what the cop saw and if he will come to court cause I heard they don't bother with small cases like these. But who knows. Woodbridge PD might not have anything better to do, lol! But I'm reading the law he cited against me and I really feel like I did not break it. It's good to know about it, though.

WouldLoveTo, thanks! The thing is that my phone has activity all day even when I'm sleeping, so, it wouldn't really help. :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 10:26 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Thanks for the feedback, kidyankee. That's what I plan on doing for sure. But then again, I don't know what the cop saw and if he will come to court cause I heard they don't bother with small cases like these. But who knows. Woodbridge PD might not have anything better to do, lol! But I'm reading the law he cited against me and I really feel like I did not break it. It's good to know about it, though.

WouldLoveTo, thanks! The thing is that my phone has activity all day even when I'm sleeping, so, it wouldn't really help. :/
Keep in mind, the statute is not just cell phones. If you we using any electronic handheld device, that's a violation.

Keep in mind in CT, the officer does not go to court. An officer writes a summary of the circumstances surrounding each citation so that is pretty much their point of view. You'll speak to a prosecutor who will then hear your side and they will decide what to do from there.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:42 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Yikes! Mine actually does too but I don't get any email notifications on the screen. Hard to argue that though, I guess. Mine sits in a holder angled towards me next to my deck, so I'd have to wonder at that point if even reaching to change the volume on the stereo will trigger a look from police. Like you, I will pull over it I get an important call (important is defined as the boss calling me while I'm driving to an event or my parents, which I would normally let go to voicemail but if they called twice in a row I would worry).

And when I pull over, I first look for a parking lot, otherwise some out of the way place. I usually have to call the person back as they end up in voicemail before I can do all that. I cannot believe the people who will just stop in the middle of the road without moving to the side, or block a driveway or some other stupid thing. Unless someone is dying, no call is that important. Ever.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:37 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
Police cracking down on texting while driving

Am I correct in that this is a special month-long operation? Seems silly to go all out for one month, and then not. Especially when people know you're cracking down hard for one month, only to go back to normal the next month.

Certainly, I am for getting tough and punishing people who use their phones while driving. The amount of people I've seen any time I go out on the Merritt using their phones, texting, watching movies, etc, is uncomfortably high. I think to myself, do these people ever watch or read the news and see the horrible consequences of doing what they're doing?!

Sadly, the way of the world, it will not get much better. People will continue to do it no matter what. The best thing we can do is be as vigilant a defensive driver as possible. Perhaps more so than ever before.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:34 AM

68 posts, read 81,508 times
For telling time, I use a watch if I can't see the clock on my car dash. Unless you consider an analog watch already strapped to your wrist a "portable electronic device".....

Old 04-03-2015, 06:45 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,103 times
Norwalk PD posted on FB today that they ticketed 77 people yesterday alone for distracted driving....

Old 04-03-2015, 06:55 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starshrike View Post
For telling time, I use a watch if I can't see the clock on my car dash. Unless you consider an analog watch already strapped to your wrist a "portable electronic device".....
The way the statute is written specifically says "handheld". Most people don't hold their watches in their hand.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:34 AM

68 posts, read 81,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The way the statute is written specifically says "handheld". Most people don't hold their watches in their hand.
I suppose that rules out pocketwatches!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut