Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 06:44 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiant_luv View Post
we would not prefer rent and drive after a long tiresome journey. Also, we got news it's been snowing out there. not too confident, never drove in these conditions. Thanks for your input.
I agree--I would NOT drive, especially if you're coming off an international flight. The traffic back to CT from JFK is trying even under normal circumstances. No thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 06:48 AM

16 posts, read 23,585 times
Quote:
You could try CT AirLink. There's no bus service directly from JFK to Bristol, but there is a pick up/drop off location in Southington, which I don't think is too far. One way fare from JFK to Southington is $64. Not sure how you'd get from Southington to Bristol though. Local cab probably, but I'm not familiar w/ any of the companies that service the area. CT Airlink Shuttle - Pick-Up/Drop-Off Southington
Quote:
I have used Premier Limo in the past as a business traveler and been fully satisfied:

https://www.premierlimo.net/jfk-limo-service.html

We used to get a $85 one-way corporate rate (which I thought was a steal)...count on about 2.5 hrs ride. They use big cars (or van) so luggage is not an issue.
Thank you very much. When I tried to get a quotation online I found $300. And both of you mentioned rate which is much cheaper, I am thinking why this much difference? Does limo service means a shared drive with other passengers?

Old 02-17-2014, 06:56 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Thank you very much. When I tried to get a quotation online I found $300. And both of you mentioned rate which is much cheaper, I am thinking why this much difference? Does limo service means a shared drive with other passengers?
I think that's correct...the 3 times I used them in the past, I did book it as a "shared ride"...that plus the corporate discount probably got me the $85 rate. In each case, there were no other passengers. Once I even felt guilty since I rode in a van all by myself! (very inefficient in terms of gas!)

You may want to call them directly, and also ask about dropoff points. It might be cheaper to get dropped off at certain hotels vs. other addresses. Even if you had to take a cab from there to your final destination it might work out. Good luck...

Last edited by htfdcolt; 02-17-2014 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: omission

Old 02-17-2014, 07:28 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,232,417 times
Quote:
The link I posted was for a shuttle bus service, with a drop off location at a park & ride in Southington, CT. Open the link and click on the "Rates" tab -- you'll see Southington, and to the right you will see the rate to/from JFK or LGA -- $64. I think they also offer private car service, which would be door-to-door and not a shared ride, and will be MUCH more.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I think that's correct...the 3 times I used them in the past, I did book it as a "shared ride"...that plus the corporate discount probably got me the $85 rate. In each case, there were no other passengers. Once I even felt guilty since I rode in a van all by myself! (very inefficient in terms of gas!)

You may want to call them directly, and also ask about dropoff points. It might be cheaper to get dropped off at certain hotels vs. other addresses. Even if you had to take a cab from there to your final destination it might work out. Good luck...
Thank you very much, very useful information. I will call and find out.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:57 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,399,065 times
Jfk area gets SMASHED with traffic. Just to get down the van wyck and across the whitestone can easily take an hour even though it's only a few miles. Then your dealing with traffic through I-95 corridor or 84 corridor. It's a complete mess. Best bet is train to new haven, then take a taxi/car service ect. to your house. Oh and there's no way in hell you're getting a limo from jfk to central ct for 85 bucks. That's a shared ride service from ctlimo. It's not a limo. It's basically a 14 passenger van that makes a ton of stops going out of your way most of the time. It will take a long time. MUCH easier to take train to new haven and go from there.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:04 AM

21,628 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Jfk area gets SMASHED with traffic. Just to get down the van wyck and across the whitestone can easily take an hour even though it's only a few miles. Then your dealing with traffic through I-95 corridor or 84 corridor. It's a complete mess. Best bet is train to new haven, then take a taxi/car service ect. to your house. Oh and there's no way in hell you're getting a limo from jfk to central ct for 85 bucks. That's a shared ride service from ctlimo. It's not a limo. It's basically a 14 passenger van that makes a ton of stops going out of your way most of the time. It will take a long time. MUCH easier to take train to new haven and go from there.
Not so.

You can't just "train it" to New Haven. It's a haul to get to Grand Central unless you take a very expensive cab ($50-$70 depending on traffic). You have to take the air train to Jamaica where you have to walk a few blocks to the Archer station, take at least 3 subways with some walking in between. This can easily take an hour or more, and is not fun with luggage.

Sit in an hour of traffic on the Van Wyck > drag luggage for an hour across NYC

Old 02-17-2014, 08:13 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,399,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Not so.

You can't just "train it" to New Haven. It's a haul to get to Grand Central unless you take a very expensive cab ($50-$70 depending on traffic). You have to take the air train to Jamaica where you have to walk a few blocks to the Archer station, take at least 3 subways with some walking in between. This can easily take an hour or more, and is not fun with luggage.

Sit in an hour of traffic on the Van Wyck > drag luggage for an hour across NYC
Oh. My mistake. I'm thinking from nyc quickest way to ct.

I can't believe there's no direct connection to metro north from jfk with the amount of people coming in there. That's ridiculous they make you go to grand central. Didn't they spend a fortune on some type of sky train that runs down the van wyck?

Old 02-17-2014, 08:20 AM

21,628 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Oh. My mistake. I'm thinking from nyc quickest way to ct.

I can't believe there's no direct connection to metro north from jfk with the amount of people coming in there. That's ridiculous they make you go to grand central. Didn't they spend a fortune on some type of sky train that runs down the van wyck?
Yeah, that's the Air Train going to the Jamaica station. It's like a triangle - ends at either Jamaica or Howard Beach, where you have to walk to other stations to get to Manhattan.

It has always amazed me that, in a city which boasts among the best mass transit in the world, there is no direct connection between Midtown Manhattan and JFK.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:40 AM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on train services, it sounds very complicated. When we reach we'll be already tired and we don't think we'd able to shift cab/metro/walk/train/cab and finally to hotel. We're thinking to opt-out train/bus. A city-to-city taxi (shared/ exclusive) is much better to match our need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut