Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:34 PM

12 posts, read 99,427 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm a 37 yr. old stay at home mom born and raised in the New Orleans area. My husband is from CT. We are currently in Louisiana, but will probably be making a big move to CT in the next few months. I love the Northeast, but am worried about how a southern girl will fit in? I'd love to hear from other southerners who have successfully...and happily... transitioned to CT.

I love reading this board and have gained tons of helpful information. Thanks!

Angela
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 04:36 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,018,408 times
Angela

welcome to the state- I am not a recent movee to the state from the south- I am from the Washington DC area (which is below the Mason Dixon Line) But have lived here most of my life- so by this time I am just about a dyed in the wool New Englander.

There will be sure a certain amout of cultural shock here for you to absorb- but your hubby can help ease the transition for you since he is from the region.

Things that will be different; We have a moderately cold winter here; So that will be a significant change. Food and culinary habits will be drastically different (Seafood as in L.a, but cooked differently, lots of Italian, and other ethnic food, much more broiled, grilled and baked food with much less that is fried) But believe it or not Cajun can be found as well as Barbecue. People tend to be reserved at first-not overly friendly,but eventually are very pleasant. It is Considerably More socially liberal here- with much less emphasis on religion and the Church in individual lives;there is faster pace of life, and there will be higher costs for some items.

I am sure you will adjust and enjoy our beautiful state, its country roads, farms, vibrant towns and cities, culture, mountains and beaches. Hopefully other former southerner's can add their personal experiences here.Good luck.

Last edited by skytrekker; 11-29-2007 at 04:59 AM..

Old 11-29-2007, 06:46 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Angela - I think the key to fitting in is to actively seek out people of similar interests. Get out and join things to meet people. Here people keep to themselves mostly but if you have similar interests it will be easier to make friends. When you start looking for towns to live in, check out what activities you are interested in there are there and join them. Also there is a Newcomers Club in many towns here where you can meet other new people to the area. Jay

Old 11-29-2007, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 5,386 times
I moved here from Michigan many years ago. Some things haven't changed. You might notice that people are not initially as warm as down south or in the midwest. In Michigan the person at the next gas pump might start a conversation. Out here that isn't as likely to happen. You might have to go to Cracker Barrel to get okra and grits! There are nice people everywhere. You'll find em here too. Welcome to Connecticut!! Dave

Old 11-29-2007, 08:51 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,422,738 times
I'm originally from Tennessee--although I've lived in many parts of the country (Tucson, LA, Atlanta) since leaving at age 18. I have lived in Stamford, CT now for almost 2 years. I moved up from Brooklyn.
The life in CT as compared to life in TN is very different on some levels, and similar on others. The differences have mainly been pointed out by other posters--such as food differences, much more liberal, people are a tad more reserved (yet very friendly overall), and weather differences. I'd agree that they are all correct. The biggest difference I noticed right away was the lack of a multitude of Baptist churches and people trying to convert others to their religions. Religion is a large part of life here, but it's presented and lived daily much more privately and subdued.
I live in Fairfield County, and I absolutely would not live anywhere else. I'm 45 minutes from Manhattan, 5 minutes from the beach, an hour to mountains, and have all the "suburban and city" amenities rolled into one location in Stamford.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:31 PM

330 posts, read 1,401,888 times
I'm a native South Carolinian who is living quite happily in CT. The biggest changes for me are the weather and the lack of Southern Cuisine - but I've learned to fry a mean catfish - so I'm okay.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:04 PM

8 posts, read 26,174 times
Default Another Louisianian here...

Hey Angela! My husband and I are also from Louisiana (me--BR, him--NO) and we too are also moving to CT. Where will you be living? We are planning to buy in Fairfield County and also plan to make the move in the next few months. I have the same fears as you do. I would love to meet if we end up close. I am 35 and stay home with my girls. It would be great to meet some one to share gumbo with. If you want you can email me at kkingsmill@comcast.net! Katherine

Old 12-02-2007, 09:02 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,080 times
Whatever towns you may be considering, be on the lookout for a Newcomer's Club. It will be your salvation. CT is great except for the long winters. If you have kids, you'll LOVE the schools.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:52 AM

394 posts, read 2,002,757 times
Welcome to Ct! I hope you'll love it here. I've lived here 25 years. Before then I went to an American school in London my high school years, but I grew up in Oklahoma.

I think what I love best about Connecticut is the woods and scenery, and the New England feel in so many towns. But I think the hardest thing for me to get used to is all the development, we live in Fairfield County which is heavily developed. People on this board talk about certain towns in Fairfield County and describe them as quiet, quaint, rural etc., and I'm scratching my head thinking the opposite. I don't like the hustle and bustle of cities, traffic, and crowds, and would rather jab knitting needles in my eyes than go to NYC. LOL! It's all in a person's perspective, I grew up with less development and more nature, so I see it all differently. With you being from New Orleans you will be used to development, unlike me. But the people here are nice, and while you may not get much in the way of "how are you doing" from strangers, it's nothing personal, it's just the way people are here. I've been here so long I've become used to it. I think you'll love it here, you've got everything from mountains to beaches to cities, pretty much everything.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:41 PM

24 posts, read 101,315 times
Default New Orleans native

I was born and raised in NO too! I moved here to work for The Hartford! It is different but change can be good. The people here are very friendly,real and down to earth........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut