Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 04:59 AM

83,527 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the snow total map and updates!

Just when I was about to say everything trended drier for next couple weeks, the latest GFS has storm after storm again. Before I claim being wrong and let this thread die out we'll have to wait and see.

Dates to watch for these storms are 13th/14th.....17th.... & 22nd time frames.. Sunday is a light snow event. Mid Atlantic will see light snow beginning of the week.

High pressure is preventing us from getting any big storms next 7 days (surpressed)

Old 02-07-2014, 05:00 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,961,927 times
down on the shore in SE CT, weather.com is saying "snow showers" on Sunday.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:54 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I heard a coating to 3" statewide on the radio this morning for Sunday into Monday.

I don't really consider it a weather event until it is NWS advisory-level snow. Below that level, it is just nuisance snow, maybe tacking on an extra couple minutes to my commute, no big deal.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I heard a coating to 3" statewide on the radio this morning for Sunday into Monday.

I don't really consider it a weather event until it is NWS advisory-level snow. Below that level, it is just nuisance snow, maybe tacking on an extra couple minutes to my commute, no big deal.
well, we'll be above freezing on the shoreline for Sunday (high 35), so it could be mixed precipitation if it starts early enough on Sunday.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:29 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Wow, really? I thought the whole state was going to be below freezing. Good ol' warm SE coast pulls through again!

Old 02-07-2014, 07:27 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times
3-4" was the latest I heard today. Temps from the immediate shore can differentiate by as much as 10 degrees by the time you get to my house. It's funny since my parents in Milford always have different weather than we do in Wallingford. Gotta love the microclimate of CT.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
3-4" was the latest I heard today. Temps from the immediate shore can differentiate by as much as 10 degrees by the time you get to my house. It's funny since my parents in Milford always have different weather than we do in Wallingford. Gotta love the microclimate of CT.
I worked in Glastonbury and commuted from the shoreline for about a year. I remember last May, it would be in the low to mid 80s in Glastonbury and I'd be thinking I need to turn on the A/C when I get home... but, when I got home, it would be like 68. Granted, it probably dropped a few degrees after 5pm in both places, but it was a good 10-12 degrees difference during the day.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:38 AM

302 posts, read 295,985 times
Heck just Bridgeport to Trumbull is at very least a 5 degree difference (Bridgeport being warmer). ...and we border each other! That's why I hate some of the weather sites that show the temp for Trumbull using BDR. Way different most of the time.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:49 PM

679 posts, read 1,190,798 times
Winter Storm for South, East Next Week Could Signal a Pattern Change
By Alex Sosnowski, Expert Senior Meteorologist
February 07, 2014; 2:34 PM

Quote:
The southern storm will eventually reach the coast and turn northward. How quickly that storm moves up and attacks the cold air is the key to how extensive snow and ice problems will be in the Northeast.

According to Northeastern Weather Expert Dave Dombek, "If the storm is delayed until late in the week, the air will have more of a chance to warm up and fewer problems with snow and ice are likely, at least in coastal areas."

The storm may hold one of the keys to unlock springlike weather for a time in the East and South.
If the storm is indeed the caboose in the recent train of storms affecting the area, the door will be opened for a pattern change.

According to Long Range Senior Meteorologist Mark Paquette, "Once the storm around Valentine's Day is done affecting the East and South with its own pocket of cold air, look for milder air to build out from the Southwest to the South Central states and make it all the way to the Atlantic."

Above-average temperatures are expected to move into the East after Feb. 17.

"In the I-95 corridor, with millions of people having a major case of cabin fever, relief from the stormy and cold weather pattern will be experienced," Paquette said.

AccuWeather's long-range team is cautious about suggesting an end to winter with the pattern change.

The reprieve later in February is likely to be only a temporary one with stretches of chilly weather and a couple of winter storms likely to return from the Great Lakes to the Northeast in March.

"This upcoming March will be rather typical in the Northeast, with wide swings in temperature and weather conditions," Paquette said.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:09 PM

83,527 posts, read 75,333,969 times
I'm wondering if this past snowstorm drained the liquid and changed the atmosphere out of this weekend. From 4-8", to 1-3", now be lucky for a flurry. I was confident at least 1-3" would fall, but given the trends ONLY since last night, precip being shown by all models is pretty much null now. So I'll be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Yup & Yup, was at least 1-3" before today but SE CT was not in a favorable location for it anyway.

It's the Season of the 24hr changes. 5 days out change is a given but we've seen big 24hr changes a lot lately. We'll NEVER perfect the details of weather and in a sense I am happy about that. Leaves some fascination for the mind.

I'll update this thread on the mid week storm when I get around to it. Thanks tubeworm and others for keeping tabs on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut