Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 08:44 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times

Advertisements

You're forgetting the important word- traffic. To get to NW CT from Manchester you have to go through Hartford area commute traffic. Why do that if you don't have to.

Why is Tolland too close to Hartford? If Tolland is too close then Colchester is only 20 or so minutes from Hartford- you'll be working in Manchester, what does Hartford have to do with anything except traffic.

The schools out in the NW CT in Torrington, Winchester, etc. are mediocre at best compared to the towns people have been suggesting.

Colchester is a good choice. Great, big, new England town green in the center of town, basic local shopping, movie theater, hospital satellite clinic, decent schools. Up and coming town, lots of home choice in your price range. Schools while decent are a notch below South Windsor, Tolland, Hebron, Marlborough IMO

Marlborough is the next town north from Colchester and you could use Colchester for the most part for local shopping. Marlborough is part of the Hebron, Andover, Marlborough schools district for middle & senior high schools but has its own elementary school.

Be careful what you wish for - lol. If you want " deserted" , then you're not going to have chain restaurants & shopping malls. For the most part, you can't have neighborhoods where your kids are going to ride bikes on the cul de sac and be too, too rural at the same time.

Last edited by willow wind; 02-20-2014 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 08:55 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Marlborough is the next town north from Colchester and you could use Colchester for the most part for local shopping. Marlborough is part of the Hebron, Andover, Marlborough schools district for middle & senior high schools but has its own elementary school.

Be careful what you wish for - lol. If you want " deserted" , then you're not going to have chain restaurants & shopping malls. For the most part, you can't have neighborhoods where your kids are going to ride bikes on the cul de sac and be too, too rural at the same time.
I agree with this. I live in Marlborough but am closer to Glastonbury for shopping. In fact, I rarely (if ever) set foot in Colchester, I have no reason to. Others in town use East Hampton for grocery shopping, it all depends where in the town you are located.

If you want rural, then you don't want big box stores and shopping malls in your backyard (forget about South Windsor). If you are mixing up "rural" with "suburban", then we can adjust what towns we are recommending for you.

Marlborough schools are viewed as superior to Colchester's, but Colchester has a big box grocery store if that is important to you. Also, I agree that commuting from the NW part of the state is insane, unless you work third shift and even then, hope there is never any snow, ice or other weather event to slow you down.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:04 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,961,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I agree with this. I live in Marlborough but am closer to Glastonbury for shopping. In fact, I rarely (if ever) set foot in Colchester, I have no reason to. Others in town use East Hampton for grocery shopping, it all depends where in the town you are located.

If you want rural, then you don't want big box stores and shopping malls in your backyard (forget about South Windsor). If you are mixing up "rural" with "suburban", then we can adjust what towns we are recommending for you.

Marlborough schools are viewed as superior to Colchester's, but Colchester has a big box grocery store if that is important to you. Also, I agree that commuting from the NW part of the state is insane, unless you work third shift and even then, hope there is never any snow, ice or other weather event to slow you down.
I agree with mels - Malborough would be a great choice. Good school system, and close to Glastonbury for all the amenities there. (Malborough shares a school system with Andover & Hebron, two other towns you may want to look at as well). However, you'll have to either swing through Hartford to get to Manchester, or take back roads (Rte 83) through Glastonbury to get to Manchester.

Ellington might not be a bad choice, either. Schools are not rated quite as highly as Tolland or Malborough, but they're still pretty good. Granby might be okay as well - good schools, easy access to amenities in nearby Simsbury and Windsor, and you can get onto 291 to get into Manchester.

Tolland would be good, too. Also a very good school system, and they do have access a grocery store in town, plus it gives you easy access to amenities in nearby Vernon/Rockville and South Windsor/Manchester.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Malborough would be a great choice. Good school system, and close to Glastonbury for all the amenities there. (Malborough shares a school system with Andover & Hebron, two other towns you may want to look at as well). However, you'll have to either swing through Hartford to get to Manchester, or take back roads (Rte 83) through Glastonbury to get to Manchester.
I wouldn't consider Rt. 83 a back road. To get to Manchester from Marlborough, I will generally take Rt. 94 (Hebron Ave) then either go up to Keeney St through Glastonbury or up Rt. 83 in Glastonbury. Both are main roads that are very well traveled. You never have to go anywhere near Hartford to get to Manchester.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't consider Rt. 83 a back road. To get to Manchester from Marlborough, I will generally take Rt. 94 (Hebron Ave) then either go up to Keeney St through Glastonbury or up Rt. 83 in Glastonbury. Both are main roads that are very well traveled. You never have to go anywhere near Hartford to get to Manchester.
True, but there are stops along 83 - the light crossing Hebron Avenue, and then when you get into Manchester as well.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:53 AM

46 posts, read 135,122 times
Default Thanks

Thanks All, I am glad I asked this question. You said that the towns I listed were kind of poor and mediocre towns.

Marlborough is definatly one option, and what about Willington? is that a good area or what about Willimantic, is that a good area?

Old 02-20-2014, 09:53 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Marlborough.
Yeah, OP here's a nice house for 350k in Mborough, taxes are not listed, schools are ranked pretty high, over 4 acres.

31 South Rd, Marlborough, CT 06447 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Old 02-20-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchester2 View Post
what about Willington? is that a good area or what about Willimantic, is that a good area?
Willimantic: bustling/commercial section of the town of Windham. Known (fairly or not) for drug use, particularly its heroin problems. I doubt anyone would advise you to live there if you are looking for solid schools in a rural area.

Willington: schools are nothing special and poverty rate is especially high (which I didn’t realize), just not as high as Windham’s. Is that UConn's nearby presence (students) jacking up that rate?

Old 02-20-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Willimantic: bustling/commercial section of the town of Windham. Known (fairly or not) for drug use, particularly its heroin problems. I doubt anyone would advise you to live there if you are looking for solid schools in a rural area.

Willington: schools are nothing special and poverty rate is especially high (which I didn’t realize), just not as high as Windham’s. Is that UConn's nearby presence (students) jacking up that rate?
I thought Willington students go to EO Smith in Storrs for high school? EO Smith generally rates very highly in terms of test scores - probably because the kids there are children of UConn & ECSU professors?

Not sure about before high school, though.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:27 AM

468 posts, read 708,943 times
Willington students do go to E.O. Smith for high school (unlike Willimantic). EO Smith has a great reputation (and has had since the 1960s, when it was the best public high school in the state) and is unique in Connecticut due to its relationship with the University, its agricultural programs, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut